We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Tyler Wilson's new book: In-depth review! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I first met Tyler 5 years ago at a magic camp in Ontario. He complemented my bottom deal and I told him how much I loved his material. Since then our relationship has developed into a real friendship and 2 weeks ago he emailed me and asked if I would look over his new book. In the course of our conversations he joked about me getting a rectal exam (Iím not) and I told him that I was pumped to see what he was working on. Thatís right- five years have passed and little has changed; I still love his material and heís still talking about my bottom.

But I digress.

I warned Tyler that I had two rules about reviewing work- the first is that Iím up front about my relationship with the creator (or in this case, author) and the second was that I was allowed to be honest. Sometimes this has meant my reviews are never publically posted (since I can be quite critical) and other times, when they were posted, they have led to problems and even the loss of friendships.

Luckily neither has proven to be a problem since I am happy to tell you that the book kicks mega-butt.

Because this book is so large (200 pages) Iíve decided to focus on just the highlights (in my opinion) - and even THAT will take several separate reviews!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask- if I canít answer Iím sure Tyler can (or, as a last resort, a magic 8-ball). On to the review!

PART ONE: BEFORE WE EVEN GET TO THE MAGIC

The first thing youíre hit with, besides the attractive layout of the book, is an essay on Tylerís philosophy towards magic- its about experiencing, performing and interacting in the now.

ďThe material in the following pages should provide a pretty good indication of how I approach my magic. But if I had to sum it up in a Twitter-suitable bite, it would be: Look ma, Iím a hamster! And Iíd still have 117 characters to spare. No, it has nothing to do with my hairy back or my need to lick large blocks of salt. Itís because hamsters live in a very small bubble of existence. They have what appears to be the shortest memory-span in the animal kingdom Ė less than twenty minutes - and their entire universe can fit in less space than Stewart Jamesí anthology. To parallel this to my performances, it means I focus very much on the here and now. The magic has to be about me or my spectators, and involve my immediate surroundings. This is a common theme that can be found throughout most of the material in the book.Ē

If youíve never experienced Tylerís unique brand of magic, that gives you a pretty good indicator of what you can expect. Heís funny, heís clever, and his magic is focused on what matters- his audiences, their experiences, and hamsters.

PART TWO: MOVES AND SLEIGHTS

Like I said in the first part of this review, I will only be focusing on my personal highlights- this means Iíll be leaving out some goodies but it also means this review will be shorter then the actual book.

There are three really cool ideas in the section that are worth mentioning. First, a multiple lift he calls Shoplift. Itís reminiscent of Paul Curryís Relativity Lift (a source Tyler credits) and it looks really natural. It also allows for big blocks (4 or even 5 cards) to be handled while remaining open and deceptive. This is worth a look.

Second, we have Ground Control. Itís an easy move that allows you to do Marloís Convincing Control but ending with the card on top of the deck. Best of all they can burn your hands.

Third, but not least, we have the iPod Shuffle. I donít know how good this is, since Iíve only watched myself do it, but itís a very simple, and very interesting, idea thatís got me thinking.

PART THREE: NEW PRINCIPLES

Creating new moves, in my opinion, is fairly easy (at least it can be). Creating new principles though rarely is. And Tyler gives us two new ones in this book.

The firs is Occamís Edge, which is a versatile concept that allows cards to ďvanish, appear, transport and change colorsÖ all in supremely visual ways.Ē In some hands this will be really weak, and more of a Ďcute trickí. In other hands, itíll be a powerhouse- a tool for making some powerful magic (like The Carlyl Homing Card) even stronger. Essentially the basic sequence is that you have a card signed on the side, rather then the back or face (providing some great moments of comedy), itís lost in the pack (and they can see exactly where) and then, with no moves, the card slowly and visibly vanishes. Of course there is more you can do with it though, including transpositions, transportations, and color changes.

The second principle is called Inspected Gadget. An envelope, sealed, can be handed to someone before the show begins. Later a card, or bill, is signed, vanishes, and ends up INSIDE the sealed envelope. This entire piece is brilliant- the method is practical and deceptive, and Tyler makes a very persuasive argument for why this method is far superior to the Bruno Hennig one (included a very funny diatribe about Neanderthals and children). This is fantastic and I will be using this in my professional work.

Iím heading out to the C.A.M. convention early tomorrow morning so I donít know when Iíll have free time, but Iíll try to post the second part of the review (which will look at a bunch of the impromptu card magic) tomorrow.

Night!
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I just realized that this review may be a little daunting to read.

What do you guys prefer as far as the next review goes- long and in-depth like the first part above or short and sweet?

Thoughts?

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
So far, so good. If someone can't handle reading a detailed review, they're not buying books anyway.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Would love a detailed review and especially some thoughts on the difficulty range of the material. I love Tyler's style but always worry about buying books full of knuckle-busters.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Definitely more detailed reviews!
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
Quote:
First, a multiple lift he calls Shoplift. Itís reminiscent of Paul Curryís Relativity Lift (a source Tyler credits) and it looks really natural. It also allows for big blocks (4 or even 5 cards) to be handled while remaining open and deceptive. This is worth a look.

Now I can do all the tricks that says, "using your favorite method, turn over the block of five as a single card" Smile
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey guys,

The convention is going great. I won the 'celebrity' One-handed Card Cut Contest (by cheating though!) and I got to session with J.C. Wagner, Paul Richards, and Henry Evans (who's got CRAZY cool stuff) earlier tonight- not to mention some great attendees.

Between working long hours in the dealers room and jamming with the fellas I haven't had time to post the next part of the review, but the convention ends on Sunday so I'll have it then!

Love,
Ben

Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2317 Posts

Profile of Doomo
So the next part of this review is when? I am supposed to have a bit of something in this mighty tome of Canadian Cnowledge...So I juz be wantin ta see it...
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2010-05-06 07:47, Doomo wrote:
So the next part of this review is when? I am supposed to have a bit of something in this mighty tome of Canadian Cnowledge...So I juz be wantin ta see it...

I gave up- it was just too time consuming.

Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2010-05-07 02:16, Ben Train wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-06 07:47, Doomo wrote:

I gave up- it was just too time consuming.

Psych!

The next section of the book is material that can be done with a borrowed deck. If youíre like me (and I hope to gosh you arenít) then this will be the first section youíre drawn to.

It begins with a routine called Schlorange, named after the famous Swiss auto mechanic who invented the first lube-powered underwaterÖ no, Iím making that up- it means nothing. What it is though is a multi-phase, multi-magic routine that involves several people around the table. Four of a kinds are found, selections visually appear, mystery card are revealedÖ thereís a lot of stuff here to like. The best thing about it though (which you will find of value even if you donít ever try the trick) is Tylerís philosophical approach to combining effects. We all know how muddled and confusing crap can get when we cram random parts into a whole, but Tylerís approach allows us to do that when we want to create our own routines and have them remain clear. It could also be used, by someone clever enough, to turn a bunch of random tricks during a strolling gig into a coherent set! Just sayiní.

Two more things before I forget: First, Tyler introduces a new format for reading magic books with his ďRead inside the BoxĒ parts, which box off the description of standard sleights so that those in the know can skip them. This is brilliant. He also indicates when he has new subtleties in those boxes so those interested, and who are already familiar with the move, can choose to read them. Second, some of Tylerís tricks require you to be wearing pants, because otherwise youíre naked and thatís just weird.

Trick two!- Hippopotomonstosesquipedaliophobia

This is a spelling routine for those that donít like spelling routines. It does away with the problem of patronizing your audiences (ďdo you know how to spell Ďredí?Ē), itís friggen hilarious (I remember when I first saw it and everyone was dying laughing) and it has a killer kicker that is totally unsuspected but totally logical in hindsight (think ĎThe Usual Suspectsí kind of thing). This is a stand-out routine in my mind.

Note: you donít need to be wearing pants for this.

Trick Three! SWEEOTCH.

Basically this is a two card transpo that happens in your mouths. Yup, you read that right. Iím sure Tyler would agree that this type of routine wouldnít play for everyone, and I have to be honest- I cannot see myself ever using it. But it IS a funny routine, and Tylerís found a routine that justifies the magic and motivates the action. Someone will turn this into their signature piece, even if it wonít be me (Iíll stick to the method he published in his first book).

TrickÖ I lost count. Running Man!

This is Tylerís ungimmicked handling for the Anniversary Waltz plot. Rather then review this trick (which is like a cards across with a kicker, and itís great) Iíll tell you a story. Last year, big magic convention. Tyler gets a big guy on stage (looks like the Hulkís stunt double) and his wife. Tyler does the routine, talking about finding oneís true love. The two signed cards end up merging. He slowly reveals that on one side is the womanís nameÖ and on the otherÖ mine. Yes, mine. He then points me out and tells Roger to kick my ass. And then I ran like hell.

No, I was not in on it and no, no one but Tyler knew he was planning on doing. The end of the story though is that I got the girl and Tyler got Roger, so we all went home winners.

The trick played for about 200 people, on stage, and would be even stronger in an intimate setting. Sure the gimmicked version has a better giveaway at the end but this one is nice if you just have a deck, a wife, and a guy who looks like Lou Ferrigno.

http://www.muscle-build.com/images/lou-ferrigno.jpg

I have purposely left out several tricks in this review for two reasons. The first is that this review is getting long. The second though is that I want you to discover some cool stuff on your own, so I purposely left out a show stopper or two (one of them actually IS a show stopper, as Iíve seen Tyler use it to close a show).

I promise the next part of the review will be posted much faster and I hope itís been helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Until next time,
Ben

learachel
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of learachel
YES! when the book will be ready ?lol
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
Just got a mail saying its now released.

Whats the difficulty leve on the material in the book?
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2010-05-07 12:53, frimuraren12 wrote:
Whats the difficulty level on the material in the book?

Hey bud,

I'd say the majority of the stuff is intermediate but I'm only half way through the book. There's some culling, some double lifts, a double-undercut or two, some break work, etc.

If this would be your first card magic book I wouldn't recommend it, but for anyone familiar with card work there shouldn't be anything in the book, so far, that would give them any problems.

Ben

frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
Occamīs edge sounds really interesting.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2124 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I met Tyler and saw him lecture in 2009. His lecture had a lot of great stuff, including Occam's Edge and Inspected Gadget. I'll definitely be checking out the book because Tyler is extremely clever and funny. Everything he showed me impressed me in one way or another, whether through method, presentation, etc. I'm also interested in picking up the book because I didn't know that wookies can write, which is an impressive feat in and of itself.

Tyler is definitely a guy to watch out for.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Vorezo
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Vorezo
This book looks sweeeeeet! Just like his other book I'm sure it will be a great read and looks like it has some killer stuff. Definitely going to pick this up!
frimuraren12
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of frimuraren12
So is the book released? I got a mail saying you can now order the book, but on the site it says that the books at the printer.
Brett Taylor
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Brett Taylor
I have seen and happen to know a few goodies from this book as I have a set of lecture notes from CAM a year ago. And I also have to be perfectly honest. These ideas are truly eye opening to a new style of magic that is common but rarely done well, not to mention the truly innovative mind behind the creation.

This book looks and sounds like another winner and will surely be one of the influential books on future magic that will hopefully be apparent sooner than later (pending the 2012 deadline we have).

I haven't read it, but it is a must read.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1898 Posts

Profile of Daren
Any news as to when this book is ready???
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
It'll be shipping in about 12 days from today.

Rich Aviles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Tyler Wilson's new book: In-depth review! (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL