The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Please Give Feedback On My Coins Through Table Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

I have mainly been focused on stand up magic for quite a while due to the increase in today's type of strolling magic. (No Tables or very little table space). However, I have decided to work on some of the classic plots that do require a table, as in the past I have not really given these types of effects the time that they deserve. My aim however, being that I would like to have a table act ready for the right type of occasions.

Now, I have been playing around with putting together a coins through table routine, and would really appreciate your comments and feedback that could help further improve the routine.

Please note that I avoided studying other peoples routines on purpose because I wanted to see what I could come up with from what I already know, so that I could be myself (I hope that makes sense) However, I would like to point out that Rannie Raymundo , Tim Feher, Marion Boykin MB217, and Vinny have been very inspirational to me (Though they may not know it)in the development of this routine.

I would also like to point out that I don't claim that this is some mega original piece, as I am sure that probably loads of people do it the same way. All I am saying is that I have tried to come up with something that feels natural to me and in doing so I feel I have added a couple of unique subtitles.(Then Again Maybe not)

You can watch the video at the following URL. The password is CoinsThru1

http://www.vimeo.com/10855676

Please not that this is being hosted by a friend of mine on his Vimeo account, so it will be removed in a couple of days. (I will eventually set up my own account and repost it).

I know it's not perfect, I am ironing out the bugs, but would really appreciate any advice that you can give.

Many thanks for all your help guys,

Jay
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
I think it was good. I would maybe just do 3 coins and cut to the impactful phase of the spectator being involved. Odd numbers are better. The first coin is a demonstration, the second is a repetition, and the third is challenging and more impossible.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Prototype,

I was thinking that it may have been a little too long. I will definitely try this with 3 coins, perhaps by getting to the last stage quicker it will make the routine more powerful.

Many Thanks

Jay
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Though definitely a small change, I do agree 3 coins would be more impactful. Otherwise I enjoyed it. Good stuff my friend!!! Thanks for posting this.
Looking for a coin?
A coin holder or accessory?
THE COIN MAGICIAN'S RESOURCE:
The Magician's Coin
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I thought it looked just fine!

And surprisingly I have a talking wall just like that at my place! Smile

Jim
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I think the impact of the routine depends on the following rather than just the number of coins....

-the pace and rhythm of the routine
-the variety of methods
-the escalation from "the unexpected" (the first coin) to the deliberate (second coin) to the more impossible ... etc
-the involvement of the audience (like your last phase which I appreciate)
-a strategic use of a feint towards the end game

While 3 coins allows for a quicker routine.. and I agree., I feel that it could work well with 4 coins as well.

What I appreciate about your routine is the clarity of every phase. The clean seigths and the enjoyment that you exude. The only advice I can offer at first glance is perhaps a faster tempo and a seamless flow from one phase to the next... so it wont feel modular. Another would be the use of a more relaxed and natural Click P.

I did appreciate the routine and enjoyed it. I see it getting better and better!

Please feel free to contact or session with me via skype if you wish!

Cheers and Mabuhay from SUNNY Manila!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Great. mechanics good.
maybe it felt long not because of using 4 coins, but because of the pace/tempo. I bet you might feel that too.
Delete one or two patter lines somewhere or shorten it.
Pretty much echo Rannie's comments.
I think keep with the 4 coins because then you could go into a matrix or matrix routine preceding this one, then all coins are gone and on to the next trick/act/phase.
All I know is technically, I need to get some lessons from you!
Perhaps get an actual time on the set.
I just finished reading the Ostrich factor so now I am trying new practice approaches.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I PMed you re the last coin Jay!

Cheers!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8659 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Soldier, I thought it was great. Smile I enjoy your style and your confidence. The interaction with specs is clean and engaging and the magic is very good, the misdirection and technique also very good. Very well done my friend. Anything can be made better with perspective and or opinion...but this is pretty good as is. Smile

Good job and keep up the good work my friend. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks for the feedback and valuable suggestions guys, it's really appreciated.

I will definitely be applying / testing some of these idea's out as I feel that they will definitely help me to take this routine to the next level. (Which is something that I really want to do) Perhaps in a week or 2, I'll film it again to see how things have improved.

Speak Soon My Friends
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Quote:
On 2010-04-12 07:24, Mb217 wrote:
Soldier, I thought it was great. Smile I enjoy your style and your confidence. The interaction with specs is clean and engaging and the magic is very good, the misdirection and technique also very good. Very well done my friend. Anything can be made better with perspective and or opinion...but this is pretty good as is. Smile

Good job and keep up the good work my friend. Smile

I completely agree. Great points.
Looking for a coin?
A coin holder or accessory?
THE COIN MAGICIAN'S RESOURCE:
The Magician's Coin
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I don't think it is so important to count the coins. I think the average spectator will figure out what you are working with. The comment about the large coin size is fine.

The circle is too large. It is not a special place, it is almost the whole table.

Stop counting the coins and the number of times you hit the table. This counting aspect is boring, especially because you don't change the timber of your voice.

The coins are out of sight for too long a time, especially on the first coin. The heel ditch would be more effective for coin two. Coins 3 and 4 don't show the coins cleanly on the hand before they go under the table. More lapping and pick up is needed.

I like the tap move on the last coin. Been one of my favorite dodges for years.

Now go ahead and watch some other people's routines, like Albert Goshman and see how their pace and timing works.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Where to start?
From the first unmotivated transfer
To the habit of showing the hand empty
To picking up the coins and repeating unmotivated actions...

An exercise that might suggest some ideas:
Pretend you could do real magic.
Take the coins from the bag
Show them to your audience
Draw your magic circle
Now imagine how a coin might penetrate the table.

What do you need to to do (as a real magician) to get ready to make the next of the lot go?

What sort of things might you say or do which would show your hand empty yet not require them to notice?

Just an idea - perhaps if you gingerly picked up the bag and had them land on top of the bag under the table kind of like a catcher's mitt?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Truesoldier,

Your presentation was great! You're very confident.

I think the main thing is how the audience likes the trick and you can usually tell.

One thing you might want to try is a glass table.
webstercolby
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of webstercolby
I too enjoyed the video, one thing to look out for is when you start with the second coin, place it gently into your palm before consealing under the table. I say this because you can hear it clink with the other coin before you place the hand under the table, thus telling the audience it is still in the hand which goes under the table. Hope this helps.
streetcoin
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of streetcoin
Verry good routine and a nice structure, it does makes sense.
I too would let the second coin out.
What move do you use the third time?
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1417 Posts

Profile of feher
Hi Jay,

I feel as of right now the routine is good to take out and perform for people. It's only then will you see what you want to change or not. Asking magicians what they think can be tricky....lol Your spectators will tell you if its good or not, you just have to listen.
Keep up the great work !
As always my door is always open if you need anything.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

Thanks so much for your suggestions of improvement and also your kind words.

I know that there is always room for improvement, and therefore will be implementing some of the suggestions made.

Hey Tim, funny you mention about taking it out to perform for real people as I did that just a couple of nights ago. It was a casual dinner with a few friends at a restaurant, they were non-magicians and are the kind of peeps that will watch intensely and say what they think you are doing. (I'm sure you know the type of friends I mean) Anyway, I have to say that they were like How Did You Do That, which was a great feeling, LOL. So overall I felt that it went really well, but I can see that adding some of the touches suggested by some the Café members could really help take the routine to the next level.

Oh and as always when performing for real people, the flow was smoother as I didn't have to talk to a talking wall as mentioned by J-Mac earlier, LOL

All The Best

Jay
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8675 Posts

Profile of funsway
Do you have a name for the final "hold my Wrist" sequence? When I steal I like to give credit.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Funsway,

The move that you ask about is a variation of a vanish move called Gone in Bobo's by Bill Simon. I never said that I created every sleight and didn't realise that I had to mention the source of all the sleights in my performance video.

All I said was that I felt that when putting this this routine together, I tried implementing some of my own subtitles e.g the way I L_P the first coin, The CP that I use I have never actually seen in print, however I am sure that like everything it does exist.

I have given credit in my original post to all those that influenced me.

Sorry if I have upset you in some way, perhaps you can PM me and let me know why you feel the way you do.

All The Best
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Please Give Feedback On My Coins Through Table Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.53 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL