The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Houdini Magic Sets by Reiss (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Neely
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
276 Posts

Profile of John Neely
There were two sets which had a big impact on my magic development. They were "Houdini" magic sets and were made by Reiss Magic and I bought them at Toys R US in the late 80's. One was called "Hat Full of Magic" and the other may have been something like "Great Magicians Magic Show". Does anyone know what I'm talking about and do they have a picture of these magic sets with their boxes? I'm writing a book for my mother's 60th birthday about our life together and as she spent hours watching me perform these tricks I thought a picture of these magic sets with bring back lots of good memories (I hope! Smile). Thanks for any information you can give.

John

PS I did find the following post about these magic sets. It seems like someone elses magical development was affected by the same sets. I had the same plastic hat for years as well.

"That's exactly what I'm talking about! I would have to credit Reiss and Marshall Brodein with getting me started in magic; mostly Reiss.

They also did magic sets (composed largely, in some instances of the stuff they sold in individual boxes). I had the Hat Full of Magic (came with a heavy plastic top hat which I still have somewhere), the Great Magicians Magic Show, and the Advanced Magic Set. I also picked up Garcia & Schindlers "Magic with Cards" last week at a used bookstore for $3.50. The quality was better than much of the stuff one sees today. I still have 3 or 4 of the TT's.

They were actually called Reiss Games and sold games too, BTW.

What ever happened to the company?"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here's a hint. In the upper right corner of your screen, there is a button that looks like this [Search]. Click on it. The new window will have several lines. Enter the word Reiss in the line that says "Search by Keyword."

You will get several references. Among them will be this one. It answers all of your questions except for where to get the photos. That will require finding someone who still has some of the sets. Or you might find one of the books by Wittus Witt that has photos of his former collection.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=130

On google, search for Reiss first.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2039 Posts

Profile of Rennie
John,
I have both the sets you are asking about. The Houdini set was not the greatest as most items were punched out of cardboard. I also have many other sets, some collectible, some statndard magic sets. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
You can often find photos of old magic on eBay
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Houdini Magic Sets by Reiss (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL