The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Laptop keyboard and chain link fence "optical illusion" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I'm curious if others have experienced this "illusion." If you stare at your computer keyboard (laptop or desktop) the same way you do at a "magic eye" illusion, the keys on the keyboard seem to "jump out" or become even more three-dimensional than they are in reality. I know this sounds a little strange. I get the same experience when looking at the links in a chain link fence. The repeating pattern seen by one eye merges with the repeating pattern seen by the other eye and creates a more intense feeling of depth.

Thoughts like these make me wonder about the evolution of the senses. In one sense (pardon the pun) there is really only one sense--the sense of touch. Hearing is vibration touching the eardrum. Sight is light touching the retina. Smell and taste likewise is scent and food touching our olfactory nerves and taste buds. With simple, one-celled animals there is only the sense of touch. As life evolved, so did the senses. Plant life existed long before animal life developed sight, but the plants had colors anyway. It was as if the universe knew that there would eventually be Beings who could perceive light eons before those Beings even existed. Think of rainbows... they existed in the sky long before there were creatures who could see them.

I sense a connection between this line of thought and the thought that every one of the cells in my body has the information for making a whole me. In a similar way, maybe every proton, neutron or electron has the information for making the whole universe.

Deep thoughts that sometimes keep me awake at night wondering. Reminds me if the final exam in the proverbial philosophy class where there is only one question: Why?

If you answered "Because" you got an A. If you answered "Why not?" you got a "B." If you wrote a three page essay, you maybe got a D.

I definitely have too much time on my hands...

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Yes, I think that anyone with a working depth sense can make a repeating view overlap with the "wrong" objects, providing a false sense of depth and size.

Not sure what you mean by the rest, but I find it a stretch to call smell and taste a sense of touch. Even if two different types of food touch your taste buds in exactly the same way they will taste differently. Same with the sense of cold and heat. It's not the feeling of the touch that is the sense.

Rainbows do not exist without anything registering them. What you say is as obvious as saying that the sun and raindrops existed before there were creatures who could see them. Yes, it's true, but I don't see why that'd be a revelation of some sort.

I don't think plants were colorful before there were insects.

/Tomas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Laptop keyboard and chain link fence "optical illusion" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL