We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Thumbcuffs how I do it (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
The problem with escapes is often they are slow with limited access by audience . I have a bag with 3 thumbcuffs after the usual speel about being outlawed by 47 states because of extreme pain . I pass around bag and let them decide which one I recieve . Then I place 2 audience members often a beautiful lady is in middle then I have some one place their selected cuffs on me. This daisey chain adds real interest and room for jokeing .
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Good

I would like to know more about which escapes you feel are "limited in accessibility".

Also I would like to know your experiance with spectators who have stocky thumbs. Don't a few spectators manage to escape their cuffs?

Is there a website we can see you on?
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
To answer a few questions.As I see it most escapes someone is asked to come on stage to bang around - I think that leaves 200 people thinking I could have found"trap door".I encourage any one to look in bag
this what I ment about acessablity. I have done trick many times and this is my refined show but I am not a full time magician so I am sure problems could occur. With big hands ect. I have never had any one "escape" I do say don't rip your skin trying to get out to plant seed don't go to extremes . I mention using an ax to cut off your thumb is not the answer to this puzzle. I just returned from southern Mexico 15 shows . A little scarry for them FYI . I will mention I had one thumbcuffs where the dog would lock down with out a key -- threw those away quick. No web site.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2010-04-26 15:53, brangwinj wrote:
The problem with escapes is often they are slow with limited access by audience .

Food for thought... in your opinion, what makes most escapes "slow" and how would you speed them up?
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
I have read Houdinis' escapes took a long time and todays audience would not have the patience for them ?? I go to lots of magic and am not always sure my thoughts are the same as the general audience.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
You came to the right place. There are plenty of pros here who know what works in today's market. There is also some truth to your obversation that knowing how an effect works and weather you believe the audience will appreciate it, are two different things. Some entertainers believe if the audience has seen something before then it's no good. Most plays, movies and shows have recurring themes/plot lines (31 in total according to some drama schools) and some are total remakes of an original. So why does the public watch something they've seen before? I think it's the personalities. In some cases side-show performers would perform the same exact act (including the 100 foot rope tie) for weeks at a time and the buying public would line-up to see them again and again, doing the same stunts. Same stunts - possibly a different outcome. I've performed the same show for mosty the same people (two seperate events) within a week and even though the tricks were the same the show was different.

No matter what you do there will be someone that likes it and someone else who will never come to see you... it's the people in the middle who are your biggest challenge.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2010-04-26 21:00, brangwinj wrote:
I have read Houdinis' escapes took a long time and todays audience would not have the patience for them ??

In Houdini's time there was no TV, a little radio and nothing else to occupy someones attention. This meant that people had the ability to hang on to evey minute with gleeful anticipation. Today, peoples attention spans are getting shorter and shorter. Ponder this for a moment. You are watching TV or a movie. How long does a camera angle stay before it is cut to another scene or angle? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? How about 2 or 3 at the most. Rapid fire motages go at 0.10 second per image.

Houdini's style would not work today, just look at the criticism of Blaine's work. Reduce the yawns from the audience, make it quick, snappy and use music accordingly.

My $0.02
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4469 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2010-04-27 09:48, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-26 21:00, brangwinj wrote:
I have read Houdinis' escapes took a long time and todays audience would not have the patience for them ??

In Houdini's time there was no TV, a little radio and nothing else to occupy someones attention. This meant that people had the ability to hang on to evey minute

.... sorry what did you say? I drifted off for a moment......
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Note that while Houdini's earlier 'challenge' work was 'time intensive,' his escapes in the 1920s were FAST, in accordance with the sped-up pace of society.

His basic escape routine was the full-view straitjacket, FAST escapes from trunks, pillories, coffins or whatever he felt like doing that night, and the Water Torture Cell (2 minutes to escape, with the suspense of his being submerged).
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I think even a challenge escape in today's society should take some time to complete. The way I think about it is if you genuinely haven't seen a set of cuffs, for example, before they are snapped on your wrists it's not logical that you'd escape in a matter of a few minutes or even seconds.

Of course it's going to take a bit of time to figure out how to escape. The way I think about it is if something's claiming to be escape proof it needs to appear so in performance. I try (and granted don't always succeed) to judge it so that the audience is thinking "he's not going to do it" and then burst out free as a bird!

I don't do this every time with every routine. But on large stunts it's nice to do.

I also like the "music running out" premise. I first discovered it by accident during a double sj escape. The music really did run out and I was still trapped. I asked for a drink. Sweat pouring down my face. I then had the music re-start and this time I escaped within the first minute.

Audience went mad! By far my best reaction for this escape.

I know others use this ruse so I'm not claiming I created it, only how I discovered it. If you've not tried it I highly recommend giving it a go in the right situation.

I find it's a nice middle ground between getting out every time without worry and complete failure. I'm not sure if failure is a good thing. It works for Jonathan Goodwin. People are never too sure if he'll make it. However, I know many would say you shouldn't do it that way so a middle ground between the two is preferred... Certainly by me.

I've also been thinking about the set up to an escape.

It's not an area that gets talked about, but one that I feel is very important. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this.

In fact I'm equally as interested in what you do after the escape. What you say and how you behave. Are you exhausted, happy, do you sit down? The escape itself is almost secondary as I feel it's the before and after that really sells it.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
I do the act with comedy-- sort of an ah gee lets figure this puzzle out. The thumb cuffs--- I let the 2 people who are still in the cuffs-- now in some pain sell the act for me-- One line I like is "there are always some people that say if I could just see the equiptment and had the time I could figure these tricks out-- I then ask the cuffed folks if they need more time this gets big--- laugh just get me out--. See previous post about TC that had dog that self locked. test before doing trick .. JB
MagicJack99
View Profile
New user
North Pole, Alaska
34 Posts

Profile of MagicJack99
Some escapes need to take more time than others. Suspense can be great if played correctly. I did an escape from a locked and chained trunk, (Not a sub trunk) I was out in no time, exited behind a backdrop and made my way to the back of the theater, there I stood and watched from the audience view. After much suspense and leading the audience to beleive there was only about 2 minutes of air in the trunk
The assitants were instructed to "end" the escape and release me if not out after 2 minutes. After the 2 minutes they drop the curtain and begin to "fumble" with the locks in chains in a desperate attempt to get me out. I could actually see concern from the audience, a few people stood up ready to help. When the trunk was finally opened, out popped the MC, who broke the drama with comedy saying something like "I though you were never gonna let me out of here", oh course I then "appear" in the back. The entire was effect was over 5 minutes long and the audience never lost interest. on the other hand I have seen jacket escapes take way too long and bore the audience to tears. Its all in the presentation I believe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Thumbcuffs how I do it (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL