We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Art of Astonishment- What's really practical? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kairan
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of kairan
Dannydoyl,
I define the word `practical`<in terms of magic> that it can be done surrounded and not possible to figure it out.<<virtually same as you!.>>
Ive only performed magic for 2years, and I have a problem towards magic such as coins,
I think that I'm missing a lot from not learning any coin magic, however, I think that most of them are easy to figure out. It all becomes simple when one questions, is the coin really in that hand?

so I'm always looking for close ups that can mystify people with surefire magic.

id appreciate if I could get more information on those type of magic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Go with the books I mentioned. They will help you a LOT.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2006-04-10 17:05, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am not a Paul Harris fan at all. I don't think his style or his tricks really work too well if you want to work every night either table hopping or strolling which is what most guys want or need to do. ....

I have never had the slightest desire to do either table hopping or strolling. Is this really what "most guys want to do"? Certainly a lot of fine magicians do these, but if you only value what is practical in these situations, then a lot of great magic is eliminated.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Glenn I define practical in those situations in which I find myself.

I find myself working a LOT. In the situations described. Tricks that require one spectator at the correct angle do not interest me in the least.

Magic for me is a job. one I work at 6 nights a week. So to define practical in these terms makes sense to me. I am not eliminating anything as I don't do magic for any other reason than to get paid. It is not a hobby.

My friend is a professional fisherman. He does NOT do it as a hobby. So his requirements for what is "practical" are stunningly different from myself, although the end is the same. Catch fish.

If I don't find myself in any situations than those mentioned, "practical" has a different meaning for me. This was my point all along,
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6916 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sounds like you don't enjoy magic anymore, Danny.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So now to enjoy magic I have to have a trunk of useless crap, and foist tricks on unsuspecting people?

Why can't I enjoy it under the terms described? It has provided me a life I could never get any other way.

so to enjoy it I have to stop getting paid? You really must be kidding.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
Generally speaking not all magicians are equal in ability and what is pracitcal for some is not practical for others. No magician should ever bite off more than he can chew in public.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2824 Posts

Profile of John Long
Wow, this post got revived after 4 years hiatus.

Might as well add my 2c.

As far as what's "practical", as mentioned above, that depends on your needs, but I would agree w/Platt that some of those "tricks" are not something that I would do more than once(maybe less). They are "cute", fun to read about, but not somthing I would use. Yet, I was very please with Galaxy(V3) and the linking cards (V2). I've not learned many of the tricks(lack of time, not interest), but I can accept that there may be just a few tricks per book that are really for me. Then given that I saved some money by buying the whole set at once, and say I really like 3 tricks per book, that comes to under $12/trick; that's not bad. The longer I have them, the more things I get out of them, so the cost/trick keeps dropping.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
I like Bizarre Twist, Cardboard Connection, Flash Fold, The Shape of Astonishment, Bizarre Shrink, All of the coin stuff (if just for the patter!), Immaculate Connection and a bunch of others I'm forgetting. And yep, some of Paul's stuff is pure "what was he smoking?" material but far more good than bad in these books.
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I have used Chocolate Coin several times with an old silver dollar - it works great. I have used the leaf trick twice - each time it fooled and entertained. My in-laws were in town and we were hiking in the mountains when we decided to take a break. I noticed I had a sharpie in my pocket so I went to work. Even my wife was fooled, and she is my toughest critic! Improv nightshades is another good one. I just carry the gimmick in my card case and when I'm done the spectator gets to keep the souvenir. I haven't tried the chocalate bar yet, but I plan on it. I have used Solomon's Surprise, or something like that, where you make a drink appear after a short coin and hankerchief routine. All practical stuff!

Scott Compton
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Art of Astonishment- What's really practical? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL