The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Anyone doing Stage style magic on the streets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
Im not talking about large illusion like modern art or anything like that..... Mainly the parlor style or standup stage tricks...... Basically anything other than cups and balls...... Just curious who's performing what out there across the world on the streets.....

B
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Of course there are. Have you purchased Kozmo's DVD?

No need for cups and balls at all.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mikethemagician
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of mikethemagician
Nick Nickolas does some awesome card manipulations on the street.
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Jimmy Talksalot, Dr. Street( Nick Sharp) Doc Andrews, Bizzaro just to name a few.
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Thanks guys.... but do you know the types of tricks being performed.... Frank.... I have not seen it yet.... I really don't care to see the tricks being performed but I would be interested in the Q and A part of the DVD.....

Guys I am starting to put together my street ac again as I have been out of magic for a few years now.... I am ONLY looking to street perform and only on the weekends locally where I live.... So I am just curious the types of tricks people are performing out on the street... Again I am mainly interested in the guys doing tricks that can be done off the table and preferably that would play in a theater as well.... I am just curious as to who's doin what.....

B

Thanks so far for your help guys.....
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

B,

What is it that you already do well? THOSE are your tricks.

People are doing tricks with:
ropes
silks
rings
balls
cards
whatever...

There are tons of threads on "what are you doing?" just go search. If I were you, I'd focus on what you already are good at. Looking for tricks won't make you better. Performing with what you already know will make you better. There are no magic bullets. NONE.

Most responses to this are usually... "yeah, I know. I don't plan on doing what everybody else is doing. I just thought it would be fun for all of us to pitch in".

Yeah, well, I don't buy that. Posts like this are a cry for help but the only real help anyone needs is:

Pick your 4 best tricks and GET YOUR A** OUT THERE AND PERFORM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE unitl you do those 4 tricks better than anyone else in the world. It does not matter what they are. Pick your FAVORTE 4 tricks. In several years, you'll be great if you keep at it.
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Thanks FranK.... I already have my tricks together or on their way here...... And yes its true..... "i don't plan to do what everyone else is doing......." Smile I am mainly just curious as to what other buskers are performing just to help get my brain going on that creative trip...... I will tell you what I have thus far that I know works for me.....

Thumb cuffs
Prediction Board
Sword Thru Neck
Twisted Sisters Jumbo
Needle Thru Balloon
Rope Routine
Bill In Orange

I agree with you about perform what I know and that there are no magic bullets....... I am trying harder now as I am getting back into magic to fall into the "clone trap" where I am just a clone of Gazzo, or Copperfield, etc..... I did that for a long time and Im glad I have forgotten most of that over the years..... So I am hoping to start fresh with my own ideas and patter now that I am at a new beginning.....

My biggest concern at this moment is to keep the show moving without stopping so people don't a a chance to walk away in between tricks........

Thanks for your advice
B
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Being original is never easy, but it's always more satisfying (well, for the artist anyway). My street act starts with a couple of little comedy music bits on my concertina, then a little comedy 'cold reading', maybe a d'light bit if it's dark enough outside, then some plate spinning with my rabbit in the hat puppet balancing the stick and plate on his nose, then about five minutes of ventriloquism with Henry. It's not the greatest sreet act in the world, but it's original and it's not bad. You're right about keeping it moving Brandon, that's important. I work pretty close to my script, and since I use fairly large props, I have to be introducing the next bit while I'm putting away the previous prop. I have a vaudevillian performance style, so elaborate hyperbole suits me and I use it to give drama and flow to what basically is putting away stuff and getting stuff out. Since I do use kind of large, valuable props, being in control of them is
very important on the street, so I had to structure the act with this in mind. It would get very awkward very quickly without good transitions.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I don't know anyone doing the stuff you're planning on doing. Good for you.

A couple things I'd recommend:
1. don't worry about people leaving. they will. but note when and why. fix it next time. just don't let it bug you.
2. make sure your next routine is ready to go immediately.
3. have something PLANNED to say between each trick as you are putting one away and getting the next one. watch other acts and see how they transition. It could be as easy as a running gag that gets more ridiculous each time.
4. Try to make your setup/takedown/reset of props as easy on yourself as possible.
5. leave them wanting more. you don't need to do everything.

At first you just want to get your feet wet performing and getting a feel for what it's like out there. You could even just do a bunch of tricks to see how it goes.
Lots of things will come to you once you're out there. You can't think of everything in advance.

Jerry Seinfeld once said regarding the comedy conventions where comics, agents, talent scouts, etc. all get together in Vegas to discuss comedy and what comics need to do to get good and make a living..

"If I was in charge I would send all those people (agents,scouts, etc.) away, get all the comics in a big huge room together at once, and drop down a big sign that says 'Go home and WORK.' Convention over. THAT is how you get good. By working."
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Frank's two postings above should be printed out and framed. Golden advice.

Years ago a columnist in The Magic Menu kept asking his readers to submit a list of their favorite tricks for performing in restaurant/bar venues. Not many readers chose to respond despite prodding by the columnist. I suspect most workers choose not to publicize what tricks they perform because they don't want everyone else to run out and start performing the same effects.

As Al Goshman used to say; the magic is YOU.
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
Here is what I do (without getting too specific):

Silk and TT,
Sponge Balls or Benson Bowl (depending on weather),
Rope,
Egg Bag,
and Cards.

It's a modest little act but I like it (so does my crowd). Nothing in my act is truly original in the ... magic community but to the many lay people I perform for it is. It still amazes me when I perform the silk and TT and people go "Ahhhh .... Wow". I am so conscious of the TT that I say to myself, "really? are they blind or am I that good" (probably the former) Smile

These are the effects I know ... very well. I'm working on incorporating the Miser's Dream too. Props to the guys that do escapes on the street (... Thumb cuffs, etc ...). I can just imagine my stuff walking away while I'm tied up. Smile

Best thing to do is perform a search on YouTube for busking, magic, and street. You will see tons of videos portraying what people are doing on the street.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Stiff rope

prof. nightmare

egg bag

thumb tie

cardtrick with a whip

lasso show finale
magicbenyoung
View Profile
New user
Maryville, Tennessee
36 Posts

Profile of magicbenyoung
Check out Jeff McBride's Commando Act. You can find it on McBride Magic On Stage Volume 1 DVD.

Its a great act that can be done on the street but has a stage-like feel.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Anyone doing Stage style magic on the streets? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL