The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Favorite left hand production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
OK,

I am half way through creating my own card manipulation act. I have some little moves and sequences I want to throw in already. I am just stuck on one thing, what left hand production I will use. I like the perfect production the most from all the productions out there, one reason being I can produce card fans with the left hand.

But it doesn't seem right. I don't think it is my kind of production, and with Tenkai(dont know the spelling) you can't do split fans..

So what are your favorites that you use?

Thanks..
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I really enjoy the perfect production, although, I am terrible at it with my left hand. I think it's one of the cleanest looking ones though.

Another one that looks great (to me) is the split fan productions using the palm of your hand, and not the back. I think it's on Jeff McBride's 3rd Card Manipulation video. Not sure though.

These are only my opinions... I'm sure there's a lot better opinions out there. Good luck!

Dave
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Do you mean back palm split fans? The production that most do in there right hand?
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I think he means Baxter's Front Hand Split. You can find it on volume 2 of Jeff McBride's Card Manipulation tapes.

Don't limit yourself, why not practice backpalm productions with your left hand also... and at times have both your hands facing the audience (backpalmed cards towards the curtains of the stage) producing in both hands, and other times use a half pivot to face the hand that is doing the productions.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Yes, it's the Baxter's Front Hand Split (sorry, I haven't watched the videos in a LONG time now!)

I have to agree with "The Scot" though, as far as don't limit yourself. I used to do backpalming in both hands, followed by a dove production that I stole from behind my knee.

Maybe try challenging yourself even more by trying to do some of the manip off of Vol 3 of McBride? Just some thoughts...

I'm really excited to see what your act looks like! Keep up the hard work!

Dave
Cole
View Profile
New user
Calgary
63 Posts

Profile of Cole
Try doing the snap production (Jeff McBride card manip. 1) and then do Baxter's front hand split (vol 2). I think it would look really good with the two productions in conjunction with each other.

Cole
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
It's not always possible... the way the split works sometimes the cards (produced by perfect production) would have the backs showing towards the audience.

Do you understand what I mean?

Kevin
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Every production I can do in my right hand I can also do in my left hand. I suggest putting in the time and effort learning to do moves with both hands, otherwise you run the risk of becoming a one armed manipulator.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I am also starting to learn all productions in both hands. But now that an act is coming together, I want to settle down with one great left hand production that I can spend all my time on... I will, I'm sure, do some pivots, but I know I will not need 3 good productions for the left hand when the right hand will be doing most of the work in my act (while the left is producing fans and singles every now and then... I like some moves in McBrides mercury sequence so the right hand will move around more, along with cards from silk... but like I said I use baxters front hand split and I want a beautiful production to go with that...

So is the perfect production the best bet?
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I'm a right handed magician, but for some reason I can do manipulation better with my left hand. I palm cards and shuffle right handed, but I can do everything containing backpalms a lot easier with my left hand. I think I'm just wierd Smile .
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I must be weird too... I am left handed but I handle cards as if I were right handed. It's good though because I can do manipulations in both hands!

Zombieboy said what I was meaning, practise some left hand productions so you aren't a one handed performer.

Kevin
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Hmmm I'd have to say the snap production cause it's the only one I know how to do in my left hand.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree with some of what has already been stated. Why limit yourself on what you can and cannot do with the left hand. Practice all manipulations with both hands. This is difficult and often frustrating to do, but it will allow you the freedom to switch off during any card manipulation routine.

I too love the perfect production. It is very clean and also very versatile in that it can be done with palm facing upwards OR facing dowards. this allows you to be able to get into other moves from the perfect production. For example the perfect production can easily be moved into a back plam configuration when your doing the perfect production with the plam facing downward.

Another great production for the left hand is either the classic Tenkai or even the snap productions used from the palm of the hand.

I love the Tenkai for the left hand as it allows for some great transition moves. For example you can do a card that apears to morph into a jumbo coin or CD. This is acheived by having the CD or coin in a clip ready for a body load steal. Your right hand reaches down and grabs the coin while the left hand prepares to tenaki the card in the left hand. Your body faces towards the right. As you tenaki the card the right hand simply brings and flips the coin into the hand and into view. if this is done at the same time and in a nice fluid motion, it appears as if the card morphs into a different object.

Try this move out as it is a great transition move and can be used for numerous applications.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Thanks everyone...

So are these 3 prodctions (snap, perfect, tenkai) all that can be done with the body facing the right, and back of left hand to audience.... I have found that with the perfect production, it is hard to have the card facing the audience when it is produced. Is this just practice? It is always tilting. Should I just tilt the hand till I get what I am looking for because when I do, angles become a problem.

Thanks guys
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
If the Perfect Production is done correctly, the card should be visible without tilting your hand. My guess - your thumb is blocking the card that is pressed out with the index finger. Make sure when you are producing your card that your thumb is out of the way, to stop it hitting the card - then putting the thumb on the card 'framing' it so to speak.

Do you understand what I mean?

Kevin
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Trix:
There are numerous moves that can be done. It is a matter of expermenting and getting used to the different moves available to the manipulator. I reccomend for you to get the McBride tapes as well as books on the topic and study the various moves to see which ones work best for you and your performance.

In regards to the perfect production, it is just a matter of technique and getting your hands used to the production the way it should be produced.

I always make sure that the top of the card becomes cliped gently between the first and middle fingers at the start of the card being produced in the perfect production. This acts as a pivot point for the card to flip down into view. Make sure as the card comes into view that you allow your thumb to stay out of the way.

In regards to trying to fix the angle problem, when the card comes into view I bring my thumb back behind the card. This helps to push it outwards a bit and straightens up the card right before it is finished coming into view.

But, as with any move, practice it and see if it works for you. I hope my suggestions are of help.
Kyle Peron

djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

I forgot about the tenkai. Anyway what I do for the perfect production is my hand (palm down) is tilted around 30-50 degrees when I produce the card. I bring it down to around 0-25 degrees while I drop the card. I bring it back up to 30-50. So I swivel my hand.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
DJVirtualReality:
That is an interesting method for doing the perfect production. However, I would find that the swiveling of the hand would greatly take away from the beauty of the perfect production of the card.

The way I have always done the perfect production requires you not to have to swivel your hand or angle your hand at all. Infact, the hand should be able to remain motionless and still be able to do the perfect production with ease.

For me, the perfect production is performed all with the fingers of the hand. A simple combination of the thumb working with the first and middle fingers.

The beauty of this mininal movement is that the production looks more magical in the eyes of the audience and the audience can follow what is going on in you act much better.

I hope this helps you a bit or gives you some suggestions.
Kyle Peron

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Can anyone here do the perfect production without the thumb?

I was really wanting to have that down someday but I was wondering, is it possible to have about a stock of about 30 cards doing the perfect production without the thumb accurately and smoothly with every last card?

I think it would be but I don't want to work for something that might be too complicated in a already complicated act. If I had this down (perfect with no thumb) would it seem, and be easy and smooth like say, my cardini single?

And yes, I do have the McBride tapes. They're great....
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

I like the PP with the thumb. I think it looks better because you get the automatic frame which I think looks very cool.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Favorite left hand production (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL