The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » National Halloween Convention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
Last year (2009) was the start of what the ownership asked me to do: provide a haven for variety entertainers of all types who also are associated with Halloween. Professor Ouch set up his midway and the Olde City Sideshow rounded out the cast as well as provided some great footage that ended up being a part of fangoria.com's video blog for the event.

I had some ambitious goals for 2010. In truth, I had them for 2009 as well. Some of these are coming to light. Others will hopefully follow suit. That being said, on the sideshow/midway side of things, this year's cast of characters surpassed my expectations. Here are the Cliff Notes from the weekend:

Tony Gangi the Amazing Human Head appeared Friday and Saturday as well as sold/signed copies of his new book, Carny Sideshows: Weird Wonders of the Midway. Tony's mix of story and stunt is unique and very fun to watch. I can't wait to hear more feedback from those who purchased or won his book!

Professor Ouch spent most of the weekend in his Great American Odditorium. He hosted a special stage event on Sunday featuring an unanounced guest: Red Stuart! Red was also on the inside all weekend over at the Odditorium. Red was a welcome surprise, and my daughter is now the proud owner of a signed pink Red-swallowed light sword!

Dr. Mythsonian brought his Museum of Monsterous Oddities. All of Mike's stuff is of his own crafting, and quite original. His bannerline is unique and modern with a nice tip of the hat to banner artists of the past. It was great to see it Live as oppoesed to images on a computer screen.

Rich Hanf brought us the Medieval Weapons of War Show from the NY Renaissance Faire, hosted by Mistress Cheryl. Cheryl also took the stage twice, and it was fun to play off of her. She rolled right with every line and pitch I served, even coming back to the stage to partially "disarm" herself as a tease to get people to see the rest of her concealed weapons by paying to see them behind the curtain of the show.

James Taylor came up from the Beltway Region to visit us on Sunday. He took full advantage of the shows and the vendors, and it was good to see him after what has been far too long. We hope to add Mr. Taylor our panel of experts very soon!

Finally, Haunters' Got Talent gave us two working acts. The Insane Sam performed a five-minute set while walking on glass, including lifting a sink with his chin and thanking the audience by becoming a human cue card. The Psychic Side Show featuring EvilDan and Mistress Colleen the Sideshow Queen won Professor Scrye's Promising Performer Prize with their rendition of "The Human Straw." (The prize itself was sponsored by spookymagic.com and Outlaw Effects.)

Next Year promises to be interesting with the expansion of the midway area, a growing stage program, and the general themes of Steampunk and Seance as important overall themes of the convention.

Thank you to each and every person who has helped us make the show grow and be a welcome place for show folk over the past two years.

Happy Halloween!

Chris Handa
NHC Entertainment Director
Doctor Mythsonian
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Doctor Mythsonian
Chris, it was a great con! One of the smoothest run shows I've attended. Thanks for having me, and for your kind words. Looking forward to next year!
Doctor Mythsonian
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

One of my favorite moments of the weekend...

Click here to view attached image.
Doctor Mythsonian
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
I'm finally crawling out of my hole after being on the road for the better part of two weeks. I have to say, NHC was just too much fun! The folks running it were great, the vendors were terrific, and the attendees were great to talk to and just play with. It's great when you have so many people with common interests in one place. A job well done to all the behind-the-scenes folks at NHC...it was great!

--Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » National Halloween Convention (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL