The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Instant Replay (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sean Irvine
View Profile
New user
N.Ire UK/Ireland
55 Posts

Profile of Sean Irvine
Hey there.
I know a lot of people have had difficulty learning this sleight / card manipulation. Im just wondering, how many of you can perform it 99.999% of the time [or close to that] and how long did it take you to perfect it?

Thnx Smile
--------------
Sean Irvine
([8^v>

"If the world didnt suck we'd all fall off"
John Fitzgerald
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England.
215 Posts

Profile of John Fitzgerald
I can do it about 96% of the time. I practiced it for about a month constantly and it just seemed impossible to perfect.

I stopped practicing excessively and just did it occasionally without the frustration and hardly thinking about it and not caring if I dropped the cards (I expected that) when I had a deck in hand.
Then one day I noticed I was succeeding quite often and atually did it better then I thought I could, so I started to practice it to make it look better and now I can do it 96% of the time.

It's important not to stress about holding the cards in only one exact position and trying to angle the cards so they pass over each other or trying to apply the exact pressures, et. Just let the cards fly and it'll work more often than you think, as long as the hands are in or around the correct positions and the pressures are around right it should work, that's how I got the feel for it.

I don't care for it anymore though. People think it's pretty but don't appreciate how difficult it is if you make it look easy. And if you make it look difficult then what's the point.

I'm referreing to "Simple Switch", which is where the cards exchange in mid air.

Take it easy,

John.
Sean Irvine
View Profile
New user
N.Ire UK/Ireland
55 Posts

Profile of Sean Irvine
Yeah I actually meant 'A Simple Switch' by Bill Kalush but most people in this forum seem to refer to it as 'Instant Replay', which as far as I know is Paul Harris's version, or at least what he calls it in his book.

Glad to see more some1 taking time to learn the 'more difficult' side of cards as opposed to basic sleights found in a book. I think if this is performed the way Blaine did it in Showman, it adds a lot to the effect. This is were the cards litterally swap places without the spectators seeing it at all. Its not a camera trick btw, and looks very skillful.

Sean Smile
--------------
Sean Irvine
([8^v>

John Fitzgerald
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England.
215 Posts

I would personelly disagree with that,

It was so fast and confusing that I'm pretty sure that they didn't understand what happend (I know I didn't) and was simply mesmerized by the flourish (as was I).

I think in this case the flourish clearly detracted from the magic. This is how NOT to mix flourises with magic.

I use flourishes myself (and have nothing against them) but not in the new-agey pretentious way that most people are doing.

I also believe I know how to mix flourishes with my magic without detracting from the effect, most people, do not know how to do that.

Just look at how Darwin Ortiz combines flourishes with his magic, his "Nine Card Location" is a good example of this.

He uses them rarely and sparingly, and usually the flourish has a meaning to exist.

I'm not going to get into an arguement about "why" or "how" to use flourishes with magic, I'm only concerned with my magic and I'm only interested in doing what works for me.

As for the "more difficult side of cards". I think a grounding in the basics is the smartest thing anyone can do before attemting advanced sleights.

And "Instant Replay/Simple Switch" is a single solatary flourish witch serves no purpose (aside from visual beauty).

The "more difficult side of cards" are false deals, riffle stacking, shifts, faros, and the numerous other advanced techniques out there.

It depends what YOU want to do, there are other ways to clearly convey skill to an audience. Like the result of REAL gambling technique, "Fast Shuffle" is a good example of this.

Take it easy,

John.

P.S. I did say I don't care for this flourish anymore. Meaning, I don't practice or perform it anymore.
Sean Irvine
View Profile
New user
N.Ire UK/Ireland
55 Posts

Profile of Sean Irvine
Umm... that's a little confusing John. It sounds as tho your agreeing with me. I get your point anyway.
--------------
Sean Irvine
([8^v>

John Fitzgerald
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England.
215 Posts

Sean,

I don't know what you mean, I edited my post for clarity anyway.

Take care,

John.

What I'm saying is, is that this flourish has no utility. And the audience doesn't appreciate how diificult it is.

Not only does David not know how to mix flourishes with his magic he doesn't know how to showcase skill for it to register properly with his audience.

By the way, if you wasn't aware, David uses a DL then mimmicks the "Simple Switch" (he doesn't really do it when it happens invisibly). The showing of the card is proof(?) that the cards did change palces, it was the DL that provided the results.

And lets no even talk about his overuse of the DL?

Take care,

John.
Sean Irvine
View Profile
New user
N.Ire UK/Ireland
55 Posts

Profile of Sean Irvine
I mean that I agree with what you meant about the spectators, including the ones at home, being 'mesmerized by the flourish'. I think I put it across in the wrong way or something, but this is what I meant.

Sean
:coolspot:

Oh I get you now John. I agree that normal spectators don't appreciate the amount of work involved, while fellow magicians do. I think David may have been performing to show off to magicians [not likely] or [more likely] to inspire people. I think if it took him a long time to learn the effect he'd want to show it off to people.

Sean

PS: I was already aware that he used te DL to achieve this effect. This is what I meant by Blaines version.
--------------
Sean Irvine
([8^v>

Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I think David may have made a mistake in his book with credit of Simple Switch. I believe that Simple Switch (including the double lift version) and Instant Replay belong to Paul Harris. On video and Close-up
Kinda Guy, in addition to the AoA books.
Best,
Tom
Sean Irvine
View Profile
New user
N.Ire UK/Ireland
55 Posts

Profile of Sean Irvine
Tom, can I ask what time Harris published it in his book? As far as I was aware the inventor was Bill Kalush.

PS: Please delete your D***** L***. This part of the forum isn't exposure.

Thnx ;_
--------------
Sean Irvine
([8^v>

Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
saying double lift is not exposure.

DOUBLE LIFT!DOUBLE LIFT!DOUBLE LIFT!DOUBLE LIFT!DOUBLE LIFT!DOUBLE LIFT!DOUBLE LIFT!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I believe the video was released in 1#$#
and the book in @$#$7.
JayPea
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of JayPea
In Blaine's book, he says that he saw Kalush do the move (Simple Switch) and he asked Kalush to show it to him, but he did not attribute Kalush as the creator of the move...and with good reason. Paul Harris is the creator of the Simple Switch (as far as I know), a move that is an extension of Instant Replay, which in turn was based on a "combination of thoughts first thought by Daryl, Magic Juan and Eddie Fechter" (AoA Vol. 3, pg. 115)

I am very proud to say that I can nail the Simple Switch about 85% of the time now (after almost 5 months of practice...Harris says it takes about 6 months on average to master...almost there). I've performed it a few times for spectators and got excellent reactions. Frankly, they were in awe of the sheer beauty of 2 cards flipping and flying past eachother (it IS nice to look at). I just love the feeling I get when I nail the move (I feel like I've accomplished something special). It's on the edge of impossible, indeed, but I think it's worth the work (but that's just my opinion). Smile
juggernought
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of juggernought
I personally think David's use of the double lift in combination with simple switch is great. The flourish is beautiful and the idea that you can do it invisibly is very clever. It certainly plays well for lay audiences.

This is my favorite floursih- it is so beautiful. I have been doing it for over a year and can nail it 90% of the time.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2003-06-25 09:01, John Fitzgerald wrote:
Sean,

Take care,

John.

What I'm saying is, is that this flourish has no utility. And the audience doesn't appreciate how diificult it is.

Not only does David not know how to mix flourishes with his magic he doesn't know how to showcase skill for it to register properly with his audience.

By the way, if you wasn't aware, David uses a DL then mimmicks the "Simple Switch" (he doesn't really do it when it happens invisibly). The showing of the card is proof(?) that the cards did change palces, it was the DL that provided the results.

Take care,

John.

Gonna have to disagree here. I remember the first time I saw Harris do this on his Stars of Magic VHS from Lou Tannen. I was blown away. I thought it was one of the most incredible things I'd ever witnessed. I've been doing it ever since. Now granted if yo just do it for no reason, its merely a nifty feat of juggling- but Harris is no fool. He used the flourish in context whereby two cards had transposed and as an afterthought, he used the flourish as a pseudo explanation. Brilliant. Magical. Very entertaining.

Rodney
steez
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of steez
Quote:
On 2003-06-25 09:01, John Fitzgerald wrote:
Sean,

Take care,

John.

Take care,

John.

You overanalyze things to the point of insanity. How do YOU know the audience doesn't appreciate it's difficulty? How do YOU know it's not registering properly with his audience?

The answer is you -don't- know, but think you do.

Perhaps if some of the magicians here spent more time critiquing their own cases of showmanship and not having a hissy fits about Blaine then we'd have a lot more impressive magic going around.
juggernought
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of juggernought
Agreed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Instant Replay (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL