The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Paul Gordon's Fantastic New Card Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Liam by continuing to drone on like a broken record, you are basically making yourself look a complete and utter n*b!

I've PM'd you - now kindly let people read the review (that took about an hour of my free time) and stop boring people that may be interested in it with your inane rhetoric!
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Jack of Spades
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Jack of Spades
This is so funny. Thanks for giving me a good laugh over my after-dinner coffee, Paul!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Magicians killing magic...sorry, that should be magicians helping magicians.

I read the original post / thread. I liked the fact that Liam didn't like the effect as much as Bannon's. The odd challenging view / constructive point in a review thread adds to it.. It makes me trust the thread more as a whole when there is some balance. Not everyone has the same taste.

I did not agree with Liam's comparison of value. Paul's disk has 13 effects, but as someone who does not know anyone, it did not read as an 'attack' in the slightest. Why does Liam then get blasted (personally)?

C'mon people, getting personal on the net is not good for any of us, is it?

With respect,

Charlie (age 42 and a bit), a huge Paul Gordon fan, a Liam fan, a BBM fan, a Iain and Craig fan.. (and a Brit as well!)
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Charlie - I was really hoping that since the removal of the other thread, this issue would have died a death. What happens? I write a further review and Mr. Montier re-appears mixing it once again!

The 2 reviews I've written have taken quite a few hours of my personal free time for (hopefully) the benefit of other magicians. The reason I have solely reviewed Paul's material is simply because that's all I now buy (apart from Harry Lorayne's books when they appear).

What annoys me is that my posts are then hijacked by someone who I don't even know, that wants to wash their dirty linen in public. Moreover, I'm then brought into the equation and deemed a bad guy when all I've initially done is try to help other people by posting (honest) reviews of material!

I despair!

Also, as Paul no longer posts on here apparently, I've only done my best to stand up for him given he isn't able to answer back when someone is giving him a kicking. As a fellow Brit, I'm sure that you will therefore understand that's what we do best.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
Maybe if he published original material instead of weakening other peoples this thread wouldn't even exist!
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
523 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Merc Man.

Looking back over your posting history, a reasonably large amount of topics are to do with Paul Gordon tricks/products.

In addtion there have been a few choice phrases in your postings that have aroused my suspicion somewhat.

in the following thread http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=6544956

You made this comment to Harry Lorayne.

"I've been a fan of yours for many years (since 1977) and know just how too often you have had your work ripped off without even the courtesy of an acknowledgment. Rest assured, Paul gives you loads of credit throughout this book (and other titles he's written over the years)."

I now include the following quote from the Paul Gordon book "Nocturnal Creations"
(page 14)

"In 1977 (or so) I read Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book. That was the start of it all in a serious way"

Note how both yourself and Paul Gordon have been Lorayne fans since only 1977, despite several Lorayne books being available before this point. A tiny coincidence, granted. But wait.

In this post: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

You start a whole thread based on the fact that you dislike having cards signed.
Allow me to share the following quote from Paul Gordons "Card Magic Companion" (page 74)

"I avoid card tricks that require folding, tearing or writing on cards. I think it spoils the beauty of the prop"

It would seem you and Mr Gordon both have distaste for signing cards.
but wait.

In this next thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

you make the comment "I find it tedious to read books via a computer screen. If you prefer that then good for you. But can you take your computer to the beach, to the Café, etc. ?

Paul Gordons Card Magic Companion, page 119.

"You cant (easily) take a video, or dvd, to the beach, the Café"

Interesting.

In this thread:http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=356478&forum=2&post=6528807

You make the following comment about the late Joe Riding

"I have offered to re-type the entire lot and have it published as 'The Joe Riding Book' with ALL proceeds going to his Grand Daughter Sally to supplement her ice skating costs. However, Pam wants to sell it direct in eBook format and I'm not prepared to spend the time and energy for his material to be sold via this format. I despise eBooks as they are so easily shared for free and the quality of the content lost forever."

I could be wrong, but isn't Paul Gordon known for taking on these kinds of projects, such as the Percy Naldrett and Edward Brown books?

There's more. In this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=6543421

In response to the OP asking the best way to learn, study and practice magic, you reply with

"1. Buy anything by Harry Lorayne or Paul Gordon."

Card Magic Companion page 165
"If you want to enjoy good practical (doable and useable) impromtu card magic, get a set of Card College (Roberto Giobbi), a handful of Harry Loraynes books and-of course- all of mine!"

It is now becoming tiresome to keep copying and pasting things, but over your 74 posts you have also talked about performing in working mens clubs, the differences between UK and US audiences, and kids of today with their flourishes and "spins". All of those are things that Paul Gordon has mentioned frequently in his published work.

Incidentally, you claim in your profile that you are mainly into coin magic. I have not been able to find any postings from yourself in the coin forums. Your posting seems to be all about card magic. Needless to say card magic is Paul Gordons obvious preference. Your writing style, complete with its excessive use of brackets placed midway through sentences, is also very reminiscent of Paul's writing.

I realise that each of these individual points could be coincidental, but altogether?

Perhaps Liam was correct when he guessed that you are in fact, Paul Gordon.

Deep apologies if I am mistaken.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 14:48, MagicMcQuade wrote:
Maybe if he published original material instead of weakening other peoples this thread wouldn't even exist!

Hmmmmmm .......

I thought this thread existed because somebody wrote a review. I thought that the reason it exists here is for the simple fact that here is where reviews are submitted.

I do not seem recall there being a character assassination area of the Café.

Respectfully MagicMcQuade, I am just curious as to what you base your criteria on with respect to Paul Gordon "weakening other peoples' effects?"

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I is a Liam Montier heck of a talent and a good guy...always helpful, always gracious!

Liam is a talented and classy fellow!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Jack,

I'm deeply flattered that you have absorbed my postings in such detail.

Firstly, should you attend Card Capers on 9th May, I will gladly introduce myself and prove that I most definitely AM NOT Paul Gordon! That said, we are a similar age, and were heavily influenced my Harry Lorayne before treading similar paths in magic throughout our younger years (or so it would seem) - whoops, I used brackets!

Secondly, I adore coin magic and only yesterday PM'd a certain member on here in Paraguay advising him about Bobo and the best Okito Coin Boxes to purchase. However, is it so strange to have a magician interested in coin magic to have a love of cards too? By the way, I also adore sponge balls - something I believe PG dislikes with a passion!

Thirdly, in relation to Joe Riding. This is an Obituary I wrote for Joe upon his passing in 2005:

http://www.magicweek.co.uk/magic_article......ding.htm

I was a close personal friend of Joe's, hence my willingness to rewrite his material.

So I'm really sorry to disappoint you Poirot, but your assumption is totally wrong.

May I ask you a question now? Wouldn't your post have been better placed by sending it to me PERSONALLY as a PM? Or are you another person trying to stir it?

To quote you - 'deep apologies if I am mistaken'
Barry Allen

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Can Merc Man and Paul Gordon be seen in the same room together????

Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 15:09, Review King wrote:
I is a Liam Montier heck of a talent and a good guy...always helpful, always gracious!

Chris

Well said, Chris!

I've met Liam several times and you are totally correct. In my opinion he's one of the nicest guys in magic.

I'm honestly shocked and saddened that he has been attacked in this way - just because he has an opinion that is not shared by everyone (Merc Man, John Pilotzi, etc).

Iain.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 15:22, Review King wrote:
Can Merc Man and Paul Gordon be seen in the same room together????

Yes most definately - BUT ONLY when we ARE in the same room together!
Barry Allen

John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 15:25, Iain Moran wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 15:09, Review King wrote:

Chris

Well said, Chris!

I've met Liam several times and you are totally correct. In my opinion he's one of the nicest guys in magic.

I'm honestly shocked and saddened that he has been attacked in this way - just because he has an opinion that is not shared by everyone (Merc Man, John Pilotzi, etc).

Iain.

Montier is stirring things up; he's an internet troll. JP
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Merc Man and Liam have discussed this and its now sorted with the two of them.

I was wrong in my guess that Merc Man was Paul Gordon, and have apologised to him.
Merc Man has contacted me back, and has been very friendly. Its now sorted out with us two.

As far as I can tell, no one else has been directly involved. This is now between Liam and Paul.

Everyone else, let it go.

Jack
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Most important is that everyone knows what a classy fellow Liam Montier is.

And, he's talented magi to boot!

Chris

JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Liam Montier is one of the nicest guys (and sexiest) that I've met. Always ready to give his time, thoughts and support. The fact that he has two very large balls to give his opinion on someone else's effect shows that he really is lacking nothing. Those who attack him for his thoughts and those who mention him as being a n*b (Actually spelt Knob) are clearly the ones who really need to grow up. I also saw PG Tips' Facebook status sl*gging of BBM who, in my opinion are raising the standard of professional magic products ten fold! It's unprofessional, un-called for and down right disrespectful to someone who was just voicing his opinions. I hate marmite, Liam Montier may like it. Therefore, I would like to go on record by saying, he's two faced and the company he works for don't produce very good spreads. They just pad it out with preservatives and E numbers! Pathetic Liam Montier, Pathetic!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Well said guys.

Peace.
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
I've just heard from someone I know who was still on PG's facebook page, that Paul has deleted the status update that he mistakenly aimed at Big Blind Media.

This demonstrates that Paul realised he was mistaken, and did something about it, which I admire, and I'm sure his current and future customers will appreciate it.

L.
Jack of Spades
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Jack of Spades
Hahaha...it's more transparent than my wife's see-through nightie!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Jack - got any pics so we can judge?
Barry Allen

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Paul Gordon's Fantastic New Card Effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL