The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Hd or not HD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
As I've written before, I'm planning an event for the purpose of shooting still and video to be used for promotional material.

Current question is whether or not to shoot in HD. The videographers I'm hiring can do either. The question in my mind is whether the better quality is worth the larger file sizes, the larger drives required, the more processing power, etc needed when editing.

Also, as I do more shows, I will want to shoot some video there--if only testimonials. That would be shot with just an inexpensive consumer DV camera. Should I therefore shoot the main stuff in standard def to reduce the contrast between the two types of video.

What else am I not considering?

Thanks very much
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
753 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Umm Scott would be better at answering this but me personaly

shoot in HD

and for other things the kodak zi8 is a small HD camera and it shoots GREAT video..
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Shoot in HD.

It's here. It's now. It's the future.

I'm working on the changeover this year.
alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa/Barcelona
247 Posts

Profile of alekei
Definitely HD. There is no other option today.

All TVs and computer Screens are donde for HD now. A lot of TV channels are broadcasting in HD. It is a matter of Months and other quality tahn HD will look like "VHS" 10 years ago.

Cheers!

Alex.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
I need to begin the task of optimizing my clips for the iPad.

HD 1080p is the way to go. You can convert it to anything else.

The 24f.p.s.. frame rate seems to be coming into prominence. My son just bought a projector with that feature. HDMI connections too.

Anything to get us to spend more money.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
A few points...

First, I would go with HD without hesitation. Even if you are only going to down-convert to a standard def DVD, the quality will be MUCH better.

Second, HD allows you to be futureproofed for a number of years.

As for hard drive space and computer power, 2 TB drives are available on Amazon for dirt cheap. And I edit FULL resolution, HD video on my Macbook Pro laptop without any issues.

Consumer HD cameras can be purchased at electronic stores for great prices, and most will shoot to an SD card. I'd recommend this because there is no digitizing and tapes going bad. Though if you are getting a new HD consumer end camera, look for AVCHD. This format will work with Final Cut, After Effects, and most other top end editing programs. It's a great format that gives high quality with low file size.

As for the comments about optimizing clips for the iPad, 1080P is NOT the way to go. The iPad is capable of HD, yes, but only 720P. That said, I'd still SHOOT in 1080P if the camera can, then downconvert to 720P for the iPad.

The reason 24P is so popular is that is has a hint of a "film" look due to the frame rate being the same as film, and it is also progressive, meaning there are no interlacing lines like you see on so many TV shows.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Yes Scott, I certainly didn't mean to allude to using 1080 for iPad
The master should be 1080P, which is converted to other formats.
You are correct to avoid interlaced video.
-Charles Schulz
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
Well, I guess it's HD then.

Thanks very much for all the advice. The event next Sunday, April 25. I'm sure I'll be back after that for opinions on the rough edits and web site design.

Thanks again, everyone.

Jeffrey Korst
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
As for matching video testimonials to the HD format, a great way to go with video testimonials is to use a small cannon still camera. They all shoot video and the newest one I bought shoots HD video.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
They work pretty well. A friend has a Canon 5D and loves it. His has external mic. capability.
The internal microphone doesn't offer great audio. If that's all you have, get as close to your subject as possible and keep the background noise to an absolute minimum.
You may want to let it rest after about 15 minutes of continuous shooting. They will heat up.
-Charles Schulz
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
HD is the way to go.

However, before thinking "I'll just go HD!" think about your workflow for editing HD footage. You'll need harddrive space, a fast computer, HD camcorder, external microphone, and also software for editing HD footage and audio.

I only mention these things because others didn't.

Good luck on your project! I just recently finished my promo video in HD.
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
No worries on that end, Alikazam.

As far as the camera and audio, it's being shot by pros. For post, I've got a pair of hard drives lined up (one primary, one for back up) to use with an intel iMac and Final Cut.

I'm hoping to at least be able to do a rough cut on my own, though I may end up sending it out for finishing touches. (in other words, Scott might be getting a call)

I am fairly capable as far as photography and design go, and know all too well that ownership of the appropriate software does not mean the ability to put together a good sales tool.

Jeffrey Korst
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Quote:
On 2010-04-19 00:29, Alikzam wrote:
However, before thinking "I'll just go HD!" think about your workflow for editing HD footage. You'll need harddrive space, a fast computer, HD camcorder, external microphone, and also software for editing HD footage and audio.

I only mention these things because others didn't.

I'll reiterate from my post above:
Quote:
As for hard drive space and computer power, 2 TB drives are available on Amazon for dirt cheap. And I edit FULL resolution, HD video on my Macbook Pro laptop without any issues.

Jeffrey, you'll have no problems cutting in Final Cut. It is resolution agnostic, so throw as much HD at it and it will eat it for breakfast.

And with your photography background you already have a great eye. Can't wait to see it when you share it with everyone!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Hd or not HD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL