The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hey Check this 3Fly out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Navy
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Navy
Well, I have mine working just fine and dandy. I made it my trick and do it quite slowly, because I do not think magic has to be rushed. Learned that from Al Cohen. I also am not afraid to shell out money for a good routine. Yes I can do these routines with regular coins with the Sylvester Pitch, but I like great gimmicks. This is great.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
For me, part of the problem is holding the coins up vertically with the back of the hands to the audience. This is not a natural way of holding or handling coins for a lay person -- so they will always be suspicious of that part of the hand they cannot see. It is possible to do 3Fly type effects with the hands at waist level, flat and open and only the three coins in evidence.

So, it is not a matter of when to show only three coins, but one of illiminating the suspicion by naturally showing the hands empty throughout the effect -- never making an issue out of it to draw attention. I'm not against using Gaffs instead of a fourth coin, only in making moves that appear natural -- with a sensible lead in and exit.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
I like Gaffs.But if you can do the trick without the gaff and it looks the same
why not.Some of the Gaffs just do not look real.With the fourth coin you can
end the trick with success you can show both hands.

Everyone has there own preference and what works best for them.It a has to
look casual and natural.Hopefully in time we get that way and how we want
it to look.

Paul
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
When you say ... looks the same ... do you mean subtle looks for exactly the same?

SYRS
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I don't understand how "hand up in front of face with backs to the audience" looks anything like "waist high, open hands palm up."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 22:12, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Kirk, folks, if you show them three coins to start and you don't give them any reason to wonder if you somehow got more coins from somewhere ... they are not going to expect you have a coinpurse, a pack of cards and three superballs in your hands either.

One strategy, if you get the coins from a coinbox or purse, is to spill out the contents which include a fourth coin, and set that aside in plain view or ask them to hand you coins one at a time till you have three at your fingertips. They know how many coins are on the table and how many you picked up. Whether or not you took a moment to acquire others/gaffs/swap out the lot via stealth needs to be far outside their concerns IMHO.

When it comes to presenting magic; if you are hiding behind the trick/effect - they may want to see more and go exploring. If you are standing in front of the trick/effect inviting them to see the magic ( and the tricks look magical without distraction ) the audience is far less likely to spoil their own fun.

All good points Jon,

I totally agree that reinforcing the point that there are only three is a good idea. I also think that not looking cramped or ham fisted is a good idea too. I think that is part about getting in front of the magic.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 23:05, Eric Jones wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-06 21:59, KirkG wrote:

Eric,

I think it is important to reinforce the idea that there are just three coins in play, from the beginning and through the routine and then end. This also gives them a breather moment to strengthen in their mind where the one coin is and the two coins are. So when that situation changes, the magic is all the more real.

I would usually agree with you.....but....I have been playing with different rhythms and ideas to make the routine play differently for my audiences. More often than not, and whether they say it or not, after the first coin goes across, they know at that moment there is an extra coin. Even if they can't see it, they know it's there. I know this because people aren't stupid. They know there's something going on. They know they can't catch it.

But for those who are insistant on trying, my experimentation has involved playing with this notion, to make the overall effect even stronger. I hope I can show you what I mean one day in person. Until then, I'm satisfied with agreeing to disagree.

Respectfully,

Eric

Eric,

I am always willing to have an opportunity to discuss or watch magic with you. And I am perfectly fine to disagree on many points. I look forward to see the new rhythms you are talking about.

One point: I totally agree that when the first coin goes across the spectators first thought, is extra coin(s). Therefore, dispelling that distracting thought is paramount in my thinking. Whether by gaff or technique, convince them there is only three. I think ALL magic is about them "not being able to catch it" or it wouldn't be magic! Smile

It they really thought there is an extra pea and that you could switch them in and out without them seeing it, then there is no reason to play. Same as for 3 Fly. Coins cleanly moving from one hand to another, is the magic for that trick. Anything that accomplishes that, is fine with me.

In keeping with Jon's thought, if you are in front of the magic, you are the magic and no matter what you do, they will like it. So each of us may get "good" reactions with whatever approach we take, and it won't be until we do both approaches with good presentation that we will know which is more effective, most of the time.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-04-07 06:58, funsway wrote:
For me, part of the problem is holding the coins up vertically with the back of the hands to the audience. This is not a natural way of holding or handling coins for a lay person...

If you are working for just a few people and they are quite near you - I'd likely agree that palms up open display is more appropriate - as they are looking down onto your hands. If you have folks a couple of steps away it becomes more natural to hold things up and close to vertical so they can see what you're holding.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Navy
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Navy
I found this on Chastain's site. Perhaps this might solve some of the questions.

http://www.magicbyenigma.com/phlyedemo2.html
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
Thanks Navy that was pretty good variation.

Syrs
Navy
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Navy
I am Jerry, although I have the size correctly formatted I can't get my avatar to work.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/DA......0073.jpg
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
I watched the video again and I can't see how he is getting the gimmicks in and out.

SYRS
Navy
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Navy
It is pretty *** clean. I would like to see this in the Morgan.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I would definitely agree that the second demo is much better than the first. I am sure we could get to the point where there were just three coins in the hand and then the routine starts.

Not a bad price for a good variation of the three fly genre.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Looks like a useful coin set for more than just the coins across.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Navy
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Navy
Yes indeed. I own it.
tophead
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of tophead
Ahh expensive coin gaffs/sets... I love playing with them but usually end up doing stuff without gaffs. There are so many great gaffs that can be found cheaply and these expensive sets never really seem to progress the effects they try to.
magicxman
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of magicxman
Ya, I agree this gaff set is too expensive. I like to perform 3 Fly without gaff.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Hey Ponte the Smith has some really great ideas and clean displays on his 3-Fly on the Sick DVD.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I have watched all the demo videos of this now. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I like how the hands don't come together at all. On the other hand there seems to be some unnatural looking adjustments to the coins in the clean up. I'm intriuged but not sold on it yet. Does anyone have this?

Kind regards
Sean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hey Check this 3Fly out (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL