The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Namesakes...spooky. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
A few years ago ,shortly after I was made redundant after 28 years with same Company.
I was messing about on the Web and decided to see if I had a Namesake,given that I didn't consider my name to be that common.
I did a search on Bigfoot.com and Lo and Behold up came a plethora of people with the Wiles surname...and one "Howard Wiles" in Texas.
I e-mailed him just let him know there was another "him".
Here is the spooky bit...

He was about the same age as me.
He had the same job(that I had just left)i.e
Sales executive selling Electronic Instrumentation.
He was in the UK on Business and..in travelling from London to Edinburgh the previous day had driven about 1 mile past where I live.
He telephoned from Edinburgh but couldn't call in on they way back as he was off to Ireland and then back to the States.
We kept in touch.. about a month later ....
He was made redundant!!.

Anyone else had any similar spooky things happen to them?

Howard
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Howard I'm not sure if this counts but, my mothers maiden name was the same as my fathers (Marini) my mother was born in Italy and my father was born in USA.After falling in love they found out they were cousins, "TOO late" to change things, they got married and were maried for 65 years
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I remember one night when the phone rang about 1 AM in the morning. I was ***** at anyone who would call at that time, so I went over, answered it, and there was some guy on the other end claiming to be from the Nobel Prize committee, claiming I had just won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry.

Naturally, I simply said, "Very funny. I'm going back to sleep now." I hung up, and unplugged the phone.

A few days later, there was a story about a man who had just recieved the Nobel Prize for Chemistry that year, and we shared the same full name! (Scott is actually my middle name) The middle initial was different, but he did live in California at the time.

There was even a brief blurb about how the Nobel Prize committee had even mistakenly called someone else with the same name!

Dang. Next time the Nobel Prize committee calls in the middle of the night, I'm accepting. Smile
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
My middle name is chandler, so is my dads, his cousin is chris chandler, the quarter back who used to play fo the Atlanta falcons
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
I did a search and found about 5 others with the same name as me...the funny thig is that one actually works in Hollywood...but can you actually imagine meeting your name sake?

Now that would be spookey.
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
bizarre...I just did a search for myself on google...and found that I'm apprently teaching school in Charlotte right now. Only weird because, for the greater portion of my life, I've wanted to be a teacher...

Deciding that one oddity wasn't enough, I searched for my dad. He was quite the baseball player in his youth. Surprise surprise, there was a MLB player with his name. Bizarre because his first name isn't super common, especially with his spelling.

Strange world we live in folks...I feel a bizarre routine coming on...lol
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
I did a search on my name a while ago (Frank Hood), and found out that the CEO and owner of Krispy Kreme Donuts is also named Frank Hood!

For those of you not living in the USA, Krispy Kreme Donuts is a nationwide chain that sells spectacular and tasty doughnuts.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Howard,

You're my new best friend!!! It never occurred to me to look up my name under the net. What did I find? Well the only person that I found (living)....was me. Smile

I found four articles that I never knew existed.Including one of me and my mom winning a Christmas House Display contest a while ago. The other person that had the same name as me..was under a geneology forum..she was married in 1767.

Ha Ha!! I knew it!! No wonder I can feel a pea in a matress...
I'm thinking now of changing my name to "Countess" Smile

Anyway lots of fun to try this.

Thanks Howard!
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Hey Chrystal, it's the same for me. Because my family name is unique (if you have it, we're related), the only other person I have ever heard of with my name was my grandfather, and he doesn't show on the net.

By the way, there is a "technical" term for checking this out. It's called "ego surfing".

The weirdest/creepiest thing like this I've ever found on the net are portraits of Admiral Nelson, spotted by my in-laws. The visual similarity is so close in most I could use them as my own portrait. There is even one where his head is at the exact same angle and position as my avatar (in which the sea is behind me of course)! Made all the hair stand up on my arms when I saw it... Smile

-Reg {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Reg,

Guess we're not related as the only time I'm Rozee is when I've been out in the sun too long. Smile
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Here's a few of my namesakes that I've found on the web:

A player on the London Broncos
One of my uncles (yes, the one I was nam......t Purdue

Quote:
On 2003-07-07 15:48, Chrystal wrote:

I found four articles that I never knew existed.Including one of me and my mom winning a Christmas House Display contest a while ago. The other person that had the same name as me..was under a geneology forum..she was married in 1767.

Ha Ha!! I knew it!! No wonder I can feel a pea in a matress...
I'm thinking now of changing my name to "Countess" Smile

So, you're changing over to mentalism, then? Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
>>>I KNEW you were going to say that Scott!

Smile

Then again...some would claim it doesn't take a Nobel Prize Winner to come up that line. Smile
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2003-07-08 16:47, Chrystal wrote:
>>>I KNEW you were going to say that Scott!

Smile

Then again...some would claim it doesn't take a Nobel Prize Winner to come up that line. Smile

:lol:

Nah - more like a London Rugby player. Smile
Smile
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
Apparently, I in jail right now, becouse I killed someone when I was 17.

Get this, this is a VERY diffrent way of killing someone. I took my My 67 chevy, and ran into a kid in a portapoty, nocked him down a kill, and I held his head under the,,, ummm "Stuff Smile

Ewww..... Maybe next time, I should think of a better cleaner way.
Jack Of Hearts!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Namesakes...spooky. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL