The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic versus ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I'm not certain where to have posted this question so I hope I am "on topic" in this forum. Here's the question:

I recently purchased a used copy of a book entitled "Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic-A Complete Course". The book was written by Greg Wilson, has 638 pages and measures 4 3/8" wide by 5 1/4" long by 1 1/2" thick. Suffice it to say that this is a small hard to hold and hard to read book (because of its awkward size).

On Amazon.com I have found a book entitled "Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic" by Mark Wilson. It has 472 pages and measures 1.22" x 11.00" x 8.68".

The picture on the front cover of each book appears to be identical. The most obvious difference is the size. The smaller book has 678 pages; the larger book has 472 pages.

My question is: Are these the same book only prinited in different format size? I'd be reluctant to buy the larger book only to find that it is identical (content-wise) with the smaller book. Then again...it would be easier to hold and probably to read (larger type).

Thanks for any info on this matter.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
449 Posts

Profile of Hushai
I have both of these books -- and as far as I can tell, the "Complete Course" (the larger book) is just the "Cyclopedia" (the smaller book) but with some more material added. Some of what's been added is good stuff I'm glad I didn't miss. But also, as you have noticed, the larger book is a lot easier to read because of the larger type, and the pictures are much easier to see, too. I think it's worth the extra money to get the larger book ("Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic")because it's easier to use. It's out in paperback now, too -- I've seen it at Borders -- so you should be able to get it cheaper than before. So, my advice would be to get the larger book. It's probably the most often recommended first book in magic for beginners, but there are also magicians with many years of experience who still get good things out of it.
--Hushai
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Get the larger Complete Course. You'll be happy you did.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hushai and Marko,

Thanks for the info. It is very much appreciated.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic versus ? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL