The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Why use a TT??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-04-16 17:18, daffydoug wrote:
Ouch! Pain! I spent all that money on the effect download, and went to my bank today to find several one dollar bills in s***es. like he specifies, and they looked at me like I was from mars.

They said they don't hardly ever get ones in like that.

So I jumped in my car and wasted gas chasing around town checking other banks, and the same thing . I struck out.

I don't know what to think, except that maybe Rich was very lucky. He made it seem so easy. Like you just walk in the bank and ask for them and they whip them out no problem.

I'm really disappointed.

There are a couple other banks in town that I will hit up later, but so far, this has been very discouraging

Having worked at a bank before, here is the scoop. You have to go to a National bank. Meaning it has National in the title of the name. National banks are required to supply new bills to the community.

Just go to a national bank and ask the teller for new bills. She will pull out a stack of new uncirculated bills. Recently, some teller do not get that supply and may have to buy them from the vault person. Just insist. They have to supply the new bills.

As far as $2 bills, if they are available from the treasury National banks can get them any time of year. They may have to order them for you. $2 the last printing of $2 was many years ago, but if they have them at the reserve they can be gotten for $2 a piece.

You just have to talk to the bank. Again it has to be a National Bank.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This thread started out as discovering that the TT fold invented by Koslowski was not necessary and now it is all about arguing wether to use a TT or not.

Here is the best answer, if you like using a TT, then use one, if you don't, then don't. It is all about personal tastes.

The reason it seems this method is so popular is because it was something new in the 1980's when it came out on the market. It is he only bill switch that lets you display a bill facing the audience and through the folding change it to a another kind of bill.

Up until this time most bill switches were for the exchange of one bill for another. Used as an aid to accomplish a trick like the Bill in Lemon type effects. The book "My Best" has a good bill switch for the exchange of a bill.

Maybe it would be good to list the new methods uses as substitute for the Koslowski method. This original method is where Ammar got his handling. If memory serves me correctly, Ammar folds are only the opposite direction.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-08-28 03:36, PsychoJack wrote:
I still think there's no reason to fold a bill if you had real magic, I'm still gonna go with Extreme Burn...

If you will note, we are magicians and we do not claim to have God like powers, thus we fold out bills to create our magic.

Extreme Burn is a totally different trick that this thread is not discussing. Extreme burn is not single bill to large denomination or the mismade single bill.
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
A lot of times grocery stores have them. If you want to make your search easy just ask at the customer service counter if they have any new ones. They will be more than happy to sell them.
Weird is part of the job.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I use a TT when doing a 2-phase routine. I do it in order to keep close to Whit Haydn's dilemma theory- when you open your hands fully in phase 2, they are really confused because they thought they knew how you did it. In phase 1 they see a lot of exposed thumbs...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Ken Rabalais
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
41 Posts

Profile of Ken Rabalais
[quote]On 2010-08-28 04:32, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:

Having worked at a bank before, here is the scoop. You have to go to a National bank. Meaning it has National in the title of the name. National banks are required to supply new bills to the community.

Just go to a national bank and ask the teller for new bills. She will pull out a stack of new uncirculated bills. Recently, some teller do not get that supply and may have to buy them from the vault person. Just insist. They have to supply the new bills.

As far as $2 bills, if they are available from the treasury National banks can get them any time of year. They may have to order them for you. $2 the last printing of $2 was many years ago, but if they have them at the reserve they can be gotten for $2 a piece.

You just have to talk to the bank. Again it has to be a National Bank.

Thank you very much for this information. I love the tangent tips that are posted as the thread progresses as well as the thread itself.
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
This is great advice! Thanks!

On another note... On 2010-08-28 03:36, PsychoJack wrote:
I still think there's no reason to fold a bill if you had real magic, I'm still gonna go with Extreme Burn...

I tell the spec' that I will fold the bill so they can squeeze it and make it change in their own hand. Also, you don't have to fold the bill with a Juan Pablo type of switch - and you don't need a TT for that switch with some misdirection.... Just my ideas to share...

D.
magicmonk
View Profile
New user
Donald Monk
23 Posts

Profile of magicmonk
Quote:
On 2010-08-28 03:36, PsychoJack wrote:

My reason for folding the piece of paper in my hands is that I'm demonstrating a magical origami folding tecnique.

However, I am not exchanging one bill for another as, in my opinion, even though the spectator may be amazed at how such a thing was accomplished, they will still figure that you switched one note for another.

I have a bill/note shaped piece of paper on which I have printed a picture of a magician (who looks remarkably like me) on one side and an elephant on the other.

I show the magician, tell how he is going to make an elephant appear, then 'let them in on the secret' by showing them the elephant 'hidden' on the other side.
After I've done the switch, for an identical piece of paper with the elephant now on the same side as the magician, I give this piece of paper to the spectator so that he can fold it to his heart's content to make the elephant 'disappear'!

The people watching don't even consider that I switched the paper, all they are concerned about is 'How the heck did I get that elephant from the back to the front?'

After first painstakingly learning to use a TT, a magical colleague suggested that I ditch the TT and do it without.

This is now my preferred method by far as there is nothing (TT) for the muggles to see and it's one less prop to carry. I've done this close-up at tables and not been 'caught' once.

Oh and by the way, printed in small print on the paper is my web address,- always worth a try.
Have a Chuckle,- and get a Free Magic Tutorial at http://www.MagicMonkSolutions.com
dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
784 Posts

Profile of dduane
Magicmonk,

I love it! Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to try it when there are kids at the tables (at the restaurant I work at).

There are endless ways of using the "bill switch" either with a TT or not. The reason I like the JP switch is because you can switch similar bills or papers almost invisibly - dispelling the idea of a switch later when you show the change.

Thanks, Dennis.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2010-04-27 22:49, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 21:37, daffydoug wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but why use the T.T. when you can do it just as cleanly dispensing with it?

Depending on the specific effect you're doing, I simply don't think it's as clean.

A $1 bill is borrowed. The magician changes it into a $100 bill. Any spectator with a brain is going to ask "Where did the $1 bill go?"

In this scenario, the TT allows you to offer compelling proofs that the bill is totally gone. They can see your empty hands with fingers wide open, and they can examine the bill themselves. You don't even need to make a fishy ditching action, or use acquitments that only show one empty hand at a time.

I agree with Andrew-As a Professional performer I need to keep it simple for the audience...

The weakest versions of Bill in Lemon or whatever are when you are fussing around
trying to get specs to call out half a bill with long serial nos on it or a torn piece of bill etc etc
no wonder theres confusion with the spectators..... Here the money is plastic so cant be torn!!

Cleanest simplest method is a signed note -vanishes -appears inside object that's been in full view all along
Easy to follow for everyone & is verified by person whose Bill it originally came from.. and please return the note borrowed in 1 piece.....

As long as the vanish is clean -TT or whatever it doesn't matter

Cheers
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2010-08-27 19:21, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-26 14:09, Alan Munro wrote:
I don't use a TT when performing the Mismade Bill. There is no reason to use a TT - NONE. It's actually easier without it. I show my hands empty and people think the bill has to be gimmicked, until they examine it. Then, there is no place to go with it. It does, however, require an understanding of the spectator's thought processes, as the routine progresses.

I've been using the handling that I developed, since 1994, maybe longer. Brad Lancaster challenged me to come up with the handling, and it exceeded my expectations of what a switch could be.

Briefly, what are some of those thought processes?

In a nutshell, they're looking for an extra bill. After the folding procedure, it's obvious that the hands are empty, because I'm displaying the bill by holding each end by a finger and thumb. Then, I let go with one hand and regrasp the bill in the middle and turn it over to show the other side. They realize that there's no extra bill in back of the bill. After the first change, the spectator will want to examine the bill, because at that point they're grasping at flimsy straws. Too often, the magician does pause long enough for the spectator to see the hands and bill - they need to be convinced there's no extra bill.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
If the switch is done properly & fast and as Alan mentioned above-
the bill is displayed properly by turning-I only use 2 fingers of each hand when I also do this including
showing both hands 1 at at a time hand free on the final turn.

Looks convincing and draws audible gasps of surprise from lay audiences......

I use this in many Professional corporate shows and always works well-the switch rather than a vanish!!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I meant to say that too often the magician DOESN'T pause long enough. If the spectator can't eliminate all hiding locations for an extra bill, it won't be deceptive. I wouldn't say that I perform it at a fast pace....brisk pacing is good, as long as there are short pauses at certain points in the routine.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Any news if Joe Skilton is going to release his switch?
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I haven't read all the posts on this thread, and here's my reason for using a TT.

This way, I can have someone examine the note I am about to switch. Before I take the note back, I can cleanly show my hands are empty. I just wave my hands around whilst wearing the TT doing this.

I take the note, and proceed to do the bill switch. This works great as I have proven there my hands are "empty".
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Rectify
View Profile
New user
Florida
55 Posts

Profile of Rectify
A great resource for both tipless and TT switches is "Switch" by John Lovick. Everything you could possibly want to know down to subtleties and history of the original switch. Very easy to come up with a great handling of your own with all of the input from that book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Why use a TT??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL