The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Opinion on best linking Safety Pins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Meshuggina
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Meshuggina
I'm wondering what the best made linking Safety Pins is, and would be happy to be pointed at references for routines, etc. If there's a thread I'll be happy to be pointed to that too, as my searching is failing me tonight.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jerry Andrus' ... none better.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Are the Jerry Andrus pins available currently?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I've seen them advertised somewhere... maybe do a google search? Just did and Hank Lee and Viking list them.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2010-04-07 10:42, 0pus wrote:
Are the Jerry Andrus pins available currently?

The original Jerry Andrus pins went "OOP" about 20+ years ago. I believe that approx 2-3 years ago the Jerry Andrus pins were re-released. I have no idea about the quality of the 2nd edition pins but I understand that they also of high quality.

From what I understand, that the reason that it took so long to re-release the pins is because a source of similar high quality pins like Jerry used could not be found until recently.

Does anyone have experience with both versions/editions of these pins?

Mike

P.S. Another good linking pins set is the Dan Garrett set of pins. Uses a different methodology than the Jerry Andrus pins but is also very good.

Then there are the Slydini Linking Pins. Again a totally different methodology than the Andrus pins or the Garrett pins. I've seen a set but never had an opportunity to play around with them.

Finally, there are the Dreamweaver pins (much smaller pins than the other aforesaid three sets of pins). As I recall, the Dreamweaver set essentially uses the same methodology as the Dan Garrett pins--but then also incorporates an additional "feature" into the pin set to accomplish an additional methodological "link" of the pins.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
216 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
Alexander deCova has a great ending on the linking pins!
He has a purse with a few pins in it. At the beginning he ditches all pins onto the table and takes out his 3 pins and puts back the other pins and lays the purse aside.
Then he performes the linking pins and as an ending he takes all the pins out of the purse and they are all linked.

Just a suggestion on an ending.

Matthew
Practicing is like a bank, if you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out!
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Chazpro re-released Andrus' pins, with Jerry's permission.

I have heard they are high quality.

RevJohn
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Although the pins by Chazpro work just fine, the originals are a better quality pin.

Occasionally a set shows up on Ebay.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22410 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No one mentioned the Bernstine Linking Pins Routine HERE Still another method of working the Linking Safety Pins. Totally different method to the others.

Chazpro obtained the rights and he makes them to Jerry Andrus specifications. The pins are available at any JoAnn Fabric store in set of 3 for a couple dollars. These nice heavy duty large 3" Safety Pins are excellent to work with. The gimmick is very difficult to make for the Andrus version.

I believe Chespro has also reprinted the book 'Safety Pin Trix' by Andrus as well. The routine that comes with the pins is really a mini magic act, with progressive phase routine that builds to delight the onlooker. It is also fun to perform.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5382 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I have both the originals and the re-released Chazpro pins. Both are very nice.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
There are knock-offs out there and they suck.

They are very thick and you have to pretty much break your finger thumping so hard on the thump moves.

I recently lost my Jerry set and bought more Jerry pins from Hocus Pocus. They work really good and you are able to do the handkerchief slide trick with them. That is without shredding your kerchief.

Randi
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Bruce's routine is actually quite good and doesn't have the angle issues I experienced with the Andrus gaff. The Andrus routine was great though and very visual.

http://www.brucembernstein.com/product.html

BERNSTEIN LINKING PINS ROUTINE - $25

An incredible four phase routine that you will use!

Includes the two, three inch safety pins, and a 17" x 22" poster (no page turning with props in hand) with seventeen line drawings to make learning easy!

Hank Moorehouse: From A to Z - the best linking pin routine I've ever seen.

Bruce Barnett: "I liked Bruce's Linking Pin Routine. This is a routine where large safety pins link and unlink in slow motion. There is a finale, and at the end - the pins are passed out for examination. (no switch!) Even when I knew the principle, he fooled me with it."

Phil Wilmarth (Linking Ring): "Here is a superb four part routine... The final phase is a wonderful visual unlinking of a spectator's finger ring from a pin as a separate pin immediately links to the very same pin the ring just left. Bruce also explains how to pass the pins out for examination, upon completion of the routine, without switches. It's a fooler of a routine, yet is not that difficult to do..."

$10 shipping and handling per order, regardless of the items ordered, in the continental U.S.
Sammy J. Teague
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
143 Posts

Profile of lekin
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Sammmy J you said you had angle issues with the Andrus pins. I don't see where one would have any angle problems unless it was in switching out one of the pins but even that can be covered very well.
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
Quote:
On 2010-04-08 21:04, NicholasD wrote:
Although the pins by Chazpro work just fine, the originals are a better quality pin.

Occasionally a set shows up on Ebay.

I agree.

The original Jerry Andrus Linking Safety Pins were plated brass safety pins.
They no longer make 3 inch safety pins (blanket pins) out of plated brass. Now they are plated steel.
The original brass ones had more spring to them enabling you to easily do the jumping unlink and link in the conclusion of the original Jerry Andrus routine.
The new ones are nice but definitely different than the original plated brass ones.
In Chazpro's reprint of the 1954 Safety Pin Trix by Jerry Andrus book there is a disclaimer, that did not appear in the earlier editions, stating that you may not be able to perform some of the moves in the book with the re-issued pins.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Garrett's Pindemonium is spectacular and you can hand out the pins if need be fore examination after the trick is over.

The preparation was not his idea but the routine is.

Before I became a Ninja Rings lover I used to do it strolling a lot.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 20:17, Frank Starsini wrote:
Garrett's Pindemonium is spectacular and you can hand out the pins if need be fore examination after the trick is over.

The preparation was not his idea but the routine is.

Before I became a Ninja Rings lover I used to do it strolling a lot.

This idea was first published in Harry Loraynes Apocalypse Vol. 6-10 (Vol.6 No.7) pg. 800 by Hans van Senus. It was called - Un-safety Pins by Hans van Senus.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Quote:
On 2010-04-11 19:38, RS1963 wrote:
Sammmy J you said you had angle issues with the Andrus pins. I don't see where one would have any angle problems unless it was in switching out one of the pins but even that can be covered very well.

I need to get back to Colorado and make sure it's the Andrus set. I think it is. My problem was with the part where the gaff is sitting on the close up pad and another pin was swept down to it and linked.

Let me know if I'm remembering the wrong set!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Fred Masschelein
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
5 Posts

Profile of Fred Masschelein
If you are looking for a great linking safety pins, Gaetan Bloom's version "The devil's principe" worths a consideration. It is, as usual with Gaetan, a nice twist to the famous Slydini's routine: "Mystery of the Gold Pins" published in Apocalype, Vol . 1, #10 - October - page 109. With Gaetan's version, everything is clean at end and can be examined.

Fred

Posted: Apr 19, 2010 3:31pm
Gaetan Bloom's Linking Pins are still available here:
http://www.gaetanbloom.net/tours-de-magi......-up.html

I'm sure he can bring you instructions in English if you ask him.

Fred
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Opinion on best linking Safety Pins? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL