The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Big JB (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Hey Guys,

Who is this "Big JB?" I don't need a name I just mean is he a hustler, Steve Forte's mentor, Jim Beam? I see him thanked in the credits of GPS, referenced in Damien Neiman's Fast Company, and writing the intro to Steve Forte books. Google tells me nothing other than the Poker Protection connection.

I don't have a copy of Forte's Poker Protection book for which he wrote the introduction so I cant check there.

Thanks,
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'll posit that it's not a huge secret, but that when a guy is known by a handle like "Big JB", and his given name and personal details aren't revealed in a public source.........he probably wants, and likes it that way.

Forte describes him as a close personal friend and mentor........which is a perfect place to leave it!
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
189 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Big JB is a triple sharp man who did indeed mentor Steve Forte and many others for decades and, although very savvy on all facets of cheating, earned his living on-the-square.

While I am not at liberty to reveal his name, I can say that it is not Jim Beam.

Bret
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
It stands for John Bonham, the drummer for Led Zepplin
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
No. 92
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of No. 92
I thought it was George Bush's brother Jeb.
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Thanks Silverking and Bret, like I said in the orignal post I'm not looking for a name.

You hit the extent of the answer I was looking for. I had a feeling that was the case. I would be interested in reading more about Forte's education. He looks so young on the GPS tapes and he is so da** good...
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
He is still alive?
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 10:19, Bret Maverick wrote:
Big JB ...although very savvy on all facets of cheating, earned his living on-the-square.

This kind of thing never fails to impress me. I can't imagine being that smart on cheating and not straying to the "dark side".

You can read a little bit on Big JB in the contributors section of CGP, which by the way is full of interesting people.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
888 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
[/quote]
You can read a little bit on Big JB in the contributors section of CGP, which by the way is full of interesting people.

I second that Smile
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
189 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Quote:

And that contributors' section is both a testament to Steve's ability to gain the trust of so many experts and his humility in being willing and able to listen to what others have to say. Many of the "experts" that I've interacted with over thirty years seemed to know everything already and wouldn't take the time to consider other points of view.

Steve Forte read, carefully considered and, in most cases, amended his manuscript to include recommendations provided by his Rogues Gallery, which he acknowledged in the book's preface was the reason why he believes the book to be the most comprehensive and accurate of its kind.

Steve is a true gentleman who has personally and publicly thanked and credited his friends for their contributions to every project he has undertaken.

Bret
"If all a man can count on is finally pushing up the grass, when I do I'll lay you odds that grass is mine!" - Theme Song For The T.V. Series BRET MAVERICK, by Ed Bruce
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Yeah, yeah, great guy and all that.. I am waiting for him to post at the Café.

"Steve is a true gentleman who has personally and publicly thanked and credited his friends for their contributions to every project he has undertaken. "

B- we know that to be true Smile

AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Nevertheless he didn't reply when I sent him a list of errors, mistakes, misspellings, etc. I noticed in Poker Protection.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
When I sent in a list much like that to Tom Clancy I was also not responded to. The b*lls on these guys!

silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Perhaps SF didn't agree with you that what he had written was either an error or a mistake!

Misspellings are different, but if an author weren't planning on releasing a second edition, even that list would be somewhat irrelevant to the original author.
Bret Maverick
View Profile
Regular user
U.S.A.
189 Posts

Profile of Bret Maverick
Arnold,

Not to be disrespectful, but do you really think that he would respond to each of the countless emails he's received concerning misspellings?

And, as silverking studiously pointed out, maybe he doesn't agree with with you that the book contained mistakes or that the information you cited was erroneous.

Bret
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Well, I don't wanna be considered as more important than anyone else or something like that but replying "Thanks man, I appreciated it" takes just 10 seconds and would have been enough.

I'm not that sure he receives countless emails about that. Not everyone help authors to improve or correct their writings. See, I've worked a bit in that business (books), I know a bit about how it works...

I did that just because I'm used to correcting books and I thought it was a nice idea. Plus, he provides an email in the book for contacting him about the book. To be honest, I've done that many times in the past and guys have always answered, sent few kind words. Some were really happy and grateful about my help! He's the first one not doing so. You like it or not, I'm really sorry about that but it's just facts. I don't complain, I just write what happened.

About agreeing or not is another problem. It's his book and his ideas, I don't have to discuss about that and I wouldn't dare! Guys, do you think I am that uneducated? Frankly, I don't think you have to agree when someone say "Table of Contents, Index. It's written 351i9 instead of 351. Bad typo.". It's just a fact and you should be happy that an hawk eye like mine notices it for free Smile.

Just talking.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
In some cases, pointing out typos or printing errors is almost like rubbing salt in a wound.

It's rare the author that doesn't know (painfully) about all the publishing and printing errors in his/her book long before it's submitted for distribution.

Like I said above, without a planned second edition, and with the author knowing in advance about the errors in printing......salt/wound.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Silver, I understand your point but I'm a man of the past about books. Quality, typography, nice paper, well, class.

I suffer a lot when I notice a typo...
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Hey Guys,

As an author with 2 published titles let me say I for one appreciate emails noting errata!! It may seem annoying to some arrogant authors but the vast majority of us appreciate the note which we then forward to the publisher to be added to the errata file. The second edition can then be corrected by someone else who matches page numbers and errors to the notes sent in. There is usually enough I want to update in a second edition (I am writing one now as a matter of fact) that knowing someone else is keeping an eye out for typos and misspellings takes a load off the mind.

As for hearing about these errors...Even if I get say, 10 emails, about one error its fine because I can easily say "Thanks for the note" and it genuinely is nice to hear from readers.

Emails about errors in content or information can be another matter. I try and be very graceful with these suggestions and check myself to be sure I am right. If I am not I dang well appreciate the note and make sure I correct the information. So far errors like this have been mostly mislabeled figures and such. Suggestions on content made gracefully and with tact would be welcome to most authors I suspect.

And Arnie, don't take it personally if you don't get that note. Sometimes emails to answer slip past and its no reflection on the value in what was written. Its much more likely the answer slipped through he cracks than it was unappreciated.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Oh don't worry! I'm OK with all that.

I just mentioned it because, as I said, I'm used to correcting books (mainly books about hacking, computers, etc.) and SF is the first and only one not answering so far. Just to add a few words, sometimes, some authors are very happy about guys like me, I mean guys paying attention to details, helping to improve. I can say that I have been shown a lot of respect from several authors for that. Indeed. Once in a while you even maintain some kind of relationship with the author. Cool stuff, really.

Anyway, I still appreciate SF works and respect the guy, don't worry Smile.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Big JB (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL