The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Gerritt M Evans - How Gamblers Win (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Hey Guys,

I just finished reading a booklet by Bart Whaley on Gerritt M Evans called "The Mysterious Gambler." Check it out if you haven't, its a fascinating look at another mysterious author whose true identity may be lost to time. This of course being the author of "How gamblers Win." The book has some interesting notes about the life of a cheat and gambling supply house owner during and just after the Civil War. It also touched on some of the cultural trends at the time especially the Comstock crusades in NYC. RFeally interesting read from a man who seem to have an uncanny knack for research!

http://www.houdini.com/home.cfm?page=sho......_id=5012

This book also contains a selection of loose ends and dead ends that have come up since the publication of "The Man Who Was Erdnase."

Cheers
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I already have a 40 book "to read" list. Please don't make it 41

:)
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The Evans book is an absolute must. It pre-dates Erdnase, and offers context to most of the books on the topic released in the following decades.

Try the limited edition (650 for sale) Magicana release published by David Ben, with forward by Steve Forte.
Book design by that brilliant designer of books on magic and gambling, Michael Albright.

http://www.magicana.com/HGW-book.php?vSec=plc

You know you wanna'.
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

I love the Magicana edition - its really nice and includes the original advertisements.

As an added bonus it looks real snazzy sitting on the shelf next to the Faxcimile 1st edition Expert at the Card Table, as well... buy both!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 02:43, ein_doppelganger wrote:
As an added bonus it looks real snazzy sitting on the shelf next to the Faxcimile 1st edition Expert at the Card Table, as well... buy both!

Whose doppelganger are you, anyway? It just so happens that I *did* buy both--same order (from Richard H's place). You aren't me, are you?
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Spooooky!!! I bought both from Richard as well....

I really like doing business with Mr Hatch, he is a great guy and quite knowledgeable to say the least. He also has the best price on Powner editions of Expert I have come across. I always pick up one or two when I order just because I know when they are gone, they're gone.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1692 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Silver,

The Magicana reprint edition of A Grand Expose of the Science of Gambling (author unknown, 1860) is going to be just as good. It's an even rarer book than How Gamblers Win (fewer than a dozen copies are known) and just as interesting (in my opinion). Save your pennies.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
No. 92
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of No. 92
Jason, any word on a release date?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Thanks for the reminder Jason.

I feel a bit like Martin Short as "the kid who couldn't wait for Christmas" when it comes to D.Ben republishing these old treasures.
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Jason,

Do you happen to know if there are any plans to reprint an unabridged "Card Sharpers" / "Les tricheries de Grecs dévoilées?" The only one currently in print that I am aware of is the abridged selection in "The Essential Houdin."

Of course its not at all as rare as the other titles in this thread but I would like to read the anecdotes about Parisian cheats that have apparently been removed from the version I own.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
David Ben has (somewhere in his blog) indicated what books he intends to publish for 2010.

Nothing about "Card Sharpers" in it though.

Along with A Grand Expose of the Science of Gambling , the other new release I'm terribly interested in is a book that David has hinted at, calling it a book "related" to Expert at the Card Table......the first of three! (this one gets me all excited).

One wonders what it could possibly be that might take 3 separate volumes?
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Wow!! That sounds fascinating. I wonder if it may have something to do with "The Complete Hoyle" that bore some stylistic similarities to Expert. In any case I am now quite interested too! Three volumes, fascinating!
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1692 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
There are several other titles that would do well to be reprinted in a small run. One of them is the cheating collector's "holy grail": Combined Treatise on Advantage Card Playing and Draw Poker by Ritter, another would be the two ridiculously rare S. Victor Innis books, and a terrific book by "K.G." that is so difficult to locate that I don't even tell people the title or author, as I'm still looking for a copy myself (sorry). Maybe one of these days we'll see good reprints of these.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
Whats the title of second S. Victor Innis book? I know only for Inner Secrets of Crooked card player...
Jason can you post table of contest from Innis books?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Gerritt M Evans - How Gamblers Win (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL