The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Shallowness of the net (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NabsS
View Profile
New user
Geneva (Switzerland)
97 Posts

Profile of NabsS
Comprehensive as it may seem, the internet is actually very shallow (with respect to things which happened before its creation and especially things from other cultures than the anglo-saxon culture). Example: I search for "Myr & Myroska", famous French mentalist couple of the 60s famous for their phrase "S’il n’y a pas de truc c’est formidable, mais s’il y a un truc, reconnaissez que c’est encore plus formidable." (Translated as : If there is no trick, it's awesome, but if there is a trick, recognize that it is even more awesome). All they have online is a small wikipedia article in french (including this quotation) and certain forums, but most importantly of all NO VIDEOS. In fact there are very few videos of anything of over 20 years ago,. even things which aired on black-and-white TV.

Do you have any other experiences about the shallowness of the internet?
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1630 Posts

Profile of Futureal
It's not still April Fool's Day in your country is it? That HAD to be a joke.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3245 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Shallow, but very, very wide...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
Well you must consider that practical video recording and converting has not been around for all that long. Most people don't really care about a mentalist from the past (sad but true). The effort required to get a video like that on the net is not worth the small number of people that would need it.

The internet is not shallow at all. I can type just about anything into the search bar and get results that explore every bit of the topic. I think your search was just a tad specific.

As always,
Dylan
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I think that you got a hit on your search at all on that search proves the depth of information online.

Imagine walking into the average magic shop asking the same thing?

And as Dylan said, no matter what topic, recordings of the early years of television are sparse. And much of what went live was never recorded for future archival.

Like the world's ocean, there are deep parts and not so deep parts. I think the Internet is not Borges' infinite library, but it's close!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Shallowness of the net (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL