The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Activity in this section (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
I noticed its not as active as other sections. I wonder if it is because few people are interested in memorized deck stuff and stacks (or lack of interested topics?).
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3864 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Hi, no, I think a lot of people are talking about memorized deck magic only, but only few actually doing it. So, be happy about it. I am! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Smile. You might be right. Many threads make it sound like getting a medical degree to learn a stack. I guess I should be.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Dmitriy,

Remember that mem deck allows miracles that are impossible by any other means Smile A friend of mine and I used to work large walkaround venues. Occasionally he would yell over to me "Hey Vlad, this person just shuffled the deck and I cannot find the Queen of Spades! Can you help?!" Without missing a beat with my group I would yell back "It's 48th from the top!" We would FLOOR audiences with that Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Eric Richardson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Eric Richardson
That is hillarious Vlad!

Eric
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
I agree 100% Vlad. Oh and I should have pointed out I am a big fan of mem deck work so it was sort of disappointment that its so slow on this part - given that its so powerful a tool, this is ALL people should be talking about:) .
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-04-19 07:40, dimazales wrote:
I agree 100% Vlad. Oh and I should have pointed out I am a big fan of mem deck work so it was sort of disappointment that its so slow on this part - given that its so powerful a tool, this is ALL people should be talking about:) .

Then let's kick it up Dmitriy!!
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
I have been trying for Days Smile !
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
I tried to get it spiced up a bit as well a while back.

I think a lot of it is that only a very small subset of magicians are using MD's.

I'll gladly throw in my 2 cents when I have it to add!

:o)
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Quote:
very small subset of magicians are using MD's.

Sounds like that might be the case. Very strange, as soon as I heard of the concept I knew the possibilities where endless!
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
The possibilities are endless, but it's a difficult thing to discuss, apart from effects. A friend of mine also has memorized a stack, and we do jazz it regularly with each other.
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi Josh,
I agree it is fun jazzing or learning new routines with a another MD magician. I have a friend that uses the Tamariz stack and I still use the Nicola stack but we really have fun practicing and trying out new routines.

It is quite interesting that only a minority of magicians use a MD and I suspect that an even smaller number suscribe to The Magic Café, hence the lack of posts.

all the best

Mike
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of mrehula
I think that most casual magicians prefer to work on knuckle busting sleights to impress people with their abilities, instead of working on truly mystifying people with mem deck routines. (Sorry, my bias is showing.)
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2551 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I don't think that it's a preoccupation with sleights that prevent most card workers from getting into mem deck work. In looking over past threads here there seem to be three reasons why cardicians neglect mem deck work:

• By far the biggest reason is that people think they won't be able to memorize a stack. It can be difficult to get started in the process, especially if you're not fully aware of what is possible with the use of a memorized deck.
  • Some card workers are against stacks of any kind and prefer to work exclusively FASDIU. I know some people that, at the most, might cull a four of a kind to the top to begin an effect, but other than that they are against setups of any kind.
  • A distant third reason is that some workers don't want to be bothered to constantly set up their MD. They feel it would just be too much hassle to deal with.

The fewer that do MD work the better. It keeps what I do somewhat distinct from what everybody else is doing.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3864 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Steven, that's exactly what I wrote above before and I do agree wholeheartedly Smile. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Quote:
On 2010-09-21 23:54, Josh Chaikin wrote:
The possibilities are endless, but it's a difficult thing to discuss, apart from effects. A friend of mine also has memorized a stack, and we do jazz it regularly with each other.

That is an awesome Josh, I am jealous. I do not have any magician friends, let alone another MD user ....I might start a thread one of these days to look for someone else who lives in NYC and knows the Aronson stack for Jazzin/secessions Smile
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
John Born lives in NYC, but he uses the Joyal stack. He has released two fantastic manuscripts on the ACAAN plot, naturally using a memorized deck (Meant to Be and The Flip Shift). He's a member here. I'm sure there's no shortage of NYC magicians with mem decks...Asi Wind comes to mind as well.
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
The reason that I initially learned the Aronson Stack was precisely because I knew of no on in my area (San Diego) that was doing any kind of stack work. I have used it in countless performances since and consider it to be one of the strongest tools in my box.

I also have done walk around with a good friend of mine. He does not use the stack, but has memorized the first ten cards. The way we would work the situation is that every so often one of us would ostensibly not be able to find the spectators selection and call out to the other, and with out breaking stride he would yell back 9S or whatever. We would just move one card up the stack each time. By the end of these shows people would be buzzing about how the other magician across the room could possibly know their card.

The only bad thing about not a lot of magicians using a stack is that it is hard to find new material published on it.

I would highly recommend Eric Richardson's book to all Aronson Stack users.

Paul
poonchingyip
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
420 Posts

Profile of poonchingyip
I am just getting start of using my stack and so I just keep quiet to see others' posts. =P

- Arthur
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I find the Café far less useful now that you can't search for stuff. That may be causing a lot of folks to spend less time here, including this section.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Activity in this section (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL