We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Making my own table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I used to be a drummer and have numerous cymbal stands and music stands laying around that would be perfect as a folding base for a small table. Does anyone know where I can get the mounting flange that I could screw to the bottom of a "board" which would allow a rod to slide into the top of the stand.

Thanks, Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Pearl, LP, Capital Percussion and probably others have trap tables.
You could probably order the mount only from Guitar Center or Musician's Friend as a special order.

If you have a friend with a knack for welding, a short piece of pipe of the correct diameter can be attached to a metal plate with drilled screw holes for the top.

Here's a complete Ludwig version...

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wc......rn=20000
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Jazzy, Thanks

I already have a trap table and use it regularly. I'm looking for another table only this one I want to be smaller and lighter and cheaper than the trap table. The table I have would support a tank and is heavier than I'd like. Carrying two of those would be like playing drums again. I just need a light duty side table to go with my existing trap table.

Ted
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Maybe check the yard sales for old camera tripod parts.
The 1/4" x 20 screw could be attached to your stand permanently with a matching insert (True Value Hardware) countersunk into the table top.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
You need a conduit connector in a 1/2 inch size to connect to the drum stand and a metal pipe flange that is oval and has a place to put screws or bolts and has threads in the middle for the pipe and or conduit connector. You will half to cut the top of your cymbal stand off so the conduit connector will work. My 2 cents...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22927 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I just purchased a converted music stand form Stevens Magic, this is really heavy duty. They used the plumbing brass pipe threaded converters and a floor flange. The connector from the stem to the size converter was just a self locking thread nut.

See it HERE

Here is the commercial music stand they used click here
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Atlas makes flanges for mic stands, which is what I use, I am not sure if they make one for cymbal stands or not.

Regan
Mister Mystery
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
303 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
Go to Lowes, I have several cymbal stands that I use as tables. Both the flanges and nipples can be found in the plumbing dept. for just a few bucks.
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
DATMagic, Thanks. I'll check it out. There's a Lowes nearby.

Ted
Red Neck Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Down Yonder
242 Posts

Profile of Red Neck Magician
Thanks for all of the wonderful posts I think I will be able to make my own side table now.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1436 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Any luck with that trip to Lowe's, Ted? I'm curious to know if they carry those flanges. Typically, I order mic flanges from Guitar Center. They're only 5 bucks, but they never have them in stock so I have to order them and they take forever to arrive. It would be nice to have a quicker, and more reliable source.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Aaron,

They carry flanges but not the size I need to fit in my music stand. I think I've found a local machine shop that will make one cheaply for me. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Ted
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-04-29 02:50, wmhegbli wrote:
I just purchased a converted music stand form Stevens Magic, this is really heavy duty. They used the plumbing brass pipe threaded converters and a floor flange. The connector from the stem to the size converter was just a self locking thread nut.

See it HERE

This music stand may look like the same stand, but it isn't. The music stand uses a hand-tensioned knob to keep the column from moving up and down. The Stevens table stand uses a hex key to lock the column. The hex key is a far more reliable method.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-05-05 08:13, tgplano wrote:
Aaron,

They carry flanges but not the size I need to fit in my music stand. I think I've found a local machine shop that will make one cheaply for me. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Ted

I had very good luck making special stands using gas pipe fittings to go into what the plumbers call floor flanges. You take the column from the stand you want to use down to the local home improvement store and find a gas pipe fitting that will fit over the end of it. Use either low temp silver bearing solder or plumber's epoxy to fasten the pipe fitting in place. Be sure you find a floor flange that will work with your pipe fitting BEFORE you take the trouble to ruin your drum stand.

There are tripod and pentapod mike stands that can be used to make this kind of table as well. They are already threaded to fit a female Atlas mike stand flange. Do not be tempted to use this, though. These mike stand flanges are made of diecast metal. They can break very easily. Use a cast iron or bronze floor flange.

Been there, done that, got caught without a table when the flange broke.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1436 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Thank you Ted, I hope you find a reasonable solution. Also, thank you for the info Bill.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22927 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-05-16 18:49, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-29 02:50, wmhegbli wrote:

See it HERE

This music stand may look like the same stand, but it isn't. The music stand uses a hand-tensioned knob to keep the column from moving up and down. The Stevens table stand uses a hex key to lock the column. The hex key is a far more reliable method.

Sorry, but the stand came with the company sticker, model #, and it does have a hand tension knob, "T" fashion, which I like as it can be tightened by hand. Sorry, no hex key was supplied.
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
That is some mark up
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
303 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
Ted and Aaron,

In the plumbing dept. at lowes they sell what I call copper nipples that come with a sleeve, which I use JB Weld to attach to the music stand, while the other side of the nipple is either male or female which screws into the flange which is made of pot metal. Nipples cost about $2.00 and the flanges run $2 to $3. Hope that helps.
As far as the friction lock that Mr. Palmer referred to, I have never had any trouble with the stand sliding down or becoming unlocked, and if you can pick up a good stand off ebay and spend a little time on it, you'll have a beautiful chrome stand that is adjustable for $25 to $30.00.

David
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
303 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
By the way, the nipples also come in PVC for about .80.

David
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Well, here's the update on getting the flange made. The machine shop wants $75 to make the flange. That's about double what I wanted to spend so I guess that option is out. I'm still looking for a good idea. I'm going to try to find a school with a metal program that might have a student make it as a project.

Ted
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Making my own table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL