The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » LOFTUS has Svengali decks/ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
They just called and the decks are there. Same "key card".

Jon
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hey Jon:

Thanks for the info. I have been waiting for my 2 gross for quite a while. Are they shipping out the orders today????? Hope so, I am getting low on stock.

Thanks again Jon!

ROD
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Dunno if they ship without confirmation. If it were me, I'd call.

Jon
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Ok Jon:

They told me thy would e mail me too,.but haven't got one yet. I will give them a call. Thanks again

Rod
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I just heard from David Walker they are shipping Monday.

Later,Don
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Thanks Don!

I called Loftus today and that's what they told me too.

Thanks again for the heads up Don!

ROD
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Hi, I just got my first set of Svengali's from Loftus, and I want to make sure I got the right stuff:
They are Empire - OK with me
They are Bridge - I was expecting Poker, is this normal?
They have instructions for 5 tricks - I thought the forums said 10.

My main reason for asking is that I want to make sure I got the right stuff.

Also on a 'Normal' Svengali deck the DL is pick up from top and bottom, and then as you display put a little buckle in the cards to avoid flashing a tunnel. These babies seem a heck of a lot harder, I am not sure if it is the trim, the bridge size, the material, or me. Any advise?

Thanks,

Tony
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Tony -- Most of the Svengali pitch decks are bridge size. The poker-size Svengalis are usually sold in magic shops and have Bicycle backs, so you can ring in a straight deck when needed. The poker Svengalis are nice, but are much too expensive (wholesale) for pitch work. And since you are selling primarily to kids, the bridge size decks are probably better suited for their smaller hands anyway.

If the instructions have five tricks, that's plenty. My Royal Magic decks from FUN, Inc. only have six tricks. And since each "trick" basically boils down to how you reveal the "chosen" card, five is plenty for pitch work. As long as the decks come packed with decent instructions, you're good. This will prevent "comebacks" (buyers asking for help), which interferes with your pitching.

In my experience, the Svengali DL is one of the hardest moves to master. A DL is tough enough to get right, but the key card makes it even harder. The key card helps with the pickup, but makes the display very tough, as you noted. It took me a good six months before I had a decent Svengali DL. So it's not you and it's not the deck (if it's the Loftus cards, the card stock is pretty good). It just takes time to acquire the right feel, the technique and the knack. It also helps to keep the card in motion, so there's less to see and less time to see it. Don Driver did a DL for me yesterday, and it was a thing of beauty. I was less than a foot away from him, and I couldn't see a darn thing. Of course, he's been doing it for 30 years!

You might also want to pick up a copy of Greg Wilson's "Double Take" DVD, which has about two dozen different DL's on it; one of them will probably be right for you. Click HERE for more info. The "top and bottom" pickup is the traditional way to go with a Svengali Deck, but it's not the only way it can be done.

I also liked Dai Vernon's comment that a DL is just a playing card, so handle it lightly and gracefully. Lots of magis handle it as if it was a manhole cover or something. Just be natural with it -- the specs do not know it is a DL unless you telegraph any hints by your unnatural actions. It does take some nerve to pull off a DL, but just go ahead and plow on through. Eventually you will be able to fake it with the best of them! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Thanks Seth, Now I just need to go and do it in the trenches. My main concern was that I had ordered the right stock, and it seems I have.

Thanks again Seth

Tony
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Tony -- Good luck to you, and let us know how you make out.

You may get caught once every few DL's in the beginning, but after a few weeks of pitching and a few hundred demos, things should start to smooth themselves out.

I always said that pitching makes you a better magician, and this is one good example. Where else can you practice the same sleight in front of a different audience 35 times in one day? SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

The last Loftus decks I bought had a notice on the outside "Perform 5 amazing tricks". However, there was a sheet inside the box with 5 tricks PLUS 2 extra cards with 10 more tricks, for a total of 15. Frankly, I've never done more than just glance at the tricks, since I'm only doing Don's demo.

One show, a vendor who bought a deck brought the instructions to me and said, "I just don't understand how to do this (particular) trick". I read the instructions and I couldn't understand it either, so I used Don's old stand-by, "$5 for the deck, $10 for instructions." We both laughed and went on with the show.

But as Seth says, all the tricks are just different ways to display the force card, so in my opinion, knowing a multitude of tricks is a little like knowing more than 1 way to spell Otto.

I previously used Loftus but when they ran out of decks, I began using the MM and have decided I'll stick with them, even tho they are a few pennies more per deck. A couple of advantages: The force card is the ace of diamonds instead of the 9 of hearts. To me the ace is more of a grabber than the 9. Also the cards are slipperier and shinier. They also are not as stiff as Loftus'. I formerly thot I liked stiffer better but now that I'm accustomed to the MM, I like flex better. AND I don't have to buy 2 gross to get a good price--can buy as many or as few as I want. Plus you get a clear plastic envelope that allows you to enclose the cards, the instructions and the TCM cards. They also have a website printed on their instuction card so you can tell the customer they can see the demo close-up.

And because the decks are wrapped in cellophane with an opening strip, I can do the TCM in a different, and in my opinion, more mysterious way. PM me and I'll explain it to you.

All in all, I'm sticking with the MM cards.

Jon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » LOFTUS has Svengali decks/ (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.73 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL