The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge Balls Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Have never done sponge balls, I came up with a few novice questions in my learning process. Any input is appreciated, especially if you do sponge balls in a walk around environment.

1. Did you create your own routine or learn someone else's and adapt it to your style?

2. What theme do you use for the balls? Are they 'Nerf Balls', 'Red Lint', 'Clown Noses' or what?

3. Do you use anything novel in the routine other than the balls themselves, i.e. magic wand, stick of gum?

4. Do you have a favorite gag or line that you really like to use?

Thanks.
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I really like the Ain't no Mo from Carl Andrews. He calls them warm fuzzies. In a routine I did awhile back I asked the person do you know what this is? I then used their reply. Clown nose, nerf ball, sponge ball.

Sometimes they say something really funny and it's even funnier if you use it all through the routine. I think if you are just starting out with sponges I would say to use someone elses routine and structure.

This does a few things. First of all it helps you with patter. Yes I know you should have your own patter, but if you are just starting out then how do you know what works?

Start with theirs and then build it in to your own style. (This is a whole different topic)

Next the phasing of the routine. Again use theirs until you can build it into yours.
This means you don't want to have 10 vanishes, 1 color change and 20 appearances.

By using someone else's routine, this has already been established, a good balance for you. Once you learn who you are as a performer and the different and equal proportional phases within the routine your best bet for you and for all magicians is for you to use one that has been proven to work.

Then it is up to you to make it yours!!
Does this mean I still don't do anyone else routine? NO and don't let ANY magician tell you they don't either. There is nothing new under the sun. I take routines and add my personality to it, take away thing that I don't do or don't say. Add moves and variations, and the end result is what seems to be an original routine.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Just a personal preference, but I tend to lean towards rabbits or bears instead of balls. Balls roll which leads to the effect called "help the magician find his sponge balls under the table."

You can purchase wonderful hand made rabbits and bears from Eddie Ace in the Pittsburgh area. He also does custom work.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
225 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Does Eddie have an email address you can share with us?

Thanks
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My routine, "Peanut, Butter & Jelly" has always played well for me. The lines get laughs, it's very strong magically, and I feel the structure is very good.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Hi Scott, without being too impolite, I was just wondering how your routine works, not wishing to copy it, I just wondered what other routines are out there. Here in the UK I find most sponge ball routines worth, the ladies love them and they always raise a giggle i.e... the rabbits from ball, etc.
respectfully yours....... trevor Smile
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
187 Posts

Profile of preston91
I started out with the basic routine that came with the sponge balls. Pat Page has a very good video on sponge balls that covers several different presentations and effects.

Scott Guinns P B and J routine is excellent. What I like about it is that it finishes off with a vanish of the balls and you're reset.

My $.02

Paul
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6581 Posts

Thanks, Paul!

Trevor,

I think what sets my routine apart is the patter and the structure. It has evolved over many thousands of performances, and little subtleties that sell certain parts of the routine have been added, while extraneous moves and phases have been eliminated. It is the routine of which I am proudest & the one I perform the most.

Having said that, it's not for everyone--nor would I want it to be. But, at the risk of sounding immodest, I'd stack it up against any routine in existence, and I think it would compare very favorably (with "real people"--lay-audiences).
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Scott... Where is your routine located? Book or set of notes? And how can I go about purchasing such knowledge?
Thanks.
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
My friend Steve Dacri has a great sponge ball routine. Whatever you do, don't copy it but use it to inspire you to create your own. That is what I have done.
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
tink
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of tink
The routines that I do are out of a book that I bought from my local magic shop. There is one routine that I made up that is quick to do. Gosh has some good routines out.

tink
"What the eyes sees and the ears hear, is what the mind believes."
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6581 Posts

Quote:
On 2002-04-12 08:31, Nicodemus wrote:
Scott... Where is your routine located? Book or set of notes? And how can I go about purchasing such knowledge?
Thanks.

It is in the following sources:

"2001: A Magic Odyssey" (Lecture Notes)
"Great Scott! It's More Magic!" (book)

Also as a separate routine, complete with all the props and necessary "secret" thing.

For Cafe members, the notes are $10, the book $15, and the routine $15, and I'll pay the postage in the U.S.

PM or email me for more info.
My Lybrary Page
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I can vouch for Scott's PB&J sponge ball routine. Very nicely structured. It's apparent there're a couple hours of work in this one. (Ha!)

His "2001: A Magic Odyssey" (Lecture Notes) are well worth the investment. Check for details in the "Let's make a magic deal" section of the Magic Cafe.

(Remember, Scott, 8 more plugs like that and I win a toaster. You promised.)
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Mark the Balloon Guy
View Profile
New user
Tampa Bay Florida
27 Posts

Profile of Mark the Balloon Guy
Drop the balls and reach for the stars!!!

Check out my video performance on sponge at:

http://www.balloonguy.net/movie2.htm

For the price you get 10 Super, super soft Goshman Sponge stars cut extra thick, to my specs. A full routine that you won't have to explain what your props are.

Twinkle ...twinkle is a 6 phase sponge routine that delights young and old alike.

Dan Harlan and Jay Scott Berry highly recommend it.

Smile brought to you from the shameless plug society. Member in good standing.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark theBalloon Guy
"Bad to theBalloon"
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
Can anyone recommend "the master routine by Kozac" (is it called that?)
james
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I use a routine based very heavily on Pat Page's video.

Main points, Everything in right pocket at start, everything in right pocket at end. Surprise ending. Audience involved all through. Modular routine, ie... can be stopped or jump to end at any point if food comes etc.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I made up my own routine out of the basic sleights described in the Amateur Magician's Handbook. It's very simple and sort of short. I don't have access to magic shops and such things . . .so I bought a sponge from the Dollar Tree at the mall and cut my own. I don't use any special props besides just the sponge balls. No special lines, either. It's just a plain sponge ball routine; it's all very visually shocking stuff - but no real storyline or anything like that. Of course, I've only performed it for family so far. If I ever start performing professionally, I'll probably change a lot of my routines. Mark Wilson has a really good sponge routine that I used to use when I first started out . . . you might want to check it out.
Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge Balls Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL