The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » 3 SHELL GAME WITH MATCHBOXES (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
I am looking for books, notes to learn 3 shell game but with matchboxes. Here in Europe, on the streets gypsies are doing shell game with three matchboxes and ball, sometimes made from bread. I watched them, and techniques that they are using for this kind of 3 shell game are different....there must be some book or video teaching this.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
There isn't really a lot out of there on the subject.

I collected a lot of notes from observing and interviewing hustlers in Europe last year. The differences between the shell game as well know and the matchbox game (Trile) are very interesting.

Hopefully, I'll get around to putting them all together into a package.

Posted: Apr 16, 2010 8:34am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0USC9PLNqMs

Forgot to post this clip
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
Yes, for me me Trile is more practical and natural looking game...
Check this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P156FVfq0aQ&feature=related
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
More practical than the traditional shell game?

Yes- but much harder!
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Is there anything on this in the School for Scoundrels book and DVD? I would imagine it was pretty through considering the Monte materials they published..

Pop Haydn, you listening?
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
There is not!
I heard that there are some booklets on German and Italian language,but never seen them...but if they know how to do that then there must be some teaching source...
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
If there is enough interest, I'll put something together.
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
You have my vote! I'd like to see more, especially if it differs substantially from the bottlecap methods.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
It is basically the same as the bottle caps. The main different move is the flip up of the box. That is seen in the second video above. The pea is "accidently" shown under the box once or twice with a flip up, and then left under the box.

The shills bet and they are right.

When the sucker is allowed to bet, the box is flipped accidently right at the end and the pea immediately stolen.

The sucker can put his foot on the box, which makes him comfortable that he is in control. The operator is down on the street, in a squatting position, so it makes it easy for the shills to talk the sucker without it being obvious that the operator can hear. Crossfire is easy, since the mob is often speaking in a different language than the suckers.

The match boxdrawers are usually reinforced with gaffer's tape, sometimes all over, sometimes just around the rims. A newspaper or a piece of carpet are placed on the ground. Peas are bread as said above or moistened paper balls from a cigarette package.
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
Whit,

we will be happy to see book on this subject from you, or DVD Smile
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 03:59, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
If there is enough interest, I'll put something together.

I'm very interested, both in this, and in your card and disk monte work.

Andru

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 9:47am
One difference I notice is that the motion seems diagonal, so the ball comes to the corner. I also see a sequence where the box is set in front of the ball, not over it, and dropped behind it. I've seen this described with thimbles, but I don't recall seeing it described with shells. Someone mentioned foil as a possibility for the ball in another thread.

I could tell the boxes weren't normal in the video, but I hadn't realized the difference was tape around the edges. The boxes seem taller than I'm used to. Is that due to the tape, do you suppose, or are match boxes just deeper elsewhere in the world?

Andru
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 09:47, luvisi wrote:
The boxes seem taller than I'm used to. Is that due to the tape, do you suppose, or are match boxes just deeper elsewhere in the world?

Good question. Here in Germany there are several sizes if you consider all the "marketing" match boxes...you know, the one's with cigarette brand names or bar names on the box. The supermarket match boxes are pretty similar to each other, but don't seem as deep as those in the video. So I think it's the tape.

The thing I noticed is I started to catch on (after about two minutes) when the guy was going to do the steal, due to tipping of a box to expose the ball. But I only guessed correctly when he was stealing it. I couldn't see anything. It was a pleasure to watch.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
Do people still use matches when you can get 10 lighters in the pound shop?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Yes. Yes they do.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
Fleet handed bandits will use anything but I just haven’t seen anyone use a match for years. Cept for the big long cigar matches.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I forget to mention the article about matchbox shells in January MAGIC magazine. It's got photos by Dave V, stories about swindlers and a look at some of the sleights.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Tommy, I use matches to light the grill. I dump about a pint of fluid on the charcoal, then throw a match. It goes BOOM! But it's a good method: I haven't had a problem getting a fire started for years.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16251 Posts

Profile of tommy
At my place the two main gambling games are Poker and Backgammon and we use those ATTACHÉ BACKGAMMON SETS. Some of the fellows have their own and carry them around. I was just thinking, with an extra dice cup in it, that would be a good thing to use for the shell game. Its innocent to carry and you have the case to use as a platform, and the people who are into Backgammon like a little gamble.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » 3 SHELL GAME WITH MATCHBOXES (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL