The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Can anyone help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tech21
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Tech21
I am a new memeber in this Café. My profession is Window Washing, and I do magic part time on the side. A lot of my clients that I meet through window washing, also book me for their kid's parties.

Anyway, I'm wanting to add some birds to my birthday party show, but don't know much about where to start. I understand that the birds are hidden on your body, but that's about all I really know.

I'm really interested in adding my parakeet to the show, but don't think he'd keep quiet in any props. Are there any books or videos on this subject?

Any information would be awesome! I feel completely lost!

Thank you all!
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Hi there, welcome to the Café ... I don't do birds, but I think you'll get more help by telling us more about your performance in these kids parties ... based on your question I can tell you are just starting out. You're initiative is great, but one step at a time. As far as I know, working with birds is not an easy thing.

:comply:
Tech21
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Tech21
Right now I am only performing things like Hippity Hop Rabbits, Genni Tube, A few Sponge Ball tricks, and some card tricks.

I've worked with my parakeet a lot as a pet, and he's really tame. I'm just not sure of what to do from here.
:confused: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5769 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
What ever you use for livestock, the kids are going to want to get their hands on it to pet, touch, etc. I would recommend a simple prop production of a live critter before you get into bare handed bird productions. Something really tame and not prone to running away from a comotion.

What ever you decide I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers,

Tom
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hi Tech,

I just put out a video covering parakeets, doves, and parrots. There's a lot of beginner items described on there, including taming your parakeet for shows, etc... Here's my website for more information. http://www.MagicalBirds.com

If you have any questions at all, regarding any bird productions, please feel free to contact me personally. DaveWomach@Yahoo.com

Good luck!

Dave

Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Tech21,
Be very, very careful in using livestock in a show!
If anything -- and I mean ANYTHING -- untoward should happen to the critter, the audience will flay you alive! (And, probably, rightly so!)
There are some good bird books around, most notably Edwin's Encyclopedia of Dove Magic, if you can lay your hands on a copy.
It was put out by the now-defunct British-based Supreme Magic Co.
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I'm thinking of getting a dove to work with. They seem like a very good addition to my kid and future stage show. Anybody have some good reference for dove magic?
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
There are several references for dove magic for beginners. If you cant find the above mentioned Edwins encyclopedia I belive Abbotts came out with one as well. Training doves to help you perform magic is not a short time process. Some doves take anywhere from a few months to a year to train. There are also several schools of thought on how to prevent them from flying during a show. Research all that's out there first before you decide that you want to make the investment.

S. Patrick
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Reference to Dove magic information reminds me of Ian Adair. Aearn't the Adair Encylopedia of Dove Magic volumes still popular? I remember my first encounter with volumes 1-4. Whew! what a great treat. I left the world behind while reading page after page.

Go to this site and get his video:
Click Here!

Adair is the author of Ian Adair's Art of Dove Magic. Author of the famous "Encyclopedia of Dove Magic"
and originator of many marketed dove effects. You'll find what you need within this video and his books.

There are other advanced sources but this is a great foundation to build on! Smile
Steven Best
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Steven Best
Tech21:

I just got Dave's new video on bird magic a few days ago. I've been working with birds for years.
His video would be a great start on working with your parakeet. There are very few books writen on the subject, and nothing really on video. Dave goes though it all.
Of course like the others mentioned; Ian Adair's books have a lot of information in them aswell.
Chavez Encyclopedia of Dove Magic is also good.
Tony Clark has a three volume set of videos on dove magic, they are also a great buy!

But if you'd like to do magic with your parakeet, I'd highly recommend Dave Womach's new video. His website is mentiond in a post above mine.

best of luck in the art of bird magic!

-Steven
Steven Best
Vancouver, Canada
www.StevenBest.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Can anyone help? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL