The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dan Harlan's Awakening (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
magicbar
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicbar
Just had the pleasure of seeing Dan Harlan lecture her in Chicago. Very solid lecture and would have given it a solid recommendation. Some new, some old, pretty good stuff. That was until seeing his new effect - The Awakening. His improvement to the Professor's Nightmare is truly magnificent. I have seen a lot of magic and this is the first item in a long time that had me grinning from ear to ear. I truly felt like an 8 year old the first time grandpa made money come from my ears.

Simply a wonderful creation.
Randy B
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Randy B
Totally agree! This was a real highlight of the lecture!
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1173 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Is this on his latest 2 DVD set or a separate item?
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Randy B
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Randy B
It's a searate item, Dan had them for sale at the lecture, haven't seen them for sale anywhere else
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6165 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I can only imagine Dan putting his own sneaky spin on this. I'm sure it will make me actually want to do rope tricks again.

In the times that I spent with Dan I was constantly amazed and impressed by his mind. He just looks at stuff in a whole different way. I remember him doing a weird cards across thing that just kept fooling me on each level. It was a marvel.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Kakuna
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Kakuna
Can you describe the effect? Dan's stuff is just great.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2001 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Kakuna,
"The Awakening. His improvement to the Professor's Nightmare is truly magnificent"
You know what pro nightmare is, right?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2294 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I was just at a Harlan lecture. I admit I was fooled by this trick and purchased it, 20 bucks not. It is neat thinking and a neat effect. I may be too attached to my Fiber Optics set to change but this is pretty cool. The presentation really just involves change the three different length to the same lenght and back again several times in the blink of an eye. There is by-play where you essentially show them how the traditional Prof Nightmare works and then still fool them anyway. Dan presents this sort of as a magic just happens to me and I don't why.
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
It seems awfully close to Timothy Wenk's Insomnia routine. The principle is the same, though, the gimmick on the ropes from Dan Harlan makes the handling easier.

Sincerely,
David
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
945 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
I appreciate all the great comments on my new effect "The Awakening." To clear up any confusion, there is some relationship to Timothy Wenk's "Insomnia," but there are important differences. Yes, both routines display the ropes separate before and after the change, but (due to my contributions) "The Awakening" features multiple instantaneous changes and a very natural handling. It is definitely not the same trick. Here's a quick description:

You clearly show three separate ropes of different lengths (short, medium, long), and then (with NO moves) they instantly become the SAME length, AND they are clearly displayed separately! As if that were not enough, you then run the ropes once through your hand and they instantly revert to different lengths! This is repeated again with no suspicious moves at all. In fact, it looks just like real magic. Then, a pseudo-explanation is given in an effort to express how difficult it would be to do *without* magic. Following this, the different lengths are shown again and instantly change to the same simply when you begin to count them! You have to see it to appreciate it. Finally, the equal ropes are given a little tug that changes them back to three different lengths! (Note: This particular change made me giddy like a schoolgirl when I came up with it... literally giddy)

No disrespect to Mr. Wenk (whom I admire greatly), but you can't do that with "Insomnia." I hope to have a video of "The Awakening" posted soon so everyone can see for themselves.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Where can I purchase this item? It sounds great.
Can it be adapted to an existing rope routine?
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
This sounds great Dan!

A video would be nice, but I do hope you decide to sell this outside of your lectures. Just one question. Can the ropes be examined at anytime?
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
WayneL
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of WayneL
Welcome back Dan! I can't wait to get this.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I LOVE the moves from Dan's "Tightrope" routine from his DVD set "Harlan Live" so I hope this new rope routine gets marketted.

Is there a clip of it we can see ( if it can't be reverse engineered of course ).

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2069 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Quote:
On 2010-05-08 14:59, Gospel Dan wrote:
This sounds great Dan!

A video would be nice, but I do hope you decide to sell this outside of your lectures. Just one question. Can the ropes be examined at anytime?

Hi Gospel Dan,

I picked this up when Dan was in Cleveland. It's a very visual routine, but the ropes cannot be examined.

Regards, Steve
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I just came back 5 minutes ago from seeing Dan lecture in New York at the Long Island Mystics.

It was an excellent lecture and I enjoyed "the awakening" as well as many of his other effects....I suggest you buy it.

I just wish it came with a video DVD of the performance.....however, the written description is good and once you see the routine it will make sense to you....But, it is a fooler, if you don't know the method.

I suggest that you see Dan's lecture if you can.

Yawn......he is also a great and personable guy !
Long Island,

New York
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Thanks for answering my question Steve. It's not a deal breaker for me because I perform on stage as well. I usually perform Fiber Optics and I'm looking to add more rope tricks to my set. Awakenings sounds very interresting, and it has my attention.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
magicreviews
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicreviews
How does this from Ran Dayton's book about Professor's Nightmare also entitled Awakening?
magicreviews
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicreviews
Make than Ron Dayton ....aka KOTAH.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14043 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
My ears just perked up. I was surfing along the Café, here, when I glimpsed that Dan had a new routine. I immediately began salivating like a dog with a steak in front of his nose...

(Just kiddin'!)

Anyway, my wallet is in my hands ready to fork over the dough as soon as Dan releases this. His reputation alone is all it takes for me.

And when was the last time we saw a REAL, genuine improvement on profs nightmare?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dan Harlan's Awakening (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL