The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The JDG Fundamental Cups~ made by Donnie Buckley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That thump you just heard was Riser's "business" falling off.

BTW, if Riser were a philosopher, he would be a gadfly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2085 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 13:39, Bill Palmer wrote:
That thump you just heard was Riser's "business" falling off.

BTW, if Riser were a philosopher, he would be a gadfly.

Swat, Swat Smile
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Imagine my surprise when I found these cups in Bill's museum listed under the shell game section.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jamie's routine is based very much on the shell game, so I put them in that section.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yesterday, when I was in the National Museum of Hungary, I saw some cups that would have been very well suited for the cups and balls. I was allowed to photograph them in situ as part of my research. The photos were done without flash, but I think they will be useful.

I will be submitting a couple of designs to people who can handle the special work necessary.

I won't say anything else, because I don't need premature versions of these on the market -- even by people who don't want to sell them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Quote:
On 2010-05-26 18:55, djkuttdecks wrote:
Imagine my surprise when I found these cups in Bill's museum listed under the shell game section.

Awesome! Those are the old prototypes, however, as we weren't happy about the saddle (the ball would never stay in the exact centre). Donnie sent me the new one (which I love!!!) and that's the picture you see on Page 2 in this thread (Donnie just sent me 1 cup, which explains why there isn't 3 in the picture), to see what I thought.

Now we're just waiting to make them, film the routine, etc. I told Donnie that we're in no rush as he's crazy busy with other orders (understandably!) but we're getting closer for sure.

Exciting times!

~jdg

P.S. I should mention here that cups with no center bead have been made looooooong before I ever knew what a cup was so the "design" of a cup with no bead isn't original to me in the first place. That said, I've never seen a cup before, like the one we're making, with that awesome saddle plus no bead! You guys are going to love it!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Hey Jamie!
Actually I'm drinking out of a cup with no center bead right now!
It has a decent saddle too... it's spun out of stainless steel, but it's made in China - eek!

And yes, cups with no center beads have been spun for a long time - almostly exclusively for drinking out of - nothing like the JDG Fundamental Cups though, which are going into production next week after the Memorial Day weekend!
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
370 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Hmmm. My wife was made in China.....

The new cups are indeed beautiful. And, while I am quite fond of using cups that people drink out of for cups and balls, I am also fond of beautiful cups made for the purpose of all the great routines developed throughout the ages.
Magic is where you find it.....
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Going into production after the Memorial Day Week-end?
Will this be Xmas in June or July?
Ok...Xmas in August is also nice.
I have a little tree in my basement, forlornly awaiting a box containing three cups.
By the way, Bill - your shell game section is exceptional and mesmerizing!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thank you very much. There is a new item to be added as soon as the mail comes from Austria.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Hiya Gang!

I just wanted to touch base on this! We're approaching this from the exact opposite of the "Pre-Release, let's get this out fast!" trend. Donny is doing an awesome job of perfecting the cups and I've been field-testing the routine to make sure it all comes together as it should!

It might be another month or so, but it'll be worth it!

Your pal,

jamie
http://www.Professional-Magician.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I am constantly impressed by the thoroughness of Donnie and the quality of his work.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

P.S. I meant "Donnie" in my post, not "Donny"! (I joined a Crossfit gym today and haven't been able to think clearly since the workout, lol).
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-07-02 22:10, Bill Palmer wrote:
I am constantly impressed by the thoroughness of Donnie and the quality of his work.

As a five-time client (and counting), please allow me to second Bill’s post based not only on the final products but also Donnie's unfailingly impeccable customer service.
He appears to love his craft.
Lucky man and lucky us!
Oh - and thank you, Bill, for pointing me to Donnie's site at a time when I was confused by a marketplace of sellers who use wild hyperbole and tenuous claims.

Quote:
On 2010-07-02 20:29, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
Hiya Gang!

I just wanted to touch base on this! We're approaching this from the exact opposite of the "Pre-Release, let's get this out fast!" trend. Donny is doing an awesome job of perfecting the cups and I've been field-testing the routine to make sure it all comes together as it should!

It might be another month or so, but it'll be worth it!

Your pal,

jamie
http://www.Professional-Magician.com

Hi Jamie,
Thanks for the update.
What finishings will be available?
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1325 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Donnie's work is, indeed, beautiful. To the Riser haters: The man never lied, conned or ripped anyone off. In fact, he is still one of the most brilliant, talented, honest, reputable and respectable people that I know.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
370 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Quote:
On 2010-07-30 17:20, rmendez wrote:
Donnie's work is, indeed, beautiful. To the Riser haters: The man never lied, conned or ripped anyone off. In fact, he is still one of the most brilliant, talented, honest, reputable and respectable people that I know.

I agree with everything you said, but it wouldn't hurt him to practice a little humility. I've never ordered anything from him because of the "screening process" he uses, but I admire his work. I have a set of the Riser Jumbos I purchased on ebay. They are definitely quality.
Magic is where you find it.....
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
The passage of time has not impeded my magical quest for these Cups.
Neither will snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night.
Does anyone have a release date estimate?
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Hurrah!

I'm doing my happy dance! The FINAL prototype is now in my possession- I guess that's not a prototype anymore then is it, lol. And, not to "hurrah" Donny and myself too much, I'm going to give us three cheers anyways. Things I like about what we did:

A) We didn't take pre-orders.
B) We made sure that all parties concerned (and there's a lot of them when you make something new) are happy.
C) We waited until we got it the way we wanted.

And what did we want? Well:

1) No bead. This was the whole point! I had come off the success of my first time busking and wanted something that looked more like a cup (to me).

2) Heavy. I didn't want to worry about dropping them and having them shatter. These are cups that will be used on the streets. Dropped, thrown, kicked, loved.

3) They had to fit a tennis ball. If I went traveling anywhere in the world, I wanted to be able to find a final load.

4) They had to hold up to three "peas" on top (I use a three shell game patter, based on James Prince awesome routining) in a beautiful way. This was the hardest part and Donnie rose to the challenge!!! By eliminating the bead around the top of the cup that you see in lot of cups, he created a larger viewing surface. But unlike the ones I've seen, it's a bit bigger, so there's no concern about them rolling off.

5) And lastly, I'm going to include my first person- true story account- of my hustling on the streets with a real hustler. I use this presentation in every show I've done with the cups and balls and is one my my most prized anecdotes.

So, without further ado, let me present to you our JDG Fundamentals!

All that's left now is for me to film my presentation and the routining (again, from the generous James Prince). Hopefully, I'll have that wrapped up by mid-November.

Hip hip...

jamie
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Jamie, excellent work from Donnie and yourself. I love the way the cups reflect without the beads. I used to dislike beadless cups but those are beautiful.

Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those are excellent looking cups, indeed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » The JDG Fundamental Cups~ made by Donnie Buckley (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL