The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Diagonal Palm Shift (Variation) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MichaelSternMagic
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, California
8 Posts

Profile of MichaelSternMagic
I have been doing the DPS for about 4/5 years and have for the past 3 years been working on my own variation that I have shown many magicians. Some of you have most likely seen it, for the rest of you, I hope you enjoy this fun change of pace.

Diagonal Palm Shift 4/19/09

-Michael Stern

Any thoughts and comments are always greatly appreciated and not just thrown aside. I do value everyone's criticism.
chrisgali
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of chrisgali
Wow, I think its a great control...the add on after the "push thru" is really not seen!
(sorry I m german)
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Michael, that's a great vid man!.....DPS coming to the top is fantastic idea too!.

David.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
harry tim
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of harry tim
Yeah I think that looks really good! Better cover than most side steals it seems to me. Of course you did a lot of your own work on this but do you have a favorite reference for it?

Harry
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Hey, nice work on it. Your left hand moves too much. In the original DPS, the left hand does not change position or even move forward, so try to just get the right hand moving with the left as stationary as possible. But nicely done.

Another idea for you that will make it more covered from the top (where you would flash the most), is to control it second from the top, which isn't hard to do; plus, controlling it to the second from the top can be quite advantageous for many effects. Hold a break with your right thumb and the card should slide right under it. I get the break when I push the selected card into the deck with my right hand's second and third fingers. With the index finger curled above, it can easily move that top card back enough to get a break.

Rmax
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Actually I don't think it's a DPS. It may be a good steal, but this is missing several elements of the Diagonal Palm Shift. I know you used the term "Variation", but I don't think it's close enough to be a variation.

1) The card moves to the top. In the DPS the card does not move to the top.
2) In the DPS the left hand moves away from the deck and that's what propels the card into the hand, not the fingers. In other words, in a DPS the hands move apart.

I feel that these two factors alone should prohibit calling it a DPS Variation.

And I hate to say it, but I don't really care for this variation. There's more finger movement there than a piano player.

SEY
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6635 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Steven, please correct if I'm wrong on either of these two points.
First, I'm away from my copy of erdnase at the moment, but does the original write up not describe returning the stolen card to the top? It is a shift after all, not a steal. Although that's how its mostly used.

Secondly, contrary to your post, I have always been under the impression that it is the right hand which moves away with the deck while the left remains stationery(somewhat). Not the left moving away from the right.

Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
If I recall right, Erdnase does not use the shift to move the card(s) to the top. He does use the shift to steal the card(s) from any position including the top.

And to Michael, it seems to me there's a lot more activity going on underneath the deck than needs to be.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6635 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-04-20 19:14, magicfish wrote:
First, I'm away from my copy of erdnase at the moment, but does the original write up not describe returning the stolen card to the top? It is a shift after all, not a steal. Although that's how its mostly used.

Secondly, contrary to your post, I have always been under the impression that it is the right hand which moves away with the deck while the left remains stationery(somewhat). Not the left moving away from the right.

Like I said, correct me if I'm wrong.

First I'd like to correct my spelling of stationary.
Second, as I said I'm away from my library but perhaps I've confused Erdnase's description with Roger Crosthwaite's. I don't recall now, but I certainly have studied the DPS whereby the card is "shifted".

Rodney
ilmungo
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of ilmungo
Quote:

Not really. Here's what Erdnase says (relevant content only):

Quote:
The plan of having one or several selected cards inserted in the deck, then forcing them through slightly
diagonally, and twisting them out to the top or bottom, is well known to most conjurers, and by some is treated as a blind shuffle. That the process is not satisfactory is seen by the fact that it is seldom or never employed, and but rarely even mentioned in any list of card slights. Our efforts to improve, or rather to combine the first part of this manoeuvre with a process for palming the inserted cards, instead of placing them on top or bottom of the deck, is shown in the following description.

Emphasis is mine. A little later on:

Quote:
The usual procedure of card-handlers is to insert the little finger over the selected card, shift the two packets and palm the card from the top in the right hand. This process takes more time, the shift must be concealed by a partial turn, swing or drop of the hands; and to palm, the deck must be covered at least for an instant. In the palm-shift described the card is placed in its diagonal position with apparently the customary movement of squaring up, and the rest is accomplished, as it were, by handing the deck to be shuffled.

So it appears to me that Erdnase designed the slight for palming, and specifically to avoid having to control a card to the top in order to palm it off. In fact, it seems that the OP modified the DPS back to the handling that Erdnase specifically considered awkward and impractical...

Cheers,
Luigi
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6635 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-04-20 19:43, ilmungo wrote:
Quote:

Not really. Here's what Erdnase says (relevant content only):

Quote:
The plan of having one or several selected cards inserted in the deck, then forcing them through slightly
diagonally, and twisting them out to the top or bottom, is well known to most conjurers, and by some is treated as a blind shuffle. That the process is not satisfactory is seen by the fact that it is seldom or never employed, and but rarely even mentioned in any list of card slights. Our efforts to improve, or rather to combine the first part of this manoeuvre with a process for palming the inserted cards, instead of placing them on top or bottom of the deck, is shown in the following description.

Emphasis is mine. A little later on:

Quote:
The usual procedure of card-handlers is to insert the little finger over the selected card, shift the two packets and palm the card from the top in the right hand. This process takes more time, the shift must be concealed by a partial turn, swing or drop of the hands; and to palm, the deck must be covered at least for an instant. In the palm-shift described the card is placed in its diagonal position with apparently the customary movement of squaring up, and the rest is accomplished, as it were, by handing the deck to be shuffled.

So it appears to me that Erdnase designed the slight for palming, and specifically to avoid having to control a card to the top in order to palm it off. In fact, it seems that the OP modified the DPS back to the handling that Erdnase specifically considered awkward and impractical...

Cheers,
Luigi

See my post above we must have posted at the same time.

Rod

P.S. I use the DPS as a diagonal palm like most. My question is where does the shift come in to play. Again I believe Roger Crosthwaite adresses this in his book. But I better stop talking now because like I said, I'm away from the books and could be citing the wrong references.

Rod
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
Personally I think this looks quite good. Regardless of whether you could consider it a DPS or not.

I also think that we should remember that we are seeing it out of context and head on. I don't know how it would look from a different angle but in the context of a performance where there is a dialog and a justification for what he's doing I don't think a lay person would arouse much suspicion from the move or finger movement.

My problem with the DPS has always been that so many magicians put the card in and and then the hands move apart too quickly. In some cases it just looks like the card glides right through the deck in some way if that makes any sense...but I digress.

Best,

Josh
MarvinWang
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of MarvinWang
The video does look awesome, nice idea, thanks for sharing!!!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I'm going to jump in because I love Erdnase and dig Mike's variation.

First, Erdnase says that the previous methods (to which I assume he means the Diagonal Pass from Sachs) are unsatisfactory because they are "seldom" employed and rarely mentioned. This is terrible justification for discarding a move- I think we can all agree to that. In fact, ironically, the same justification was used for not studying Erdnase itself at some point (no one was using it)!

Second, as far as it being a variation or not, as usual the answer lies in the text itself. Erdnase says he is trying to "improve" the previous method "or rather combine" the palm with the steal. So, if you aren't ending up with it in palm then it's not the DPS, but rather the "first part of the maneuver"- a diagonal pass.

It is important to understand the objective for the DPS, which is to replace having to control and then palm the card out. The end goal is to have it palmed "instead of placing them on top or bottom of the deck".

Third, as far as the hand's movement goes, my understanding was that only the right hand moves to accomplish the actual palm (the left acting as a pivot during the square-up). This I think is implied by Erdnase stating that the "beauty of the **** is in the natural and simple manner of palming the selected card by the ordinary movement the right hand makes in passing the deck to be shuffled." (emphasis mine)

Finally, as far as finger flashing goes- there was a little, but I wonder how much an issue that is since the card doesn't end up in palm, and the hand is shown clean. There is finger motion (or at least motion) during a square, and since we aren't worried about heat on the left hand during the action... I dunno. But, Mike, working on the finger flaring (it wouldn't hurt).

Love,
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Darn it- can someone explain to me how to make things bold or italicized? Isn't that the code? I suck.

Ben

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3064 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Square brackets.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
m.taylor
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of m.taylor
HTML might be blocked
although BBcode is enabled so you could do this instead.
Indigo
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Indigo
Quote:

First, Erdnase says that the previous methods (to which I assume he means the Diagonal Pass from Sachs) are unsatisfactory because they are "seldom" employed and rarely mentioned. This is TERRIBLE justification for discarding a move- I think we can all agree to that.

No, he's saying they're seldom employed and rarely mentioned because they are unsatisfactory, not the other way around.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2010-04-21 10:45, Indigo wrote:
Quote:

First, Erdnase says that the previous methods (to which I assume he means the Diagonal Pass from Sachs) are unsatisfactory because they are "seldom" employed and rarely mentioned. This is TERRIBLE justification for discarding a move- I think we can all agree to that.

No, he's saying they're seldom employed and rarely mentioned because they are unsatisfactory, not the other way around.

It's possible I'm wrong (it happens frequently) but I read it as this:

"That the process is not satisfactory is seen by the fact that it is seldom or never employed..." This implies that "seldom employed" (and rarely mentioned) is offered of proof for the moving being unsatisfactory. What he says is: the move is unsatisfactory. Why? It's seldom or never employed.

Erdnase offers to actual grounds for objecting to the move other then- no one does it. From a pragmatic standpoint this might make sense: if you want to get the money why work on a move that isn't proven to work when you can work on one (like a bottom deal) that IS proven to work. But this seems a strange thing to say about Erdnase's philosophy since he pioneered several brand new moves, the usefulness of those moves which are still debated today!

So what justification could Erdnase have for the move being unsatisfactory, other then it being seldom employed? Maybe he was unsatisfied because he knew it wasn't reaching it's maximum potential (as a steal)- after all, what does the single card shift offer that a normal shift doesn't (in Erdnase's day)? We know Erdnase didn't consider the single card shift as a replacement for the 'normal', classic, shift because he writes that in the "exhibitions and literature of conjurers, not one of them knows of, or at least employs or writes of, a satisfactory substitute".

What we do know is that he liked the moved enough to want to improve it, "or rather to combine the first part of the maneuver with a process for palming".

If we look at Mike's move as a diagonal pass then I think it's an unqualified success- the card appears on top with little visible movement. I say bravo, keep working on it, and I love the video journal idea to monitor your progress (I wish I had done that when I was younger: maybe I wouldn't suck now!).

Ben

Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
Ben, I believe I'm afraid that Inidgo is correct, and you have it topsy turvy.

You said,

"That the process is not satisfactory is seen by the fact that it is seldom or never employed..." This implies that "seldom employed" (and rarely mentioned) is offered of proof for the moving being unsatisfactory. What he says is: the move is unsatisfactory. Why? It's seldom or never employed.

This as it goes, is correct, but you are neglecting to take into account the full context of the paragraph. He is talking about OTHER conjurers. They seldom use the move because it is unsatisfactory.

Anyway, its by the by, I found your comments very interesting anyway, and in no way meant any criticism, I just don't agree.

Back to Sterny's move,

The relevance of other peoples opinion on the genealogy of YOUR move is irrelevant.

If you learnt the DPS, from say, Erdnase, and used that to develop your move, it is a variant of the said move, because that is its genealogy.

But lets ignore all of that shizzle, and talk about the move itself.

Well, I think it is great! Really great, because it is yours, and the more you do it the more you will feel comfortable with it because it is YOURS!

AND as an added bonus, it is pretty darn burnable, even for a load of magicians, watching it straight on!

Now loads of people are going to come on here and criticise this and hate that, but the only thing really wrong with your move at the moment, is that all of the left hand movement suggest psychologically to the subconscious mind that something fishy is going on.

Hence lots of people above have suggested that is how you do the move (i would love if you had just thrown that in to mess with us!) but the fact is, it does ally a little suspicion.

Not enough however, for you to not be able to misdirect away from, but that can be a little tricky with both hands holding the deck! (a tres suspicious position to be in!)

SO, well bloody done! I reckons the left hand finger flutter will all be a thing of the past, as of a couple of months, and then think how much use you will get out of this!

Jon Hackett

P.S. just to clarify Sterny, I think it is an inch of being a thing of beauty!
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The Diagonal Palm Shift (Variation) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL