The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » REVIEW: Rewind DVD by Mikael Chatelain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MerIin
View Profile
New user
Valley of the Sun
27 Posts

Profile of MerIin
The Effect
Mickael spent almost an entire year working on REWIND. The result is unbelievable, yet easily doable by anyone.

A spectator selects a card from your deck; you fold the card in quarters and have the spectator sign its face. Once the card is signed, you tear it into two, then four pieces. The pieces are clearly separate from each other. You place two of the pieces between your lips and hold the other two at your fingertips. With no possible funny business, you restore the two pieces you were holding in your hands, leaving nothing to hide or add! Take the third piece at your fingertips, and as impossible as it seems, it becomes fused with the rest of the card as you simply hold it in place -- an impossible and very visual restoration. Now bring the card with the missing corner to your lips and the spectators will see the last piece melt into place in full view! Show your hands empty, which they really are, and don't forget to return the card to the spectator, who will confirm that the card is indeed the one he signed.

REMEMBER:
Very east to do.
Very visual, the restoration takes no manipulation
An English/French DVD explains everything -- the gimmick takes care of the rest.
REWIND is made to last.
A new method for this great classic.
DVD and gimmick included.

Firstly, I would like to say that the ad is mostly true. Yes its easy to do, yes it requires very little sleight and no manipulation. I own this and have been playing around with it. Conclusion, I do not think I will use this.

Routine and Handling: I do not like the fact that a deck of cards is needed, both at the start and the end of the routine, and the signed card to be torn and restored needs to be returned to the deck before being handed out to the audience. Not being able to show the card immediately before the tear and after the restoration hurts. Also, the "tearing" of the card does not look natural at all, and without exposing, I would like to add that there might be "give away sounds" if you are not careful. However, the restoration itself is easy and fun, though I would advocate you keep at least 4 feet away from your audience.

Score: 5/10

Gimmick: Nice and innovative, but definitely not worth the $87.50, even with the DVD. In my opinion this is way overpriced, and as implied above, I do not think it is very realistic for close up use. It is however well constructed and definitely an innovation on its own. Ultimately, its something I would not pay more than $20 for.

Score: 6/10

Verdict: Stay away from this, there are a lot of more realistic T n R routines out there. To me, this is a lazy man's T n R, and the restoration could be fun to perform. However, it falls severely short in the handling and believability department. Anyone wanting this trick, please contact me I am willing to release for $30 lol. Its not something I would ever use in a close up situation. Maybe it could be used for parlor, with the audience being children. I am largely dissatisfied with my purchase and bought it out of curiosity for the gimmick.

SCORE:5.5/10
Fairmagic1000
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Fairmagic1000
Wow! At last the first "True" Review! No smarm and no big praise. Thank you!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
You beat me to the compliment Fairmagic1000.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Yes thanks for the honesty.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 03:21, Fairmagic1000 wrote:
Wow! At last the first "True" Review! No smarm and no big praise. Thank you!

lol I hope you don't mean that a true review is only a review with no big praise... lol... just kidding, but honesty is certainly a good quality of the review given here.

Let me just add my 2 cents and moderate a little what has been written. I also have owned Rewind from some time now (I bought it on the day it came out in France - and no I have no link whatsoever to the creator, I just usually like what he does) and although I must admit that I agree with mostly everything written in the review here, there are a few things I would not agree on:

First, and although it may have been stated in the add, it is NOT easy to do and it is NOT a lazy man TnR. Chatelain stated it on French forums, you have to practice to have it done smoothly.

Then, it's true the tearing process can be a little weird close-up, but this is NOT designed to be done close-up (my opinion here, even if stated otherwise in the add). If you do this parlour or on stage, honestly, if done right, it kills because you only have one card in the hand. The restoration process, again when done on stage or parlour, is really as clean as it can get, really: nothing to hide, the card just restores piece by piece, but again, even if it's not very difficult, you do have to practice.

I won't really comment the fact that the card has to return to the deck at some point. I can unserstand that some might have a problem with that, but with a good presentation (and there are other presentations possible than the one described on the DVD) it will go unnoticed, especially on stage or for parlour magic.

At last, concerning the price, I do agree that it's a little expensive. $20 on the other hand is really not a serious price either. I'd say it sould have been priced around $50, you do get a nicely-made gimmick and well-produced DVD with a clever method (nothing revolutionary, but hey, nobody thought about this before him).

My conclusion : certainly not for close-up, but you really might consider it for parlour or stage, since if you stand a few feet away from the spectators, it really looks very nice and extremely clean (even the tearing sequence).

PS: Otherwise, I quite agree with the first review posted here, don't take me wrong Smile
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of dp
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that this week’s ‘Wizard Product Review’ featuring 'Rewind' is now online on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQUNsn9lqRU

There is also a chance to win one of the products reviewed in this weeks show.

It will also be available on iTunes very soon along with last week’s episode. Just search for ‘Wizard Product Review’ and remember to subscribe.

This week we had a look at iFloat, Rewind & Through The Ranks.

All the best,

David & Craig
Close Up Magician & Illusionist - David Penn

Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
David Stone is demoing and selling these on his lecture now for 30euros... don't know what caused the price drop but when I googled the product I found chinese copies for 10$... Its really good effect to change tempo in show and do it with music as Stone does.

J-M
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Guys,
Is this the one where the gimmick has m*****s? If so I picked this one up off Mickael a couple of years back at Blackpool.
If so, it does take a fair amount of practice and as goldeneye007 says it is most certainly not for close up.
Please let me know if its the effect I'm talking about.
Thanks
Ray
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Ray that appears to be the same one yes.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Thanks Rizzo.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Just got this effect and there is no 'noise' that I've noticed and the tear looks very convincing if you bend the card at the 'break' first and then 'rip' it, just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth Smile
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » REVIEW: Rewind DVD by Mikael Chatelain (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL