The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Has the yo-yo become an outdated child's toy? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I think as a juggler watching Kendama is quite interesting. Just the same as I could watch 3 ball tricks or any technical manipulation skill endlessly. But the "man in the street" just wouldn't find it entertaining at all.

I do believe it's possible to make anything fun and entertaining though. I do a short 1-1.5 minute routine using a ball stick (made by Beard here in the uk). It's quite similar to some of the tricks used with a kendama, only much bigger. It always goes down well.

So maybe in the hands of the right performer it would be possible to create an entertaining routine.

I think it would be a nice prop for close-up juggling. Magicians have cards, jugglers tend to be restricted in a close-up environment.

Do any of you guys do close-up work as a juggler?
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
On 2010-04-20 05:26, Roslyn wrote:

I don't think there is anything I can do as a juggler that would qualify as close-up... 3 scarf juggling is the nearest thing, maybe?
David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
Interesting point about close up juggling. String tricks with a yo-yo can't be seen from too far away. Unlike, say, club juggling.
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

From a Roy Rogers movie
Phil Blackmore
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Phil Blackmore
Crystal ball manipulation seems to me to be the best "close up juggling". Not that I do it.

Guy Heathcoate is great, but I wouldn't call him a pro yo-yo-er. We great respect to Guy, I would have thought that he's a very skilled and talented hobbyist who maybe does the odd gig.

Arron Sparkes does a lot of yo-yo stuff. He is putting out a dvd with Sam Veale.
They both also work for yo-yo companies on their promo teams.
Their website is http://www.insideloop.co.uk

Apparently the toy companies are pushing yo-yo really hard at the moment trying to make it the big toy of the moment.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I was simply going on guy's website which is very yoyo heavy. Also the last few times I've seen him live it was doing yoyo.

I stand corrected if he makes a living doing other stuff.

I'll check out the website you mention, sounds interesting.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
It's not about the number of tricks you can do. It's not about the difficulty of the tricks.
It's all about entertaining.
Check out this article and watch the video.
I found this to be brilliant!
yo-yo artist
(My good friend, Zeemo the Magnificent, sent the link to me. It made my day. I'm inspired!)
Do any of you know "Kenny"?
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
"sometimes we laugh so hard we don't actually get to the green stuff"

And he's surprised people weren't interested in his show and is no longer touring!

Hey, if you make em laugh enough you might not actually have to do any yoyo tricks either!!!

I really hope this was a hoax. Because if this guy's for real I actually feel quite sorry for him. He's obviously spent a lot of time and money on creating his show. The website actually looks really nice and professionally done. And he's also quite good at marketing. According to the artical he managed to talk himself onto a number of shows. He just doesn't seem to be able to do anything with it once he's there.

If he actually had a good product to sell he'd be unstoppable.

Maybe he should manage someone with talent?
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
Andy Kaufman lives!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Quote:
On 2010-04-23 17:53, stanalger wrote:
Andy Kaufman lives!

LOL!!!

Now there was a legend!
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
There's actually a book on the history of the yoyo (not a very long book) that I read years ago. Boom and bust, boom and bust, that's been Duncan's history since the beginning. If "nobody" is doing it now, just wait a year or two.
teedpop
View Profile
New user
Check out my
91 Posts

Profile of teedpop
The yo-yo was originally created as a weapon, just like nunchuks, and I heard somewhere that nunchuks are a form of object manipulation/juggling. Does that mean the yo-yo is too?
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Is the yoyo a form of object manipulation?

Well it's an object that you manipulate, so I guess it is.

I was always unsure as to whether the yoyo was really used as a weapon. I heard this as a kid, but according to http://www.yo-yos.net/Yo-yo%20history.htm this is not true.
 "Another popular but fabricated story of the yo-yo is that of a centuries old Filipino weapon.   The story is about an assailant in a tree with a heavy oversized yo-yo waiting for a victim to pass below.   At the critical moment the yo-yo would be hurled at the victim’s head presumably rendering him unconscious.     A near miss would still allow the assailant a second opportunity.    Physics of the yo-yo make the story improbable.   Although there is no question that the toy existed in the Philippines for centuries, as a popular toy, there is no documented evidence that it was ever used as a jungle weapon.    The story was popularized by Duncan yo-yo demonstrators in the ‘30s, many of whom were from the Philippines.     It was a great story and helped to sell yo-yos, but it has been repeated so often that it has become an urban legend."

I have also heard that it originated in the Philippines in the 1500s and that the word yo-yo probably means come-come or something similar. However I've also been told that it was also Chinese dating back to about 1000 BC.

The article I linked to above does also mention that the earliest documented evidence is from Greece around 500 BC. I guess we'll never truely know the answer to the who invented it question.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I do some simple yoyo tricks at my kids parties often. I like the yoyo because it is so small and portable. You can't do diablo effectively in a living room because of roof height, but the yoyo is small, portable, and allows a few tricks. I envy the guys who can do it well, but unfortunately it is only a very small, and occasional, part of my show.
David Waldorf
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
132 Posts

Profile of David Waldorf
Tony, does the yoyo go over well at kid's parties? What kind of tricks are you doing with it?
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to believe anything you hear and only half of what you see?

From a Roy Rogers movie
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Tony,

Have you tried the Henrys Micro Diabolo?

This looks like their Viper yoyo, only it's a diabolo. Dead small and great for living rooms. I do a lot of string tricks rather than throws and catches in a living room situation.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
I always do diabolo in living room parties as well. Lots of tricks you can do low.
I useally use a little less heavy diabolos in living rooms (mr babache eagles intead of henrys circus). Don't know feels safer but probably mostly an in-my-mind thing Smile

The henry viper I find quit hard to handel. Maybe you have to get used to the thing?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Japanese call Kendama an art that was played in Europe including at the French court of Henry III in the mid XVIth century under the name of Bilboquet and only reached Japan in a recent past. The addition of the two side cups are definitely a nice Japanese idea but the initial art of the ball and the string is definitely European. Thus when in Europe let's keep it with its name of Bilboquet instead of reimporting an art of ours under a different name.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I didn't know that. I always thought it was the same, or at least similar to, the old English game of ring and peg.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Quote:

I've actually done contact juggling in close up situations including table hopping. I usually do some close-up magic, then produce an acrylic ball and do a short contact juggling routine. I've also done some palm spinning at tables, but I usually limit it to four balls, as it's about as much as I can conceal on me comfortably. The nice thing, is when you're profficient enough, so long as you stick to moves that you're very comfortable with, dropping isn't much of a problem. I've also gotten some excellent tips due to doing the contact juggling.

I've also done a little bit of three ball juggling in some close up situations, but there's a bit more risk of dropping, so I don't do it very often.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
MrHoudini666
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MrHoudini666
I laughed when I saw this thread... haven't had a yo-yo in my hands in at least ten years!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Has the yo-yo become an outdated child's toy? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL