The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Why not combo? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Donnie,
Will the Foxy 3's be weight balanced the way the Mendoza's are? Or is that something special to just that set?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 12:44, dmueller wrote:
Im looking at picking up the Ammar DVD's. I have trouble learning moves and such from reading so I am starting off with visual instruction.

Donnie, what is the retail price on the Foxy 3's?
I have Ammar's DVDs and they are great but alas they don't have any routines with Combo Cups.

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 12:35, DDecae wrote:
The new Foxy 3 Combo Cups are still a couple of weeks away from being released but they are a super set of cups whether you use them straight or with a Chopped Ball. They accomodate 1 1/8" balls if you don't need to do a 3 ball stack. They work best with 1" balls (IMO). I was able to even use 7/8" balls for the move that WingChun was concerned about in his thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=115&22
They are heavy cups with the combo gaff spun into them. They are spun from .064 heavy gauge copper and weigh 1/2 pound per cup.
If I was shopping for a combo set of cups, I'd wait until these came out - but I'm a little biased! Smile
Donnie

WHYYYY do you do this to me? I'm running out of money! Sign me up for a set.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Hi Dave,
I'm not sure what you mean by "weight balanced", but I'm guessing that you are asking about the weight relationship between the mouth and the saddle.
Being a cone, or cylinder, that is hand-spun on a lathe, the weight of the cup is evenly distributed around it's entire circumference. But the weight proportions from mouth to saddle differ. We are careful to not push too much metal to the mouth of the cup so the gauge is left thickest nearer the saddle. Plus the spun-in gaff adds more weight above the center bead to the saddle. So they will roll over to a mouth-up position very nicely, and if you drop one it's going to want to land mouth up like an Okito Coin Box or "on its feet" like a cat.

And DMueller, the price isn't entirely established yet, but I expect they will be about the same as the Mendozas. They are taking a little less shop time to produce, but the cooper is thicker and more expensive.

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 1:54pm
Andrew, I take Visa...
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Donnie, is the Foxy 3 a new design that is only in the Combo lineup or will they be available as a regular set?

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Foxy 3 straight cups and Foxy 3 Combo Cups will be released at the same time.

Both sets are spun from .064 copper and are heavy sets of cups. The combo set is even heavier because of the added spun in gaff. Only the combo set is made from new tooling though. The 3.0 straight set is the same cup as the 2.5, but the 3.0 is spun from a heavier gauge copper. You will be surprised how much difference it makes in the performance, quality and feel of the cup though. It's worthy of the numeric upgrade and a designation as a new version. Smile
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
One more question Donnie, will they be released in the hand applied bronze versions, chrome, etc?

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile

Smile Smile Smile Smile
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Don,

I'm really looking forward to getting a set of those Foxy 3s. I don't suppose you make up sets of balls in different colors?

KG
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Kent, I can't get your routine to work with them... there's one phase that's just killing me - the 1" balls are too small, and if I upgrade to 1 1/8" balls I can't do the 3 ball stack...
But I haven't made up any sets in different colors - even after you sent me the combinations.

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 2:48pm
Hi Dom!
Yes they will be, but not initially. The first run will all be Copper Mirror Finish, then I'll do another run with Bright Chrome finish. The Antique Bronze takes at least 6 weeks to get done, and since we are moving into the springtime, it might even take a little longer.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Don,

I have an alternate handling for the part where the balls show up on top of another cup in a little threesome. If you would, send me an email and I'll expand.

Thanks for thinking of my funky routine!

KG
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 13:54, DDecae wrote:
Andrew, I take Visa...

I know. I'm thinking of just physically sending you the card in the mail and you can go hog wild until it's empty.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
It's catching... that cup fever has no cure Andrew...
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Psshhh, I've already given up hope of finding help. I am, however, pitching a new reality series a la Celebrity Rehab for magicians. Actually it's just a big joke...we take 12 C&B addicts, drive them to Bill Palmer's house, and watch them lose their minds on national television.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Andrew... pm me if you maybe can come to Dean's Shoppe tomorrow (Wed.)
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Etienne M.
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
75 Posts

Profile of Etienne M.
Don,

Does the foxy 3 combo set still take a tennisball as a final load just like the 2.5's ?

Etienne
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

-- Albert Einstein
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Floyd, yes it does - that was the reason the cups needed new tooling - so the inner diameter would remain the same and accomodate a tennis ball. The tolerances are very tight, the tennis ball is an exact fit.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 16:31, Andrewzuber wrote:
Psshhh, I've already given up hope of finding help. I am, however, pitching a new reality series a la Celebrity Rehab for magicians. Actually it's just a big joke...we take 12 C&B addicts, drive them to Bill Palmer's house, and watch them lose their minds on national television.

If you will supply the security, I'll go for it!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
I have received my combo set of Bazar De Magica. I am going to be looking into a few sets of alternative balls. Seriously considering throwing down the cash for 2 sets of the RNT2. One set with a gimmicked ball and another set without. The balls that came with it tend to run away on my mat. They could also stand to be just a hair bigger. The chop cup won't pick up the chop ball when it is on top of another cup.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This thread explains about the balls:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/reply......70673530
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
Bill, I am getting an error when I click on that link. What is the title of the thread you are refering me to and I will do a search Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Why not combo? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL