The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Stupid Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mike greene
View Profile
New user
Manchester
80 Posts

Profile of mike greene
This is a really stupid question so forgive me in advance.

I've recently been looking at borrowed bill to impossible location effects, but the tearing off a corner for later identification doesn't quite sit right with me.

Perhaps it's because I'm in the UK, where our lowest currency bill is for 5 pound. but I wouldn't feel comfortable handing somebody back their banknote with a corner torn off it.

Am I worrying about nothing, or has this been an issue for some in the past?

Thanks,

MIKE
ALL I NEED IS ONE LIFE, ONE TRY, ONE BREATH, I'M ONE MAN, WHAT I STAND FOR SPEAKS FOR ITSELF - NAS
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
It's not an issue. As long as the bill is still spendable without the corner, no one should care. And who knows, it may become a souvenier.
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
217 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
On the one hand you can tape it back together or you offer them to exchange it! So there is no problem.

And in my opinion a bill to impossible location should be done with a high banknote.
Because it raises the effect automatically. There are more emotions involved.
A bill effect with a small bill loses much effectivity.
Just my opinion on that.

Take care,
Matthew
Practicing is like a bank, if you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out!
InventorRu
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of InventorRu
Sorry to say I don't really know the answer to your question but it is good one to pose.

All I can contribute is that giving back a torn bill is not something I would be happy about either as a performer or a viewer.I just think we should be aiming higher.
So if it was up to me I would hold back until a suitable answer came to mind.
Rufus
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1975 Posts

Profile of puggo
I believe that we should always offer a clean bank note to replace the torn or lemon juice soaked note etc. We can always spend the other one later.

Respectfully,
Charlie
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I agree that we should always offer a clean bill, but in my experience, the participant has never accepted it, and always wanted to keep the "magished" bill.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
mike greene
View Profile
New user
Manchester
80 Posts

Profile of mike greene
Thanks for the input guys.

Off topic but Scott, I'm currently working through your 'My Best To You : Coins' and I'm in love with it!
I place it up with Smoke and Mirrors and Williamson's Wonders in terms of real world, practical material. Wonderful stuff.

MIKE
ALL I NEED IS ONE LIFE, ONE TRY, ONE BREATH, I'M ONE MAN, WHAT I STAND FOR SPEAKS FOR ITSELF - NAS
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I agree with puggo, but my experience has been exactly like Scott's- they keep the souvenir....
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2167 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Perhaps I may be missing the point, but perhaps signing the bill before the vanish may accomplish the same thing? Or possibly even a unique little doodle?
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
917 Posts

Profile of Martino
John Carey has a nice, simple and effective signed bill to Asprin bottle on his new DVD Handle with Carey from RSVP productions.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
762 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Quote:
I find the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Always here to help on the Café, a great bunch of people.
On 2010-04-07 12:16, mike greene wrote:
This is a really stupid question so forgive me in advance.

I've recently been looking at borrowed bill to impossible location effects, but the tearing off a corner for later identification doesn't quite sit right with me.

Perhaps it's because I'm in the UK, where our lowest currency bill is for 5 pound. but I wouldn't feel comfortable handing somebody back their banknote with a corner torn off it.

Am I worrying about nothing, or has this been an issue for some in the past?

Thanks,

MIKE
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
I agree with other posters: It always bothers me when I see a performer hand an audience member their own bill back soaked in lemon juice or mutilated. I always thought the professional thing to do was to dry it and offer a fresh replacement. However, as others have mentioned, it doesn't seem to bother audience members as it does me. And when I think about it, if I was an audience member, I would think it was really cool to find my own bill in a lemon (what a concept!), and I think it would somehow raise the value of the bill for me. Weird. Probably the same could be said about a bill with torn corner. In any case, as a performer, I always want to be prepared to swap it out--just for professionalism's sake.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Stupid Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL