The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Favorite Non-Fiction Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Mind Reading and Telepathy," by Erick Jan Hanussen; translated into English and edited by Bill Palmer. This is one of the strangest, most intriguing books I have ever read. Bill Palmer can describe much better than anyone what it was like editing and translating this oddest of books.

"The Glorious Deception: The Double Life of William Robinson, aka Chung Ling Soo, the Marvelous Chinese Conjurer," by Jim Steinmeyer.

"Milo & Roger," by Arthur Brandon: "One of the greatest Comedy Magic Acts of the twentieth century. Two boys from poor families, Arthur Brandon and Roger Coker followed a shared passion — Magic! Theirs is a story of a semi-charmed life filled with laughter, humanity, bawdiness and poignance. Milo & Roger takes you from the stages of church basements to carnivals, from minstrel shows to Asian hostess clubs, from medicine pitches to Broadway, TV and the most prestigious stages in the world. One of the most entertaining autobiographies ever written, and one you will have trouble putting down."

"Indescribable Phenomenon," by Barry H. Wiley: She was one of the most famous and successful mediums and mentalists of the twentieth century. She fooled the best minds of her time. She was, in the words of J. N. Maskelyne '...a fascinating little blond.'

"After devoting twenty-eight years of research to her, Barry Wiley has written a biography that is both highly entertaining and thoroughly documented, weaving a story that includes a cast of magicians, mind readers, mediums, scientists, private detectives, frauds, suicides and murderous autopsies. It is a chapter of magic's history not to be missed.

On March 31, 1848, a new religion called Spiritualism was born. Less than three years later there occured another birth, that of Ann Eliza Heathman to a simple cobbler in Southington, Ohio. While still a child, Annie was told she was a medium for the spirits of the dead, and from that point on she never looked back.

Her ability to make people believe she could summon the shades of the departed brought her to the attention of H. Melville Fay, an unscrupulous fraudulent medium (or exposer of fraudulent mediums—whichever was paying best at the time). Under his guidance, Annie conquered America and then Europe, becoming Anna Eva Fay, the girl who baffled William Crookes, one of the most respected scientists of the age.

When the star of Spiritualism finally waned, Anna adapted, conjuring thoughts, rather than ghosts, from the minds of theater audiences, to become one of the most famous and successful stage mentalists of the twentieth century. Barry Wiley has spent twenty-eight years researching the astonishing life and career of Anna Eva Fay, and chronicles it with the touch of an experienced storyteller, while fully documenting his tale, the nature of which might otherwise be doubted. Along the way, he uncovers facts about other famous mediums and mystery performers of the heyday of Spiritualism, including the story behind how Washington Irving Bishop, one of America's greatest 'muscle readers', got the nickname 'petticoat Bishop', and how Charles H. Foster, the famous billet-reading medium, met a face-to-face challenge from Bishop on a New York stage and beat him in a battle of dueling frauds. Wiley trots out long-buried facts, explodes fables, and leads the reader through the exploits of a cast of characters worthy of Dickens. From the underbelly of Spiritualism to the peak of the world's stages, he follows Anna Eva Fay and a lifetime of strange acquaintances. She was a celebrity, an enemy of J. N. Maskelyne, a close friend of Houdini, Kellar and Karl Germain, and one of the last century's greatest mind-readers. She was 'The Indescribable Phenomenon' and this is her story."
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Hanussen book was one of the strangest I have ever translated. When I translate, I don't just plug words into sentences. Instead, I try to get inside the mind of the author and capture his style. Previously, most of the magic books I had translated had been written by people I knew, so I had an idea of how they spoke and how they wrote. The Hanussen book was different, because the author had been dead for decades. So I needed to find parallel examples in English.

This was further complicated by other problems. One is that Hanussen was not a formally educated man, and was largely self-taught when it came to grammar, writing, etc. Some of his "education" in this field was gained by reading psychology texts that had been written in the 19th century, when ponderous sentences made of intertwined dependent clauses, many of which were almost impossible to extricate from one another without losing track of the thoughts contained therein, were not only in vogue, but were the sign of great intellectual capacity. The previous sentence will give you an idea of what I was up against.

Some of his education as a writer was gained by reading and writing scandal sheets.

He was Viennese, which meant that he had a particular range of localized slang. He was a carney, which means that he had another vocabulary to work with, and he was Jewish, so the occasional Yiddish expression and/or reference slipped in, as well.

Mindreading and Telepathy was actually the second attempt Hanussen made to explain how his art worked. The first was a smaller booklet that contained much of the same material. However, when he reached the peak of his popularity, he found himself in a dilemma. He was the unofficial psychic/fortune-teller of the nazis. He had placed his allegiance squarely behind Hitler. He had converted to Catholicism, become a member of the Sturmabteilung, and had written numerous articles supporting their cause. He was basically an opportunist of the first rank.

If Hitler or his minions had found a copy of this book, it would have been curtains for Hanussen. It explained exactly how to do his act. So, Hanussen bought back and destroyed as many of the copies of the book that he could find. Only a handful remained.

In January of 1933, Hanussen predicted that the Reichstag, the German equivalent of the Houses of Congress, would be destroyed by fire. On February 3, that's exactly what happened. There is little doubt why Hanussen was able to give such an accurate prediction. The result was that Hitler took over the government of Germany, declaring martial law.

As a token of his appreciation, Hitler had Hanussen thrown in jail, and a week later, had him taken to the woods outside of Berlin, where he was executed.

In my introduction to the book, I mention that Hanussen's first brush with fame was at the age of nine, when he set fire to an apartment building as a prank, and inadvertently caused the capture of the leader of a group of thieves. His last brush with fame was the prediction of the Reichstag fire. He started in a blaze of glory and went out the same way.

It was kind of fitting, I think.

=========================================================================

Re: the Milo and Roger book.

This is great reading. However, if you really want to understand Milo and Roger, you MUST purchase the additional material Dustin Stinnett has put together about this unlikely pair of entertainers.

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 8:11pm
Here is a little more about the translating procedure for Mindreading and Telepathy. Usually, when I translate a book, I try to get inside the author's head.

I could do that with Punx, Borodin and Ted Lesley. However, when I got inside Hanussen's head, it wasn't a pretty sight. It was really creepy in there.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
One of my favorite non-fiction historical magic books is Jim Steimeyer's Hiding the Elephant, also his Chumng Ling Soo.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-10-29 12:20, Bill Palmer wrote:
The Hanussen book was one of the strangest I have ever translated. When I translate, I don't just plug words into sentences. Instead, I try to get inside the mind of the author and capture his style. Previously, most of the magic books I had translated had been written by people I knew, so I had an idea of how they spoke and how they wrote. The Hanussen book was different, because the author had been dead for decades. So I needed to find parallel examples in English.

This was further complicated by other problems. One is that Hanussen was not a formally educated man, and was largely self-taught when it came to grammar, writing, etc. Some of his "education" in this field was gained by reading psychology texts that had been written in the 19th century, when ponderous sentences made of intertwined dependent clauses, many of which were almost impossible to extricate from one another without losing track of the thoughts contained therein, were not only in vogue, but were the sign of great intellectual capacity. The previous sentence will give you an idea of what I was up against.

Some of his education as a writer was gained by reading and writing scandal sheets.

He was Viennese, which meant that he had a particular range of localized slang. He was a carney, which means that he had another vocabulary to work with, and he was Jewish, so the occasional Yiddish expression and/or reference slipped in, as well.

Mindreading and Telepathy was actually the second attempt Hanussen made to explain how his art worked. The first was a smaller booklet that contained much of the same material. However, when he reached the peak of his popularity, he found himself in a dilemma. He was the unofficial psychic/fortune-teller of the nazis. He had placed his allegiance squarely behind Hitler. He had converted to Catholicism, become a member of the Sturmabteilung, and had written numerous articles supporting their cause. He was basically an opportunist of the first rank.

If Hitler or his minions had found a copy of this book, it would have been curtains for Hanussen. It explained exactly how to do his act. So, Hanussen bought back and destroyed as many of the copies of the book that he could find. Only a handful remained.

In January of 1933, Hanussen predicted that the Reichstag, the German equivalent of the Houses of Congress, would be destroyed by fire. On February 3, that's exactly what happened. There is little doubt why Hanussen was able to give such an accurate prediction. The result was that Hitler took over the government of Germany, declaring martial law.

As a token of his appreciation, Hitler had Hanussen thrown in jail, and a week later, had him taken to the woods outside of Berlin, where he was executed.

In my introduction to the book, I mention that Hanussen's first brush with fame was at the age of nine, when he set fire to an apartment building as a prank, and inadvertently caused the capture of the leader of a group of thieves. His last brush with fame was the prediction of the Reichstag fire. He started in a blaze of glory and went out the same way.

It was kind of fitting, I think.

=========================================================================

Re: the Milo and Roger book.

This is great reading. However, if you really want to understand Milo and Roger, you MUST purchase the additional material Dustin Stinnett has put together about this unlikely pair of entertainers.

Posted: Oct 29, 2010 8:11pm
Here is a little more about the translating procedure for Mindreading and Telepathy. Usually, when I translate a book, I try to get inside the author's head.

I could do that with Punx, Borodin and Ted Lesley. However, when I got inside Hanussen's head, it wasn't a pretty sight. It was really creepy in there.

Hi Bill,

Your end comment is too intriguing to pass over.

What did you "see" when you entered Hanussen's inner life?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He was a very disturbed man. He had a deep-seated inferiority complex, and he thought nobody understood him. Unfortunately, he was partially right.

In order to learn how to do his muscle-reading act, he posed as a reporter and conned Joe Labero into teaching him how to do it. He said he would never reveal how it worked or use it in public. Then he went on stage and made a small fortune or two. He was a con man right down to the soles of his feet.

I think he had a glimpse into the immediate future of what was going to happen with Europe. In a letter to Juhn (which he wrote from the prison right before he was executed), who was one of his booking agents that he had a big falling out with, he said that he realized that "this madman" (Hitler) meant all of the crazy things he had said in Mein Kampf, and that he (Juhn) needed to get out of Europe as fast as he could.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-10-31 14:41, Bill Palmer wrote:
He was a very disturbed man. He had a deep-seated inferiority complex, and he thought nobody understood him. Unfortunately, he was partially right.

In order to learn how to do his muscle-reading act, he posed as a reporter and conned Joe Labero into teaching him how to do it. He said he would never reveal how it worked or use it in public. Then he went on stage and made a small fortune or two. He was a con man right down to the soles of his feet.

I think he had a glimpse into the immediate future of what was going to happen with Europe. In a letter to Juhn (which he wrote from the prison right before he was executed), who was one of his booking agents that he had a big falling out with, he said that he realized that "this madman" (Hitler) meant all of the crazy things he had said in Mein Kampf, and that he (Juhn) needed to get out of Europe as fast as he could.

Thank you for this rare and fascinating window into the mind of a quixotic man.

A most suitable post on All Hallows' Eve
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Wilfried Kugel wrote a book about Hanussen that is in German. It's a rather dry study of him. It has practically every newspaper, magazine and official reference about Hanussen that ever made it to print. He came to an interesting conclusion.

Kugel believed that Hanussen was genuine, even though he knew that he faked some of his performance. He based this on an event that took place when Hanussen's advance man was detained by the authorities and was unable to do some of the advance preparation that Hanussen liked to have done. Kugel's comment was that in spite of this lack of special preparation, he was able to complete the program with 100% accuracy. Kugel obviously did not have any real idea how unimportant this was to a man like Hanussen who could think on his feet.

Of far greater interest and readability is Mel Gordon's book Hitler's Jewish Clairvoyant. It has the best of the newspaper and magazine material, and it's a fun read!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Favorite Non-Fiction Books (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL