The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No pain, no gain...a dentist's motto (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Am I the only one?

A routine cleaning and the dentist suggests he premptively restores those two old fillings in my rear lower molars. OK.

So, where there was no problem and no pain, changes in two days following the 'restoration'. I think the bite needs adjusting. After two weeks of increasing pain and adjusting to no avail, I am scheduled for root canal this coming Monday.

So, I pay for the fillings, I pay for the root canal, and I pay for the crown.

Is something wrong with this picture?!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Fillings are good for a decade or so. Then infection can start at the BOTTOM of the filling. That is how some teeth start to look grey.
Ask to see your Xrays and look carefully at the tissue inside the tooth and for infection at the bottom of the filling.

Your dentist should be able to present findings in a way that you understand what is happening. I wish they could just grow new teeth in place. Till then it's important to get the infected tissue out before bone loss makes things very bad.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
OK, heres my take on the hole (sorry, bad pun!) thing...

Because dentists are highly trained professionals it may be difficult for them to explain the reasons for particluar procedures, or they may assumne that you don't want to know the reasons.

Having said that, if they are going to make you pay then they are obliged to explain just what/why/where/when the costs were incurred. You have every right to question their conduct regarding the original work (I am assuming from your post taht you are curious to know if the original work as partly to blame for the later work?).

If, by removing the filling the dentist found a problem that needed fixing, then you are probably lucky he did, as these things tend to get out of hand if no-one notices them!

The hole (there I go again!) thing makes me look at your avatar slightly different now! Instead of a man contemplating life, I now see a man holding his jaw because of his toothache!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10767 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Rob it would of been better if you just had the tooth yanked out .
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Thanks for the responses, guys.
I have always been a skeptic and magic only compounds that character! Advice well taken, I will ask to have the xray, et al, explained.

Chris...you have me looking at my avatar differently now, too!

Vinny...I can always count on you for the most direct answers!! I contemplated that one. Ironically, the extraction is cheaper, but to complete that phase a bridge is warranted and that ends up more costly.

Fortunately (if there is a fortunate) the pain pills have slowed down my pass and it looks so much better!!
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I know it sounds a little cynical but as you said at the beginning..

"he suggested he restore some old fillings"

now..if he takes a tooth out , he has no old
work to restore some time in the future.

Howard
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Any good dentist should give suspect fillings a blast of air to see if you can feel the 'air leak'. They should also do X-rays and show you the photos before any work (are you sighted Blindbo? I wasn't sure. If not then the photos should be shown to someone with you). They should then tell you what it's going to cost. How on earth any so-called professional dentist can get the bite wrong? This guy sounds a nightmare! In the UK most dental appointments are partly subsidised by the National Health Service - but it still works out expensive, and some dentists do 'play the system' - almost to ridiculous levels before being discovered. They then just get a warning (after their bogus fortune has already been made). Our dentist has just retired at age 55 to the South of France, - and he was one of the GOOD guys, so what the other sort must make is open to our imagination!
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Hi Aceparties (you have no pm available, otherwise I would have),
I appreciate your sensitivity by way of asking about my sightedness. I am sighted.

The moniker came about from an interaction with a salesperson as I was purchasing a reed for my sax. They wanted my name for a mailing list (and offered a discount). I obliged them with Mr. BlindBo Somebody (sounds jazzy, doesn't it?). The name has, over time, hit many a junk mailer and subsequently has become a nickname.

Everyone here has enlightened me to be more questioning of medical matters. Although I wouldn't begrudge anyone of their right to command a price, I intend to have them justify it in common terms.

Thanks to all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No pain, no gain...a dentist's motto (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL