The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » R. Paul Wilson's Products (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi everyone,

I just received a number of items from R. Paul Wilson. If you have the chance visit his website (www.rpaulwilson.com)and check out his offerings.

I particularly like his One True Ring. It is a great routine using a Jardine Ellis Ring. The directions are photo-illustrated and very clearly written. I got a chance to see Paul actually perform the routine and it is a killer. It is very visual and very magical. I know that I will be using it in my strolling gigs.

The other material looks very interesting. I am sure many of you will find some of his things of interest.

BTW, I have no financial interest, nor do I receive any renumeration for this posting.

Regards,

Paul Green

Smile Smile Smile
lithis
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of lithis
To be honest, I don't really like his material. I've purchased a couple of his effects (Inslow Effect and Completely Crowded), neither of which I cared for. One True Ring looks pretty good though, I'd check it out.
maniac
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga
65 Posts

Profile of maniac
In Paul's defense, I have his Restaurant act video. It's great, flows well and gets a tremendous responce.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I didn't care for his Fan-2-C, Gypsy Monte, or Richocet, but I liked his Hit The Road DVD with Lee Asher.

He also has published his work on Dai Vernon's Out of Sight, Out of Mind. I believe Paul's version is called Out of Your Mind. It is an AMAZING piece of mentalism. I perform it all of the time. It can be done with a borrowed deck, totally impromptu. I can't recommend it enough.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
The One True Ring is very good. I saw it live at a convention in sweden and we enjoyed it very much.
He also did a routine with a wallet and some cash it looke really amazing.

http://www.rpaulwilson.com/
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
His Twists of fate video has to be one of the most underrated vids of all time.

All the effects are great, and not that hard to do.
I like Paul's stuff a lot.
Cheers,
James Linn
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I can recall when he showed me a double push-off on the table with two regular cards, it was amazing. I have practised a lot and I do it like he did it Smile
Very useful when you work with double lifts.
Its extremely convincing when you throw 2 cards on the table as one.
Yuji
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
138 Posts

Profile of Yuji
Any video for this double push-off on the table ?

Thanks
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quote:
He also has published his work on Dai Vernon's Out of Sight, Out of Mind. I believe Paul's version is called Out of Your Mind. It is an AMAZING piece of mentalism.

I had the opportunity to sit down with Paul Wilson at the Paisley convention and he did this very trick for me among others. At the time I remeber saying: "That's the best card trick I've ever seen!"

And it remains the best card trick I've ever seen to this day.

So much so that I constantly resist purchasing the manuscript detailing the work on it because having seen Paul do it I know I wouldn't do it the justice it deserves.

He also done his three fly with coins but that's a whole other story....

Dave.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Yes!!
That is on his Twists of fate video too.
I use it all the time. It's great he came up with a way to shoot a double across ANY surface. It's really not that hard either.
Gotta love it!,
James linn

Quote:
On 2004-05-22 05:04, Kjellstrom wrote:
I can recall when he showed me a double push-off on the table with two regular cards, it was amazing. I have practised a lot and I do it like he did it Smile
Very useful when you work with double lifts.
Its extremely convincing when you throw 2 cards on the table as one.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Ohhhh nooo!!! Paypal again! Smile
Yours,

Ivan
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-05-22 02:53, cjmagicman wrote:
I didn't care for his Fan-2-C, Gypsy Monte, or Richocet, but I liked his Hit The Road DVD with Lee Asher.

He also has published his work on Dai Vernon's Out of Sight, Out of Mind. I believe Paul's version is called Out of Your Mind. It is an AMAZING piece of mentalism. I perform it all of the time. It can be done with a borrowed deck, totally impromptu. I can't recommend it enough.

Caleb

I thought the original Dai Vernon version was tops.

Don't know how it can be improved on, but will gladly check it out if you let me know where I can find it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
523 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Cjmagicman and others,

On the merit of the kudos I read here, I downloaded his Out of Your Mind. I should have learned my lesson when I recently returned his Predator Wallet. For me, it was a waste of my time and money. Both of these products as most everything else of his that I have seen require a good deal of handling and moves. As a mentalist, I passionately avoid anything that requires any kind of moves, flourishes or manipulations as all of those things give the impression that the spectators are now watching a "card trick."

Granted that it may be argued that Wilson does them so well that the audience doesn't pick up on his moves. And while that may be true (I have never seen him perform but I have seen others that do moves so well that you can't see them), I have neither the time nor inclination to devote the many hours, days, months and even years that is required to achieve that level of card handling. Especially when there are so many OTHER methods available that don't require ANY digital dexterity.

It's been my experience that when it comes to performing mentalism with cards (which is what I do), it's best not to use anything that requires any slight-of-hand.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Palm Beach Guy

Why do you perform magic then?

The Predator wallet rocks and the Out of your mind is awesome. Anything good requires some practice! I've seen your other posts and you do the same complaining and returning of product. I suggest you put in some practice and use some great material that you csan use for years to come!

Sly
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
He told you he does not do magic, but MENTALISM. Rather different.

PalmBeachGuy, you should get befriended with Peter Marucci.
Yours,

Ivan
Craig Crossman
View Profile
Special user
Palm Beach, Florida
523 Posts

Profile of Craig Crossman
Thanks for the explanation to Slydini62, Niva as you are correct!

Sly, I don't do "magic tricks." I am a mentalist. And some of my posts aren't a "complaint" but rather my opinion. I have posted many that compliment a product that I believe is of merit. Sorry if my posts have upset you (as indicated by the tone of your message to me) but I believe it is my prerogative to expressive my opinions and explanations as to why I feel that way.

I do however, take exception to your saying that "anything good requires some practice." There are COUNTLESS effects that require no practice whatsoever and do a GREAT job! Take the classic "Invisible" and "Brainwave" decks as perfect examples.

However, I am no stranger when it comes to practice. When I find something I LIKE, I do whatever is necessary to master it.

I'm glad you like the Predator wallet but for me, when I watch it being done, it looks like the performer is SEARCHING for something. Indexes take TIME to perform a location. So for me... I pass.

I do, however like the Miller Wallet. It's like a Himber but it offers FOUR outs, which I can amplify into sixteen! And all I do is OPEN it and I'm there. No index searching required.

As for Out of Mind, I'm glad you think it is awesome and that's your OPINION. I wouldn't presume to slam you for your opinion and I wouldn't become DEFENSIVE about it either.

Personally, I happen to think that "Out of This World" is a far better effect for cards. Other than the presentation, no practice is required yet it knocks people's socks off. Plus I add in a special ending where some cards are missed and I have a written prediction that indicates the missed cards by name! (That's where the mentalism comes in to play.)

But if you didn't like OOTW for whatever reason, I wouldn't ask you "Why do you do magic?" That borders on being insulting. You are entitled to your opinion as to what is good and what is bad, as I am to mine. Please remember that in the future, and try and avoid proselytizing.

And by the way, if you have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to offer, I would certainly appreciate hearing from you.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I LOVE his Twists of Fate and Restaurant videos. He's a fantastic performer.

I did return his Predator Wallet as I was given a brown wallet ( it was HORRIBLE ) and no choice in color. I'm sure he learned his lesson about sending items with no choice involved.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quote:
On 2004-05-23 15:59, PalmBeachGuy wrote:
Plus I add in a special ending where some cards are missed and I have a written prediction that indicates the missed cards by name! (That's where the mentalism comes in to play.)

What a brilliant idea. Great thinking on your part.

Incidently, I've seen Paul Wilson peform with his Predator wallet in person and I can honestly say I was BLOWN AWAY! Searching? No way, it was straight to the point. BOOM! A miracle, no doubt.

Dave.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I bet he carried a black wallet!!!

;-)
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
James Foster
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of James Foster
Quote:
On 2004-05-23 15:59, PalmBeachGuy wrote:
There are COUNTLESS effects that require no practice whatsoever and do a GREAT job! Take the classic "Invisible" and "Brainwave" decks as perfect examples.

It might be more accurate to state that many performers step up and perform COUNTLESS effects without practice simply because the methods appear to the magician to be self-working. However, I've seen enough tragedies with SELF-WORKING effects to honestly believe that those who consisently perform good magic are those who practice intelligently. And I'm not just referencing sleights. All aspects of performance must be practiced and rehearsed.

All the best,

James Foster
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » R. Paul Wilson's Products (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL