The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Irvine, Fullerton, Irvine, Fullerton (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
HELP ME!!!!

I got accepted to both schools, and I have no idea how to decide, or what to look for, or anything. I had no idea this would happen.
Trapeze above the Grand Canyon. Be impressed.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
If you play baseball, go to Fullerton. If you play volleyball or water polo, choose Irvine.

Curt
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
I don't do any of those. Smile But thanks!
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
What's your intended major?

Curt
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
Theatre
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
From what I understand, Irvine doesn't offer a BFA, just a BA with Honors in Theatre. If getting a BFA makes a difference to you, such as possibly making it easier to get into an MFA program, then go with Fullerton.

The rules are slightly different if you're going for Musical Theatre...Cal Full auditions for MT at the end of your sophomore year. I'd recommend reading the school's sites very carefully, talking with students from your school who are at one or the other, and exchanging e-mails or phone calls with one or more professors at each school. Take campus life into account, of course, and cost if you're not on scholarship and need financial aid.

In the end, go with your gut, but be sure to make a positive choice. Choose one or the other because you love something about the school, not because you want to prevent something from happening. As on stage, as in life. Both schools have very strong programs, so you'll be in position to give yourself a foundation for lifelong learning as a performer, even if you're not performing on stage.

Congratulations on getting into both schools. Be sure to mail in your admissions packet as soon as you decide and follow up to ensure it arrived.

Curt
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-04-16 01:50, cfrye wrote:
I'd recommend reading the school's sites very carefully, talking with students from your school who are at one or the other, and exchanging e-mails or phone calls with one or more professors at each school. Take campus life into account, of course, and cost if you're not on scholarship and need financial aid.

In the end, go with your gut, but be sure to make a positive choice. Choose one or the other because you love something about the school, not because you want to prevent something from happening.

It struck me that this part is excellent advice for any student in any major.

One quick thing about contacting professors: as a general rule (there are exceptions Smile), good teachers like students. One might say that the best teachers live for their students. And it shows even in a quick visit.

So I recommend actually visiting professors whenever possible--not just calling or emailing them. No teacher worth his or her salt will feel like you are imposing. Just the opposite, actually.

And then the conversation might begin something like this:

"HELP ME!!!!

I got accepted to both schools, and I have no idea how to decide, or what to look for, or anything. I had no idea this would happen...."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Go Titans!

I'm a CSUF alum...as Curt mentioned, both schools are strong in theater. They're also both pretty good college towns, and not too far apart. You may want to think about basic considerations like size, class offerings, cost/financial aid, etc. I don't think you'll be unhappy at either place.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Go visit them, as mentioned above.

You didn't mention what facet of theatre you're interested in: acting, directing, tech, design, or whatever. Different schools will be better at one thing than another, and will tend to "sort of" be factories for a specific sector. For instance, my college (Cal State Northridge) had a lot of connections with the film industry, so a lot of the kids went into TV or the movies, either on-camera or behind it. My grad school, UMass Amherst, was geared towards the Broadway market. Other schools tend to produce teachers.

If you're looking to get into tech theater, be really careful. There's a huge difference between design and tech, and too many schools nowadays seem to forget that. You could come out of a school thinking you're a designer, but you're really a techie.

Figure out what you want first, then pick your school. Otherwise you may never find out there's another side to the coin.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Flip a Smile
You know why don't act naive.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2010-04-16 00:13, cfrye wrote:
If you play baseball, go to Fullerton. If you play volleyball or water polo, choose Irvine.

Curt

Negative. If you play baseball you need to be at LSU.

Peace and Godspeed.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
HM....

Curt-Oh my gosh, that's great advice! I am totally, at this point anyways, definitely wanting a Master's degree.

Stone-How do I do that? Should I just ask to speak with anyone in the department that's around and not busy? (I think at both schools the faculty are the counselors within the major)

Lobo-I am so glad you think that. I am terrified I will end up making a horrible decision and hate myself for it later.

George-I want go with acting. (Anytime I am not onstage, it makes me really bitter, haha)

Herb-My luck it'll just roll away and I'll be out 25 cents, haha.

Dreadnought-Thanks!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I know nothing about either school, but I was very impressed with Curt's knowledge of the sports that they have, and his information on the types of degrees that they offer.

WAY TO GO Curt
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Fullerton produces some solid baseball players and the occasional world series champ. Among others, Phil Nevin, Tim Wallach, and Mark Kotsay were all Titans. As was Kevin Costner, speaking of theater.

On the other hand, the Pendragons were (UCI) Anteaters.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I graduated from CSUF (twice) and have taught at both schools. I'm sure you won't go wrong with either, though I confess I haven't intimate knowledge about the theater programs at either school. If you wanted to talk about business or mathematics, I could be of substantially more help.
boynextdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster
129 Posts

Profile of boynextdoor
THE PENDRAGONS WENT TO UCI?!?!?!?

S2000-Those are my weak areas, haha.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 01:50, boynextdoor wrote:

Yup...he studied theater, and studied dance. Used to play a little bridge with (and a lot against) his dad. He was a regular at the bridge club I owned. Also took me to the Magic Castle for the first time.

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-04-16 21:08, boynextdoor wrote:

Stone-How do I do that? Should I just ask to speak with anyone in the department that's around and not busy? (I think at both schools the faculty are the counselors within the major)

It's hard for me to know without knowing how the schools operate. At every university I've ever attended and worked at, the professor's offices were "unguarded", meaning you can just go knock on the door. The vast majority (again, in every case of which I have personal knowledge) have office hours posted on their doors. These days those hours are most likely posted on the Internet. So you pick a time when the professor you want to meet is in his or her office, and you go knock on the door.

If you call first, they'll probably just want to answer your questions during the call. Personal visits are always better for getting a feel for what a person is like.

Note that a majority of professors these days are not really teachers, and they loathe their offices because they want to get their research done--which they do in their study at home (or in a laboratory or whatever...just not in their office). So it might be hard to find anyone in their office on some days.

What I would do is try to single out one or two professors who sound really interesting to me, then note their offices hours and drop by.

And again I'll say this: a good teacher will appreciate your visit. You won't be disturbing them or putting them out.

(On a side note: one of the things I despise about having to do adjunct work rather than having a real post is that I don't have an office, so I only get to talk to students before and after class. But let's not talk about that, because it really depresses me.)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

A few weeks ago I attended a Career Day at a local elementary (yes, elementary!) school. When one of the smart-aleck kids says that his favorite subject in school is recess (knowing that I'm telling how mastery of each subject can help them in a career as a magician), I tell them about two magicians who are brilliant precisely because they are masters of recess: the Pendragons! Then I told them that John and Char met at UCI.

Quote:
S2000-Those are my weak areas, haha.

If you need any assistance in either, feel free to contact me.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 03:39, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Yup...he studied theater, and studied dance.

I think that there's a "she" missing from that sentence.

Quote:
On 2010-04-18 03:39, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Used to play a little bridge with (and a lot against) his dad. He was a regular at the bridge club I owned. Also took me to the Magic Castle for the first time.

I didn't realize that Jonathan's father played bridge. I'd have loved to have met him across the table.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Irvine, Fullerton, Irvine, Fullerton (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL