The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Box for Brainwave Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I don't like the idea of having a BD in a red or blue box. So is there any good way to store BD so when you take it out, your spectators won't be suspicious? I'm thinking to have a half red and half blue box, but it's pretty hard to make.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Use a plain white box.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

And where can I get that?
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Most card boxes are plain white on the inside, carefully take a box apart. Turn it inside out and re-glue it back together. The flat on the inside will now have color, use liquid paper (white) to cover the color. Use thin coats of liquid paper.
John
buncounit.com
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

That's good idea tho even I'm thinking to build from a real white plain card, I just have to find the one with right thickness.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On 2010-04-21 12:13, Wizzard wrote:
Most card boxes are plain white on the inside, carefully take a box apart. Turn it inside out and re-glue it back together. The flat on the inside will now have color, use liquid paper (white) to cover the color. Use thin coats of liquid paper.
John
buncounit.com

Perfect. I was to lazy to describe that Smile
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
I used to have this same concern. I'm not sure if it's valid or not.

My thought though is that a white box would arouse more suspicion than an off-colored box.

Maybe a better idea is to modify a box with a gag or something - so you have a reason for it to be odd.

One example, though you have to be in the right crowd - Buy a pack of Stud cards, and put your pack in there. When you start your set, say "You can tell a lot about a person by the type of clothes he wears. You can tell a lot about a MAGICIAN by the type of cards he uses." Say the last part as you take out your deck and proudly display the case.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Wrap the deck with a couple of rubber bands. No case is needed. If you double one of the bands, remember which side the "cross" of the band is on, and you'll instantly be able to pull out the deck with the proper side showing.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

A very good point Cohiba. People, most of them, know about Bicycle cards. So if I really want to have a white box for the BD, I have to prepare a good patter so it won't raise any suspicion. Or a jokes, such as "I left the original box for cleaning and maintenance" Thanks for point it out.

Scott, so do you bring your BD around wrapped in rubber band? I'm worried it will start to ruin the edge of the cards.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Just for performance--doesn't matter what color case is used for storage.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
A little off topic...

I hardly ever used my BW deck. I ended up getting an Invisible deck, which eliminates the concern being discussed.

I'm just curious - for those that have used both, are the reactions for the BW any stronger than for the ID? I like the fact that the BW really kills the idea that you could possibly have turned the card over with sleight of hand... but the simplicity of the ID and the fact that their card is shown face down (more drama) is nice.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I've used both and prefer the ID. Paul Rohmany has a great routine/presentation on his L & L DVD's.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I remember seeing a dealer somewhere carrying a Brainwave box (half red/half blue), which would save you making it. I don't remember where I saw it but. I'd probably just take the effort to make one myself.
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
My friend Hugh Randall came up with this idea. Cards by Martin used to make them. I have also made them up in the past.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-04-21 12:21, Failed Magician wrote:
That's good idea tho even I'm thinking to build from a real white plain card, I just have to find the one with right thickness.

But why my friend are you reinventing the wheel? And you COULD do the fun, weird "effect" by Paul Harris in which the audience is transported into the card case. I am deadly serious. You see, it gives some motivation, a fun offbeat bit of strange (to borrow a quote from Monsieur Harris) and then smack them with the BW!

And Scott Guinn's idea of rubberbanding the deck is quite cool.

And here is a goofy idea.... go ahead and place the BW in a regular card case! Think about it, no matter which way the effect ends, you have something that in fact IS congruous with the denouement.

Pardon the pun, but, think outside the box Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Gaff the box with red on one side and blue on the other. You can use either the back of an odd colored card or cut out the box from another case. Then for the sides you can cover them with a black magic marker, or if you went all out, replace 2 sides with the appropriately colored sides.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
If you are careful when you remove the box, all anyone can see is 3 sides of the box. So, make 3 sides from a red box and 3 sides from a blue box. This was the idea that Hugh came up with and it works perfectly.
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
166 Posts

Profile of limkris
I a blue Bicycle 'seconds' case and colored the drawings in black ink.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have a nice leather case I keep my cards in. You could also get woodgrain contact paper and cover the card box.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm looking for the half red/blue card box. Anyone got a link I can look into?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Box for Brainwave Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL