The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rocky Racoon-who "originated" this routine (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Years ago, I saw a VHStape of a magician performing this effect at (I think) an annual New York Magic Smyposium event. the routine was hilarious and is MUCH copied by many without attribution.

Who was this magician? The names Harkey and Williamson come to mind but I cannot recall if one of these magicians was the "culprit".

Is there any authorized VHS or DVD instructional video on the performance aspect of doing a Rocky Racoon--or at least learning the "proper manner" for animating the little fella and getting him to do a variety of movements?

Thanks for any info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
There is a video out by Kim Pace called "Spring Puppets alive" which has a few nice ideas and all the classic gags but I don't think it is all original. It is the cheapest video in my collection.

The only standard gag in mine is blowing up rocky like a balloon.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Nicolas,

Thanks for the info. BTW, did you mean JIM Pace? Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
International Magic have a video tape by David williamson just doing his racoon act.
Don`t know if he did it first.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I picked one up at a S.A.M. meeting for a price I could not resist.

I think it is an older one made with real fur.

My cat, Snickers goes wild if I leave it out.

I call him Spring Bob.

No not the Square Pants Guy.

It is SPRING BOB,

SPRING PANTS OR FURRY TAIL.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I think spring animals have been around for years and years.

What we think of as "Rocky Raccoon" is the Magic Masters version, since they're the ones who make and sell it. David Williamson does a hyper version of the standard Magic Masters routine; go to one of their shops and it's likely that you'll see whoever's working there doing the same basic routine. (Generally not as well as Williamson, though!)

Jeff
lemagician
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of lemagician
agree with jeff.

This prop in David hands is great. A very funny guy.
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I think spring animals are great! I have played with them before, but am yet to buy one. Once I start getting more kid show gigs, I'll get one.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Yes. Jim Pace.
Christian
View Profile
New user
Continental Europe
55 Posts

Profile of Christian
The Pace video is very basic. I advise you to rather buy the Williamson video from International Magic. This will give you a better idea how the racoon could look like. There are also more suggestions as to gags, ideas, etc. To me, the Pace video did not add much in comparison to the written instructions which came with the raccon.
MiNiM
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
111 Posts

Profile of MiNiM
A good video to learn Rocky handling (Judy mouse too) is 'How to make fuzzy animals look really alive!' by Bev Dowling. it's put out by Flora Co. Other teaching videos I have are the ones by Jim Pace (OK) and Steve Kirchner (crappy) - but you can still learn the basic handling and get ideas from them.

Is the Williamson video a teaching video or just a performance video. If it's the latter, learn from but don't steal from him - big difference!

Greg MacMahan has some cute performance ideas in his books 'Birthday Fun' and 'Balloons on the Mailbox', and Larry Mahan wrote a pretty thorough manual called 'Spring Animals - your friends for Life'.And Sammy Smith gives his routine in 'Kiddie Patter and Litlle Feats'.

Also search out other similar threads on the Café (not necessarily 'Little Darlings'.

Cheers,

Bill
He asked me if I liked card tricks. I said "No." He did three. (W. Somerset Maugham)
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I would say that David Williamson revolutionized Rocky, not originated him.
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
The thing with the Magic Masters version is that it quickly turns into a "pitch"--which is ,of course, there intention. You can start with there ideas, but then you need to take it somewhere new to make it a "routine"--anyway what is the point of re-doing it---it is really out-dated in terms of jokes anyway--references to Brooke Shield and Tom Selleck are not exactly "Current" Might as well do something new as to take the time to learn the old version IMHO----lol--Cheers!---Jimeuax
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Bev is from our area. (KC) and has a lot of good ideas!

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2003-07-25 18:33, Jimeuax wrote:
The thing with the Magic Masters version is that it quickly turns into a "pitch"--which is ,of course, there intention. You can start with there ideas, but then you need to take it somewhere new to make it a "routine"--anyway what is the point of re-doing it---it is really out-dated in terms of jokes anyway--references to Brooke Shield and Tom Selleck are not exactly "Current" Might as well do something new as to take the time to learn the old version IMHO----lol--Cheers!---Jimeuax

Luckily the prime minister of Australia has HUGE eyebrows so aussies can still use the gag...

I don't think I use many gags from other routines except "mouth to mouth" and blowing him up like a balloon.

I use a skunk and I bring him out of box with a self inflating whoopie cushion on the reaer side. Everytimg I open it, it farts.

Now that's comedy!!! Smile Smile Smile
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
If you could go back in time, you could see Williamson doing it AT a Magic Masters shop. He was at the one in the shopping mall adjacent to the Marriott Hotel in Washington DC around 1987. That was the first time I saw Rocky. Boogie boogie boogie!
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Dave Williamson performs and teaches his handling of Rocky Racoon on his video "Sleight of Dave".

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Years before Williamson there was a guy named Jeff Justice who was a wiz with the Rocky Racoon. This is most likely the guy Turk had seen at the NY Magic Symposium because he was doing this routine back in this era, the early 80's. Copperfield became good friends with this guy and got the slow motion vanish bit he does from Jeff.
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
I don't know how long spring animals have been around, but when I was a kid my grandmother had a spring skunk at her house that was my mother's when she was growing up. That skunk is at least 50 years old.
Dr Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Sparks, NV
154 Posts

Profile of Dr Magic
I thought that maybe..

David Williamson learned the basic routine from a man who was fairly well known for it, and the originator of that particular routine.

If memory serves me right (it usually doesn't), the man ran the magic shop where David grew up.

Makes a nice story anyway. Can anyone verify it?

Dr Magic
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rocky Racoon-who "originated" this routine (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL