The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Starting Out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

konradz
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of konradz
Hi all I am looking for advice to set me on the right path.

I am new to magic, but I feel if I have advice on where to be headed from the very beginning it will help me a lot. I have been a hobbyist for some time (couple years) but I never took it seriously. I was mainly an ellusionist kid (*ashamed face*) who just learned the newest hype of a trick and not very well. But I now I wish to learn fewer tricks, but learn them well.

Recently I decided to start getting serious. But at least what I learned is what kind of magic I enjoy: card magic. I do have high hopes to have a career out of this but I have no clue how to get there really. Currently I am just practicing and making my card sleights as perfect as possible. I will (in time) open up repertoire to other areas, but for now I am focusing on cards.

So, thy wise folk out there, where do I go from here? Some concrete advice would really help me figure out a "path".

Some background info about myself. I am a 20 year old student currently studying computer science and statistics at the University of Waterloo. My other hobbies/abilities are boomeranging (who have you heard ever say that before =P).
criverstamu09
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of criverstamu09
What I'm getting from your post is that you've found out you like magic enough to start performing and you know what type of magic you lie, but you feel completely lost on how to start, right?

Well it's pretty simple. You're at a university, so start letting people know that you're a magician and that you are available for events. Try looking at things like parties that different departments have or events that student organizations host.

Another thing is to look into the arts community around where you are. I know that a lot of places do community get-togethers every month, and those are easy to perform at (though it is my experience that you don't really get paid for them.)

Finally, definitely set up a website. My website is done through http://www.wix.com, and it was simple to put together. Get some business cards with your site on it (vistaprint.com has some good quality inexpensive ones)and start marketing.

Hope this helps.
"Who you are moment to moment is just a story."
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
As Criver mentioned, Vistaprint.com is great for the cards. Their site helps you design your card. Their shipping is fast. Before handing out a card, I've made a habit of doing some quick close up magic with a coin(s) or whatever is handy and then use the card as a wand. When done, I hand them the card.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

As Criver mentioned, Vistaprint.com is great for the cards. Their site helps you design your card. Their shipping is fast. Before handing out a card, I've made a habit of doing some quick close up magic with a coin(s) or whatever is handy and then use the card as a wand. When done, I hand them the card.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Vista print is ok but there is a lot better! ME! I can help with design and my prices and quality are better!

yes a biz card is important it should reflect you and present you in a way that they know who you are. so you need to know who you are. what type of audience do you want to perform for. right now it sounds like you need to focus on close up magic and maybe try to land a restaurant gig this will do wonders for learning real quick wh at works and what does not.

the best thing to do is put a 20-30 minute set to gether and try to bok your self for walk around events and or a restaurant.

lots of other ideas but tell us more of what you want to do.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
The first thing I would advise and it's just me...focus on Statistics first (see if you can get Math or Engineering degree) and have Comp Sci as a minor. The industry is not what is used to be, though there will always be jobs.

Second, Card Magic, based on probability, is likely to have a higher opportunity costs.

Based on previous post, I would also recomend takings the arts approach (yes,
there is BA in Comp Sci and Math) where you can take some theatrical/acting/writing courses that will help you with magic; yet, still apply to your degree...

Finaly, the first thing you need to do is have an act. Once you have developed your act then start letting people know that you do magic. You can let them know now and show them a thing or two, but don't take any shows until you have an act. Then when you start doing shows your act will start change as you learn from performance experience. The key is to get out there and perform as much as possible but keep them wanting more.

So as Sam Sandler said, get your self a set and see if you get booked.

Hope this helps...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Starting Out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL