The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Washout! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
My first big outdoor event of the season, an Earth Day Festival, was today --- and it was a total washout. It rained all night last night, and then drizzled steadily all day today. No way was I going to demo Svengalis in the rain, if anyone was crazy enough to be out in the rain. Fortunately, it was only a $30 spot and it's tax-deductible.

So it's on to the next one, a nice-sized municipal fair in about two weeks. And they were smart enough to schedule a "rain date" for the following day, just in case. In my experience, you only see about two-thirds of the vendors and patrons on a rain date, but 66% of something is still better than 100% of nothing! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
Argh!! That sucks! So you just packed up and left I presume?
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Seth:

Sorry to hear of the washout. Soedays its not worth hauling that tent up that muddy little hill and try to pitch your wares. I have a Festival on Saturday and they are calling for a 60 percent chance of rain and a flea market on Sunday abd there is a 40 percent chance of rain.

So I will have to wait and see how it goes those days Rain usually cuts sales way back, if its a downpour its a total blank. The Saturday spot is a 60.00 spot and the flea market on Sunday is a 20.00 spot.

ROD
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Concert promoters for outdoor events buy rain insurance because so much money is at stake.

Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Louis -- since it was already raining at 6 am and the forecast was for rain all day, I didn't even bother to go and set up; I couldn't see the point of it.

But that's the good thing about pitching -- there's always next weekend! Smile I have a really good spot for the upcoming municipal fair -- right between the funnel cake concession and the pony rides. I usually do very well there (it's like catching fish in a barrel) -- if it doesn't rain!

BTW, I have found that some of the best locations are either near the food concessions, or someplace on the way to the rest rooms (but not too close!). There is always heavy foot traffic in these areas, for obvious reasons. I'm sure Don and other folks have more good tips for good spots. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Seth:

I just confirmed my location at the big festival this Saturday. They gave me a prime spot right beside "Kiddieland", petting zoo, etc. I should have a steady stream of parents and kids , walking by my joint all day long.

Now if the weather holds I am good to go!

Hey that municipal fair you are doing, sounds like a banner location, I wish you all the best with it.
ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Rod -- Sounds like prime real estate for you, too -- the worms should be a shoe-in next to the petting zoo! Good Luck and let's all hope for good weather.

These outdoor fairs are where the money is this time of year, but the weather always is a big factor. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Washout! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL