The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » NFW, 4 joker count (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8438 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2010-06-13 06:32, MueCard wrote:
Has anybody thought of showing four regular Jokers out of the deck and exchange them to the NFW set?

That would be sorta alarming as there shouldn't be 4 regular jokers in a deck. Smile But your suggestion does bring up a point to me, and that is that if you pulled 4 jokers from a deck, most people (especially laymen) would not be any the wiser, wouldn't realize that indeed a deck of cards has only 2 jokers in it. It all speaks to what people recognize and don't recognize. Sometimes we make much-ado-about-nothing in efforts to hide something that no one is even looking for. Smile

With that, NFW can be done amazingly with or without the count. I have done this trick for years (one of the greatest packet tricks ever devised IMHO) both ways and both ways work very well. If you simply tell the spec that you have 4 jokers, they accept it, or if you supposedly show them 4 jokers they accept it. The brilliance of how well the effect is routined makes both methods work in the mind of the viewer.

Simply telling the spec that you have 4 jokers is like in B'wave telling the spec to imagine that you have 4 queens...same difference and they do accept it and never stop to think that you might not have 4 of a kind. I'm sure people believe that the special count verifies the 4 cards, much like an EC supposedly verifies that you have 4 face down cards in the effect. It sorta does but so what? If you start B'wave with just getting the spec to accept what you have as you say, it works just the same and actually plays more as a mentalist effect, which it is moreso than a magical trick which the count makes it appear more as IMHO.

Anyway, I can do NFW both ways and like adding the simple count at the beginning to somewhat elongate the effect and perhaps feel sorta good about doing the initial move to start with, makes me feel like a real card guy. Smile Actually, that's the way the old video presents the effect, which is the way I mostly do it because it is simply excellent in the handling and patter. The count so expertly used there is the one I use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_d-e_3SoGE

fyi: Also notice how the presenter brings about the kicker, very smoothly done. Most people warp the cards or spin them around to make it happen...Totally unnecessary and makes the effect look like you're doing something sneaky, which you are though it mostly flies over the head of specs just the same. Anyway, this presentation of the routine is perfect. I have never seen it done any cleaner or better. Every move is smooth and flows nicely to the next.

Gary Freed created a tremendous effect (and I've told Gary this before) when he created NFW. It is not difficult to do, quite amazing, inexpensive and makes you look like quite a Card Guy without much work. And that's important to a Coin Guy like me. Smile

Finally here, I would say that the 5 seconds maybe that it takes to show the 4 jokers can be both well-worth it as well as somewhat totally unnecessary. What's great is that it works well any-which-way you do it, and the specs get out of it exactly what Freed meant for them to get out of it no matter what you do as to presenting it, beyond that of presenting it poorly which I'm sure none of you is doing. When done as Freed meant it, it is an effect of sheer genius! Smile

*Along these lines, I would also mention that "Double Back" is another such effect that's well worth it. Allows you to do a few good moves and guarantees the spec's amazement every time out. Pretty slick!
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
For this purpose I would use the most brilliant Daryl's Mexican top change double lift. It shows the same card many times in the most natural way and without the susspicion that the Flushtration count may arouse.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Lawrence,

where can I find Daryl's Mexican top change double lift explained?
On any of his DVDs?
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2011-03-11 12:27, CardMaker wrote:
Lawrence,

where can I find Daryl's Mexican top change double lift explained?
On any of his DVDs?

It's Daryl's Mexican Turnover, Top Change, Second Deal. Daryl teaches it in a few places. His Encyclopedia of Card Sleights Volume 7 and also his Ambitious Card DVD are two.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I've used the switcharoo gimmick to both switch in and switch out the NFW packet. Infact I use this to place the four aces in my pocket (in the switcharoo) then pull out the four jokers (NFW) then show the transformation, and go to pull out the cards in my pocket to show they've switched places.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
Those that have a switcharoo should be able to figure out what I'm doing here.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The Switcharoo is a great device. Nice work adding it to NFW!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Smile Precisely what The Switch-A-Roo was designed for!

Doug
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I think after performing this effect a number of times that I like Steven Keyl's version the best, using a little humor while they assume a joker was already turned over! However, I do have a question ... when I purchased the effect, there was an extra (non-gaffed) joker with the packet. Was this just an add-on, or can it be used to do a cleaner 4 count or ...? Lynn
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
314 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
I use the Vesser Count to show the four Aces. Try it and see if it works for you.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8438 Posts

Profile of Mb217
NFW comes with a non-gaffed joker but I never saw it with an extra joker in the package? It would be nice to get an extra gaff card though. Smile But since it's not an expensive trick, you can always just get another set when your old one wears down too much, and then you're ready to go again for another few 100 miles or so with this classic. Smile

Anyway, you can do the 4 count of the jokers with the cards regularly given , no "extras" necessary. Smile I think(?) it's explained in the instructions, check again there.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

dduane
View Profile
Special user
Bridgewater, MA
715 Posts

Profile of dduane
If I recall - the instructions suggest a block count (almost like a swing cut) - alternating 1 and 4 cards. I've been using it for years with this, and it gets natural looking with practice. I don't call attention to it, just do it during the opening patter.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8438 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yeah, that's about how it goes, dd. Smile It might be the Hammond Count(?) or something, but it certainly has a block-like nature to it in moving the cards to show the 4 Jokers. It's actually pretty easy to do and does get better and better the more you practice using it in the trick. Smile

I've always liked this way of doing it, since that's the way the old demo presents it..And still to this day, I have yet to see any presentation of it (including the easy start way of just saying one joker goes faced down) that looks any better. I endeavored to learn it that way and real happy I did. But either way you do it, it really is a great trick. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8438 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Real life NFW...

I did NFW during breakfast this 4th of July morning at a restaurant for the owner. I didn't open showing the 4 jokers. I just said it was 4 jokers and began the trick. Smile

The owner is a very nice guy, very tall and quite studious whenever I do a bit of magic in his place...He loves it. Smile Anyway, the first joker going face down didn't impress him but the 2nd one got his attention. And then me slowing down to show how it happens with the 3rd one had him focused as he then amazingly watched all 4 end up face down. Smile

He couldn't believe it and shook his head, and so did one of the waiters that had been watching all along. Smile It was like placing the last nail in the coffin to then show him so cleanly that actually I wasn't using jokers at all... I was using 4 Aces. Smile

He couldn't believe it!, and when I got ready to leave he did some magic for me, and made the cost for my breakfast disappear. Smile Nice guy. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8438 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-06-13 15:52, dduane wrote:
If I recall - the instructions suggest a block count (almost like a swing cut) - alternating 1 and 4 cards. I've been using it for years with this, and it gets natural looking with practice. I don't call attention to it, just do it during the opening patter.

FYI: Hey dd, you're righter than I thought, it is a block push off count sorta thing...Not the Hammond Count at all but still extremely easy to do. Man, there are so many of these counts. Smile

snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
314 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
Hi Mb217 and dduane,...like I stated in my last post,...it is known as the Vesser Count (4 for 1),works great and is fairly easy to master! Mike
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8438 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey thanks snow, I must've missed your initial post here. Not that I would've known exactly what the Vesser Count was Smile but if that's what it's doing, then I guess the Vesser Count it is. Thanks, man. Smile

martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1052 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Quote:
Hi Mb217 and dduane,...like I stated in my last post,...it is known as the Vesser Count (4 for 1),works great and is fairly easy to master!

This doesn't sound like the Veeser Count, as I recall that count uses the Veeser Concept and an Open Biddle Grip. The count described in this thread sounds more akin to a 2-for-4 count, albeit done with 5 cards in a Biddle Grip, sometimes called the DM Count (after Daryl, before the name change). I believe Brother John Hamman also independently invented this count. Can anyone knowledgeable about these counts (and this trick) confirm this?

Marty
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1942 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Great idea -- I'll have to try that... I just open with an EC and say I've got four jokers... one is face down... he's the leader... and move on from there.
No one has ever questioned it, and enough jokers are seen that even if they try to backtrack something about the one that was face down at the start it gets them nowhere.

Quote:
On Jun 14, 2010, Steven Keyl wrote:
It's interesting to me how much time is spent on the opening count to NFW. I used to execute a nifty count to make it work but now I use the opportunity to create a genuinely funny moment for the spectator. If you can make them laugh at the beginning of an effect or routine they will relax and enjoy the magic even more.

What I do is simply tell them "I have 4 jokers face up in my hand and I will now, magically, (wave hand over packet) make one of them turn over." Then do an EC to show one card is turned over and make a big fuss about how it actually turned over. It's as much HOW it is said but has never failed to generate a laugh, since the obvious conclusion is that the card was turned over to begin with. After showing the second card turn over is where the amazement begins.

I would encourage everyone to try this handling a few times to see how it plays. The reactions I get are much stronger now than they used to be, if for no other reason than getting a nice laugh in the beginning. This has a number of benefits: puts them at ease, increases your likeability to the spectator, gets them to pay closer attention what you're doing, etc.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2500 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Thanks for the reminder! I need to dust this one off and start performing it again. It's a great trick.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » NFW, 4 joker count (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL