The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Darwin Ortiz's Zen Master (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
iasoncl
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of iasoncl
Hello,
I've had the Scams & Fantasies with Cards DVDs for a few years now but, for some odd reason, I haven't included any of the effects in my repertoire. I do, however, use a lot of effects from Darwin Ortiz's other DVDs. Anyway, having watched the Zen Master from the Scams & Fantasies DVDs, I think that it is a fantastic effect. There is, however, one thing that bugs me with it: I find that phase 2 of the effect is stronger than phase 3 (the last phase).

The thing is that as a conjurer I experience the effect differently to how a lay audience would. Can anyone who actually performs this effect give me some feedback on how their audiences react to the effect?

Thanks...
Iason
Ade2010
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Ade2010
Sorry, I can't help with your question (I don't do m****y work)...

... but I urge you to check out 'Ace In Pocket' (vol. 3), it's one of the most overlooked tricks from that series, and one of the easiest/ most powerful!
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Considering Darwin is a master of routining, my advice is to perform it as many times as you can, in front of an audience and try to understand why he made the choices he did. Later you can personalize, based upon your performing style and understanding of your audiences.
Also, at the risk of being a pedant, I don't think asking others for feed back on their audiences reaction is the most helpful question to ask.
iasoncl
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of iasoncl
Ade2010,
Ace in the Pocket is indeed a very good effect. Simple, clean, and powerful. Definitely a candidate for being added to my repertoire.

Ed,
I agree that Darwin is a master of routining. I am a great fan of his effects and include many in my repertoire. You're right in that the best thing would be to perform this effect and take it from there.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Memory

Just wanted to see if that asterisk BS was automatic.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Lion Dope
View Profile
New user
York PA
88 Posts

Profile of Lion Dope
"Zen Master" is the reason I learned a memorized stack. Having performed it for about the last year, I am of the opinion that it is routined in the correct order. For the second phase, you're just giving the location; In the third phase, you're giving both the location and the name of the card.
Learn this trick; it destroys (in the best possible way).
Cheers;
Mike
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 10:21, ASW wrote:
Memory

PRICELESS!!!!!
iasoncl
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of iasoncl
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 11:34, Lion Dope wrote:
"Zen Master" is the reason I learned a memorized stack. Having performed it for about the last year, I am of the opinion that it is routined in the correct order. For the second phase, you're just giving the location; In the third phase, you're giving both the location and the name of the card.
Learn this trick; it destroys (in the best possible way).
Cheers;
Mike

I'll definitely learn and perform it. I agree with what you're saying about the last phase. What I really like about the second phase is that the spectator thinks of a card only after the deck has been cut and placed in the card box.

It really is a killer routine!
Ade2010
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Ade2010
Quote:
On 2010-04-17 12:49, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
Memory

PRICELESS!!!!!

Sorry, I thought the idea was to not expose methods on open forums?
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
I guess. But my recommendation is: do the effect but don't announce it as "Darwin Ortiz's Zen Master". That'll fool all the magicians in your audience.

Seriously, I get your point, but I think it's widely known that is a mem-deck effect. But there's more to the method than knowing the basic principle. Otherwise, you'd be exposing Hitchcock Aces by saying "it uses sleight of hand".
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

Hideo Kato
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Also, when you write m****y, no one things, "shell", do they? It's kind of obvious what you're hiding.

Enough from me.

Hideo Kato
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I have performed this effect for both laymen and magicians - the result is wonderful, its make people think you have some kind of "power".

Scams & Fantasies with Cards - a good source for any high end card worker, sure.

Darwin Ortiz Fan Group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67484679658
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
Memory

Try it with a swear word and let's see what happens...

SEY
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
I t***k what D****n O****z had in m***d was t***t... (Ah **** it, this is too *** hard too keep typing the ****ing astericks).
Ade2010
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Ade2010
Ok, getting waay off-topic now.

Contunued here
Siekomagic
View Profile
New user
South Africa
76 Posts

Profile of Siekomagic
Darwin Ortiz's Zen Master is a genius application of the stacked deck. I have been performing the effect and I must say that it totally blows people away. It has been designed just perfectly and does not need to be changed or tampered with. If you are performing the way it was intended then the build up is just amazing. I highly recommend anyone who does parlour style magic to put this one in your repertoire. Maybe not the best effect for table hopping as one needs time to do this piece justice ... It needs to be built up and Not rushed.

Have fun
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 07:31, Siekomagic wrote:
Darwin Ortiz's Zen Master is a genius application of the stacked deck. I have been performing the effect and I must say that it totally blows people away. It has been designed just perfectly and does not need to be changed or tampered with. If you are performing the way it was intended then the build up is just amazing. I highly recommend anyone who does parlour style magic to put this one in your repertoire. Maybe not the best effect for table hopping as one needs time to do this piece justice ... It needs to be built up and Not rushed.

Have fun

Excellent point Siekomagic and Darwin Ortiz himself writes in the book that it really is a conditional, formal piece. But yes, it is extremely powerful and really exemplifies once again Darwin Ortiz's deep thinking about structure and routine.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 07:31, Siekomagic wrote:
Darwin Ortiz's Zen Master is a genius application of the stacked deck.

Memorized deck: more than merely stacked.

I agree with your assessment; I got Scams and Fantasies for Christmas, and look forward to adding Zen Master to my repertoire.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Great present! Got any Aronson? Everybody's Lazy and Four-Part Harmony are fantastic memdeck effects.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Siekomagic
View Profile
New user
South Africa
76 Posts

Profile of Siekomagic
S2000magician - you are quite correct: definitely a memorized deck! Slight oversight in my post there Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Darwin Ortiz's Zen Master (26 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL