We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What would you ask me about deafness, hearing again and Cochlear Implant? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I've been booked to perform at a picnic for teens that have Cochlear Implants like I got recently. I offered to do this show for them because they had hired me to design their T-shirt because they thought it would be a nice touch to say the designer has the implant too. So I offered to provide entertainment as well.

This got me to thinking. They have gatherings like this all over the country and around the world. Some are simply to gather people together that can relate to having the implant and share tips and so forth. Others are for promotion or educating people (For example a person or family member that is considering getting the cochlear implant). I was thinking this could be a great venue for me.

What I'm thinking is I'll just do my normal act this first time to experience what the events are like. I'm focusing on giving them good entertainment of course but what I think would be really neat is if I can use my position to help educate people about it.

Imagine you or a member of your family is considering getting this implant. So you go to one of these events. They provide entertainment and the entertainer himself answers some of your questions or shares his personal experience with it. I'm also thinking of ways I can incorporate it into an act that's designed specifically for these venues.

Here's where you all come in. If this ever comes about I'll be answering a lot of questions. So as sort of "practice" and also to help get some ideas of possible questions I might receive. I'd like to ask you all.

What would you ask me if you where there? You saw my show and approached me afterwords. During my show I might have touched on my story a little. About growing up with hearing when aided by a hearing aid. About my hearing decreasing so much that hearing aids no longer helped. About spending close to 20 years deaf. Then getting this cochlear implant and hearing again.

What questions might you ask? Don't worry about my feelings on this for I'm very open about it and would rather someone ask then to keep wondering.

Thanks for your time.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ron
Are you having any fun yet?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Oh yea. Will you be at Abbott's this year? If so I can't wait to have a conversation with you. I'm already about to understand about half of what's said to me by sound alone. Combine that with lip reading and many I meet don't even realize I was deaf just a few months ago. So I can't wait to see how well I'll be able to understand speech by August. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Hey Ron, this sounds great! I'm really happy for you; though I do not know what it is like, it is great that you still stand strong. I have done some minor research in cochlear and vocal implants in undergrad, and even the tech and circuitry behind it is fascinating.

I would likely ask how learning magic was different for you without hearing. I might also be curious about how this has changed/affected/improved your performances in magic?
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Here is a question for you. Seems obvious to me, but I can see people wondering.

Does it run on batteries? How long do they last? How do you change them?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ron
I am not going to Colon Mi this August, but maybe next year.

I know that you have a thingy on the back of your head, so does that mean you can't wear headphones?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ron
Now that you can hear yourself has your voice changed?
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
What was the first sound you were surprised to hear?

What is the one area where it has affected every day life?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Do you still giggle when you say "cochlear"?

Seriously, I'll ask some kids this evening and get back to you.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Great idea John, I'll try the same with my kids.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On 2010-04-22 13:18, Al Angello wrote:
Ron

He's had an implant...Not passed puberty! Smile
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Ron.
I'd probably ask how you could help the deaf community now you can hear yet also have the ability to sign.
The chances for you to sit with deaf people and hearing people and be able to communicate with both sets of people must be an absolute boon.
Think of the possibilities:-schools,hospitals,doctors,etc.Have you given any thought to charging for this possible ability?
Anyway,I'm glad you seem to be taking this lifechanging episode with such verve.
All the best with this ongoing task!
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ray
People with a hearing problem have a very distinct way of talking. If you ever met Ron you would know what I mean.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
How do I know you are not just lip reading?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Wow thanks everyone. Keep them coming.

I would likely ask how learning magic was different for you without hearing. I might also be curious about how this has changed/affected/improved your performances in magic?
I've only done a couple of small shows since I got activated and started hearing again. It was quite an experience and because of it I decided to kind of take a little break from doing shows for a while to give me some time to adjust. In a way I'm sort of going back to my roots in magic and just perform casually when a situation arises for it.

What struck me the most was not just hearing them laugh and applaud. But hearing them do it at times that I don't expect them to laugh or applaud. All these years I really only expected to get a reaction at the conclusion of an effect or during a funny line or joke. But I was thrown off at hearing them react at moments I didn't expect to get a reaction. Just to give you an example. I asked a spectator a question, I can't remember what it was but when they answered me I said "Really?" and the audience laughed. My mind was thinking "What's so funny about the word really?" So it was a reaction I picked up from them at a moment I didn't expect it and it threw me off a little. Took me a moment to remember where I was in the routine I was doing and what I was suppose to do next.

But now I'm getting a little more use to it. I've performed casually enough since then and I'm learning how to better understand what I "hear" while performing. That sometimes people laugh or giggle just because of a look on your face of the timing of your words. They don't have to always be funny. Just saying something at the right time or with the right gesture can get a reaction from people. So I'm focusing on getting back in the saddle again now and perform more.

Does it run on batteries? How long do they last? How do you change them?
Yes, mine uses 2 small batteries. They are basically just hearing aid batteries but they are made for the implants. They must be "Zinc Air" batteries. They usually last about a day and a half if I wear it from the time I wake up till I go to bed. They make rechargeable batteries for my brand of implant but they are not yet approved FDA in the USA yet. When it is approved I'll get 4 of them and a charger that charges all four at once. So when the one I'm using dies out I'll just pop it in the charger and grad another one. Mine did come with 5 boxes of batteries (50 per box) so that should last me until the rechargeable are approved. The FDA seems to take their own sweet time though so who knows.Smile

I know that you have a thingy on the back of your head, so does that mean you can't wear headphones?
I have a "Personal listening" attachment for plugging my sound processor (The part that's hanging behind my ear) into battery powered devices such as phones and iPods. One end plugs into my sound processor and the other into the device. Then I can adjust how much I hear from the device and how much I hear of the sound around me. For example if I'm plugged in listening to music at the same time I'm in a discussion with you. I can turn the music down and your voice up.

So many people in the last month have told me that my speech is a little better already. I knew I was better at knowing how loud to speak now but I didn't expect the clarity of my speech to improve this soon. But evidently it has. The real convincer of that happened a a few weeks ago. I talked to a guy I haven't seen in a long time and he made a comment about my speech before I even told him that I can hear now. I was talking to someone else and he just over heard me talking and later asked what I did to improve my speech. That's when I told him about my implant and being able to hear now. Before this happened I wondered if the comments I got about my speech being better was just people being nice. But this proved to me that it is improving some. Even though I don't consciously realize it.

How do I know you are not just lip reading?

I challenge myself at that. For example when watching TV or a movie I don't look at the subtitles until I have to. And my friends that know me well enough to know I don't get offended easily. Will turn around and say "What am I saying?". PLus, I can't lip read the radio in the car. LOL

Thanks again guys.

Ron Jaxon

MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I know that in the past, many in the deaf community have been fighting against Cochlear Implants, feeling that it makes one who gets them a "traitor" or lost to the deaf cause. Do you feel that this has made a difference in how you are treated by others, especially in the deaf world?

If the question is too sensitive and you don't want to answer, I will understand.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why dats the most ridiclas fing I ever heard.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
What is music like to you?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
To follow jazzy.
What music or songs, if any, do you like so far?

Early in your life you could hear, right? If so, have what you are hearing now brought back memories?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
People who have been hearing all their lives find certain sounds annoying: traffic, airplanes, construction equipment, dripping faucets, snoring, and so on. Do you find these sounds annoying? Are there other sounds that you do find annoying (or distracting, or surprising)? If so, what are they?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What would you ask me about deafness, hearing again and Cochlear Implant? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL