The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hey Check this 3Fly out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
Navy has them.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I appreciate my work being brought up here in this discussion, it has some good stuff in there IMHO.

As to Phlye, I don't know, I think CC does it too fast or it happens too fast to me. The hands don't move enough and some of the movements are quite suspicious looking, especially the last coin going over. I also have a different view as to showing the hands empty...I moreso look at a slightly different aspect which is showing that you only have 3 coins and not so simply that the hands are empty as the coins travel. To me there's a real difference to it and I think it reinforces more to the spec even if they are inclined to think that you might have an extra coin. it settles them and allows them to enjoy the magic in spite of themselves.

To me, to do 3 Fly like this new version is almost like not being a part of the effect.

There is no "seasoning" to Phlye IMHO, the coins just jump from one hand to the other (with no slickness or style to it). There is no drama to it or dynamic to the intended movement or motions, not to mention that some of them are not tight.

I'm not a big gaff guy but I do believe in good value. So, if it was $1 to walk up an old tenement flight of stairs or $20 to ride a fancy escalator the same distance to the same destination sorta, well you see where I'm going. Might try the escalator for $2, even if I wasn't tired, or something like that. Just my 2 cents as to value, quality, worth and whatever.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I've looked at the updated vids here and it was done a bit better. Seems like an interesting coin set, sorta like his Cartel Coins. Not sure about the price of these things but if price is no object or you're lucky enough to get a set sent to you for free because of who you are, well then enjoy them. Certainly what CC has done here is something more added to the craft than not IMHO and sorry for any hard knock here. Just the same, good luck with it. It's all magic and it's all good. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Coin Nut
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Coin Nut
I like the new video, a clean effect with a friendly and coherent commentary - very entertaining which to me is the important thing.

A couple of the moves seem slightly suspect but that is probably because everyone analyses the video searching for these. Would anyone in the real world notice, such as at a restaurant venue table show - probably not.

It is great to see new coin effects and the developments taking place, thanks Chastain.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? Folks are complaining because the guy who got the gaffs working shows his technology in action without a presentation. Complaining that the trick works exactly as engineered without need to pause, fuss, shuffle, regrip or fret over complicated sleights? Friggen amazing. Well no, not around here. Typical and sad.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
Good point Jonathan - I never understood the need to see a presentation of another magician to begin with. Not on a marketed item. It is good for folks learning presentational angles and learning theater but not for those wanting to make a trick or piece their own. The original recording device recorded on tubes, now lasers do all the work ... take an idea and advance it not perpetuate it.

SYRS
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yeah JT, why even have umpires in baseball, especially when through today's computers and lasers we can get every call, balls & strikes at the plate correct if we want. Smile Who knows, maybe all that imperfection you mention might be the human element in these things. Smile But when it's done good, you don't really see all those imperfections and it's not all that complicated, but hey I know what you guys mean. Smile

magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
MB? You are comparing the aspect of invention with decision making?
I was simply revering to the Invention vs. Performance. The content of the recording is not reflective to the process in how it's recorded. Apples and oranges
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2010-05-14 14:57, magicalwishes wrote:
MB? You are comparing the aspect of invention with decision making?
I was simply revering to the Invention vs. Performance...

Why yes I am. Smile Perhaps we are speaking of different things as to what's important here, wishes. Sorta like Republicans and Democrats, apples and oranges for sure but both valid & invalid perspectives on mostly the same things.

Like I said, "...but hey, I know what you guys mean."

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

No

Why are you complaining that a demonstration of an engineering feat is not performed with the sort of style you'd like to see when performing a trick for an audience?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes

What? errrrrrr, I'm sorry, I meant "Whatever."

Let's get to the top of the next page here and stop arguing balls & strikes. How about that?

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-14 22:47, Mb217 wrote:
Yes

What? errrrrrr, I'm sorry, I meant "Whatever."

Let's get to the top of the next page here and stop arguing balls & strikes. How about that?

NO How about we simply stop confusing apples and oranges and then going on to post about why the apples are not lemonade to our taste?

A is for apple. It's an apple. How about appreciating it as an apple? Now if you want to get clever and make something fancy and fun with that apple, all the better.

In this case someone has a mechanical approach to the trick where you are free to fuss, fidget, tell jokes, display the coins almost as you please. Just because he does not inject the sort of style you want in your presentation seems a strange reason to offer negative criticism of his video or the engineering behind his item.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Actually, I'm incapable of confusing apples with oranges, thank you. Smile

And as the great Jimmy Durante would say, "Goodnight Mrs. Kalabash." Smile

Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
I know I am late to this discussion, real late. But I just wanted to mention.... Jt you are totally right in that in the video cc was demonstrating the use of his coins not presenting a new routine. At least, it did not seam like a routined presentation. I believe mb was thinking that when cc says, "this is Phlye" he is referring to the routine in the video as if it is supposed to be some unique 3fly presentation. In that respect I would have to agree with mb, not much flare there and some suspect moves. Apples and oranges.
Peace and love
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Hey Check this 3Fly out (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL