The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre books you can't live without.... (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
[
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Hm. No photo abd blank about box... cool.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
I still do the hankie and needle through the thumb --I've been known to add stage blood to the hankie to show me bleeding while I pierce the carrot knub under cover.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2010-05-05 19:27, critter wrote:
Hm. No photo abd blank about box... cool.

Click on the books below!
[
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
The first book I owned on the subject of magic was Spooky Tricks, by Rose Wyler and Gerald Ames. It was published in 1968. Spooky Magic by Larry Kettelkamp was published in the 1950s. It had some overlap of material with Spooky Tricks but no pincushion thumb. I got a nifty hardcover copy of Spooky Tricks from abebooks.com
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
245 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Michael J. Fraughton's Bizarre Magick book “The Dark Waltz” ~ Arcane Version. A special 20th anniversary limited edition. Re-imagined in mid 1800's British Academic English and art with additional materials and contributions, elegantly presented in a hardbound edition. with additional contributions from - Paul Draper, Erick Machamer, Mark Edward, Jennifer duQuesnay and Professor BC. Limited to 50 copies. Official release date is Dia de Muertos November 1st 2015.
Preorder is now online.
£66.6
www.BizarreMagic.com
Jiggery-Pokery
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Profile of Jiggery-Pokery
Good evening gentle friends -
I am very pleased to share a very special edition of Michael Fraughton's Dark Waltz. As producer and co developer of the original Visions of Midnight which featured much of the material in the original book I have produced this special edition as a twentieth anniversary celebration.

Michael and I have been working hard from opposite sides of the Atlantic to bring this forward to you and together with some very special friends who have contributed new chapters we want to say thank you for all the years of magic we have created together !

The Dark Waltz ~ Arcane Version
An elegant 20th anniversary edition of the Dark Waltz by Michael J Fraughton completely reimagined in the form of mid 1800’s British Academic English, updated art and sepia plate photos, new bonus contributions and more.
Over thirty chapters of essential bizarre magic and thoughts with details and scripts, as well as explanations on creating powerful effects.

Over twenty complete effects, scripts and narratives, to fuel your imagination including the Crystal Spirit Bell, Summoning of the Beast and How to Control 10,000 Minds.
It contains assistance, contributions, and ideas from Jeff McBride, Christian Chelman, Mark Edward, Tobias Beckwith, Eugene Burger, Jennifer duQuesnay, Erick Machamer, Dino Aragona and more.

Special additional Arcane Version guests have contributed chapters with their own thoughts and effects including Jennifer duQuesnay, Erick Machamer, Paul Draper and Professor BC.

Hardbound black on black with heavy silk pages and red placeholder ribbon – a lovely physical book to match the timeless contents it contains.

Limited to fifty numbered and signed copies.
Pre sales will begin in October 2015
Book release Dia de Muertos
Shipping from scotland to most places.

£66.6

www.BizarreMagic.com
www.Osymandias.uk
Invovo legem magicarum
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
I realize this is an older, revived thread, but I cannot believe no one included Hauntiques. That is an incredible book. Likewise with Prof BC's Phasmology.
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Yes I would say hauntiques changed my perception of what bizarre magic can be.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
bertoneski
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of bertoneski
Blimey this thread is a blast from the past you can now add "Freddy Valentine and The Soho Ghoul." Not a bizarre magick instruction book - more a ripping yarn written by me Bertoneski aka David Chaudoir.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Another great book: Sheherazade by Borodin
Bob
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
For me, the father of all Bizarre books is the complete set of The Jinx.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Some of my personal favorites include:

- Vo-Du Magick by Baba Master Gede Nibo
- The Altar Flame Bound & Complete
- The Compleat Invocation (Vol. 1-3)
- The Complete Oracle
- Bizarre Magick - The Collector's Edition by Larry Baukin
- The Dark Waltz by Michael J. Faughton
- Capricornian Tales by Christian Chelman
- The Practitioner: Journeys into Grey by Eugene Poinc
- Mystic by Roni Shachnaey & Steve Drury

There are plenty others... Yet, these are just the first ones I can rifle off the top of my domepiece right now.

~ Nyama ~
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
For me, it is the complete collection of Grimms.
SacredChao
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of SacredChao
Here's a few of my own necessities:

- Capricornian Tales by Christian Chelman. I love Hauntiques, as well, but I seem to get more mileage out of this one.

- Mysteries of the Runes by Jim Magus... which did not survive the flood, so I need to re-purchase.

- Anything Bill Montana has written. The guy's a friggin genius and easily one of the coolest people on Earth. No, I'm not him under a sock account.

- The Complete Magick Magazine collection. Lots of gems in this, if you're willing to do some digging and think laterally.

- The Shiels Effect by Tony "Doc" Shiels. This fellow is the reason I got started. If it weren't for this book, I may have never discovered Bizarre Magick.

- Hermetic Magic: The Postmodern Papyrus of Abaris, Lords of the Left-Hand Path, and The Galdrabok, all by Stephen Flowers. Good for presentation as well as inspiration.

There are plenty of others, but these are the ones that really get me going. Beyond this, a good day or two on Sacred-Texts provides some fuel for the fire.

Cheers,
SacredChao
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Thanks SacredChao, very kind of you.

Here is a few of the books I read. All of the following was written before 1923 and lays down the historical foundations that would become the roots of the séance. This is an incomplete list. However one may find things highly useful within these pages that can be applied to the séance and bizarre magick as context for an effect or show. Even within the pages of some of the works by Emma when she is writing poetry ideas and constructs have been found. Although some of these works below are generally unrelated to the work or effect that would be created later except for the creation of a thought that would create a chain of thoughts that would lead to the creation of the work.

While some of the works cited below do contain much religious babble at times and in some cases goes on and on with nearly no end in site. These works still contain the core concepts of what the people who attended and conducted the seances thought and believed.

With other works such as the philosophy of Swedberg and Kant one finds concepts relating to human behavior as well as many other things that can be applied to an audience or used by the performer to set up conditions where by an effect even a simple one becomes something beyond the cards on the table. Although at time while you may find Kant a bit dry, incorrect and boring his applications do have value and some of his work does lead to very mysterious concepts that could and should be explored.

Hudson Tuttle (October 4, 1836 – December 14, 1910) and Emma Rood Tuttle (1837–1916) Hudson wife. Both were American Spiritualist.
Arcana of Spiritualism: A Manual of Spiritual Science and Philosophy
A Golden Sheaf, by Hudson and Emma Rood Tuttle.
Mediumship and Its Laws. Answering the question: How can I become a Medium? By Hudson Tuttle.

Religion of Man and Ethics of Science. By Hudson Tuttle.

The Arcana of Spiritualism; a Manual of Spiritual Science and Philosophy. By Hudson Tuttle.

Origin and Antiquity of Man.

Evolution of the God and Christ Ideas. By Hudson Tuttle.

From Soul to Soul. By Emma Rood Tuttle.
Asphodel Blooms and Other Offerings. By Emma Rood Tuttle.

The Lyceum Guide By Emma Rood Tuttle.

Stories from Beyond the Borderland. By Hudson and Emma Rood Tuttle.
Year-Book of Spiritualism for 1871 Hudson Tuttle and James Martin Peebles 1822-1922

Andrew Jackson Davis (August 11, 1826 – January 13, 1910)
The Principles of Nature, Her Divine Revelations, and a Voice to Mankind
The Great Harmonia
The Philosophy of Special Providences
The Magic Staff: an Autobiography
A Stellar Key to the Summer Land
Tale of a Physician, or, the Seeds and Fruits of Crime
Views of Our Heavenly Home
Emanuel Swedberg ( January 29. 1688; March 29. 1772)

Drömboken, or Journal of Dreams 1859 rediscovered in the 1850s

Immanuel Kant ( April 22, 1724– February 12 1804)

Graham Harmon (living) American University of Cairo professor. His exploration of the object in a philosophical construct should be studied by everyone even if they only use a deck of playing cards or some coins. Here in lies one of the great minds and ways of object perception and cards and coins at a core level are objects.

As for the newer stuff anything by

Tony Andruzzi (May 22, 1925 December 22, 1991) writings under Tom Palmer, Tony Andruzzi and Masklyn ye Mage have a ton of great stuff within even his non bizarre stuff has applications and ideas that can be used in a new context. . Such as Invocation as a singular body of outstanding work.

Carl Herron aka Brother Shadow. For those who know his work nothing more needs said.

Christian Chelman Hauntiques (worth every penny spent) while some did not find this work to there tastes-do impart, I suppose to the lack of gimmicks in some cases. I personally found it to be one of the best books on the subject that has came out in a long time as it contains some highly innovative ideas that should be explored by everyone who is studying bizarre Magick. Highly recommended if you looking to get away from the same old stuff.

Baba Gede Nibo

Mary Tomich - Alter Flame

Bascum Jones Magick While its not all bizarre it has some wonderful stuff within these pages.

Plus a few others and just the above should take you a while to read yet strange and wondrous concepts await to be explored within the above works. Okay one more then that's it I.B.D.E.M..

Also I will be in Las Vegas with Robert Marsi doing 2 full day workshops at Denny and Lee Magic Studio on November 13 and 14 of next month. On the 14th I giving away the original Morticians head rest and teaching how to use it as well. Plus teaching a host of other things from my work as well as some unpublished stuff.

Bill Montana
Jiggery-Pokery
View Profile
New user
Scotland
55 Posts

Profile of Jiggery-Pokery
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2010, seadog93 wrote:
It's totally a must have. It's amazing and will blow your mind. I avoided it for a while, because I've got a few older reprints of things and been disappointed, but SEANCE is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

I also absolutely LOVE:
-The Dark Waltz (maybe the best!)
-The Book of Forgotten secrets
-Vo Du Ma Gick
-Capricornian Tales

There aew a few copies of the special 20th anniversary edition of the Dark Waltz available at www.BizarreMagic.com the anniversary edition contains a number of bonus chapters as well as a completely different edit and artwork bount in an elegant black hardbound book.
Invovo legem magicarum
Seance
View Profile
Elite user
Talking on the other side with
427 Posts

Profile of Seance
Here is a link, located at dragonskull ,
to a bibliography of bizarre magic that was curated by Joe Lantierre. It is a little dated, but is invaluable in researching for the more estoric items.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Look what's come up for sale down below...at $20, it is a steal.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=78
morgaine_le_fey
View Profile
Veteran user
Montreal, Canada
391 Posts

Profile of morgaine_le_fey
Capricornian Tales, but that's already ancient... He never came close in his later works (including the French ones).

So that makes me an old hag too Smile

Since then, I moved on to books of real literature, like the ones we know the great Prof BC does so well
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bizarre books you can't live without.... (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL