The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dan Harlan's Awakening (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Maxeroo
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Maxeroo
I think this is one of the all-time best bargains in magic. A fantastic, professional routine (Props included) for only twenty dollars! Thank you, Mr. Harlan!
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
991 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
I've finally found time to make video instructions for The Awakening. I'm offering these FREE to anyone who owns this effect. I've already sent the link to everyone who ever ordered directly from my site, but I'd like to make sure everybody else can get them, too... regardless of where you purchased The Awakening. If you're interested, simply contact me through my email address below and tell me how many illustrations are in the original printed instructions for The Awakening. If you've lost them, you can still contact me and include a small picture of yourself with the ropes. I'll respond with a link to the video.
--Dan Harlan
danharlanmagic@yahoo.com
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Illusion & Beyond
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Illusion & Beyond
I use this as a do as I do routine. All in the end I do professors nightmare with their ropes.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Extremely generous offer!

Thanks Dan!

Jim
The Great Dave
View Profile
Regular user
My Wife said "It's Me or that Stupid Magic Website!" this many times.
192 Posts

Profile of The Great Dave
And 8 years later Penguin is pitching it through email as their deal of the day for 39.95 with free shipping. I ordered one. A classic is always a classic.
Academy of Magical Arts

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat! Whoops, wrong hat ...
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
I just don't understand the hoopla around this effect.

The right hand is so obviously concealing something throughout the routine.

A prerequisite of this type of routine imo is that all three ropes are shown (or apparently shown) clearly and singly as equal or unequal. This simply does not meet that requirement.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
I open many of my smaller kids shows with Professor's Nightmare. The last time I did it some kid knew how it worked and shared that as well as the basic idea behind the method with the whole room. Shows are simply not the same when the opener is ruined that badly. I considered purchasing the Awakening so that would never happen again but then I realized that much stronger than the trick itself is the fact that they can examine the ropes afterwards. They're shocked that the ropes are ordinary. Even when I let someone inspect the ropes before they still want to inspect them again afterwards. You can be super clean but until they examine the ropes, they'll still think there is something fishy with them. If even Nick Locapo thought that there's something fishy with the ropes - https://www.facebook.com/penguinmagic/vi......9914938/ , your audience is likely to as well.

Have to think about it more. For $20 (as most of you paid), I would just buy it. For $40 I'm not as sure.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1372 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I think this trick is a great magician fooler but I am not as enthusiastic about it for laymen. Its effectiveness as an instant transformation is almost detrimental, because it's over so fast that the only way to make a whole routine out of it is to repeat it over and over again, which can get old. Other tricks that require repetition (such as the egg bag) can get away with it by changing the conditions each time, getting the spectators involved, or a surprise ending. None of which can be done really in this case (other than the phase with the psuedo-explanation of the "classic method")
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2814 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I think those are interesting and valid points Geoff.
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Fairhaven, MA
318 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
I picked this up at Magic Live last week. It's certainly a different take on the Professor's Nightmare plot and I think Dan does a nice job presenting it. While parts are repetitive his "I don't know how this works" patter adds enough comedic lines to keep the audience interested. It certainly did for me and that's one of the reasons I bought it. I would definitely recommend this.
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Quote:
On May 5, 2022, leipzisch wrote:
I just don't understand the hoopla around this effect.

The right hand is so obviously concealing something throughout the routine.

A prerequisite of this type of routine imo is that all three ropes are shown (or apparently shown) clearly and singly as equal or unequal. This simply does not meet that requirement.


To me it's a classic example of a fun piece of magic that wouldn't baffle anyone watching closely.

If that right hand could be opened and the rope in it shown, well...that would be another matter.
Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit Area Magicians & Mentalists (DAMM)
136 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
I'd suggest examining your handling. The beauty of the gimmick is that you essentially CAN open up your right hand. If your right hand is tightly closed, then yes, that looks suspicious! When I handle the rope, my right hand is very loose and it looks like the full length rope is simply draped over my open hand (with my thumb gently keeping it from falling to the floor). I'd say the gimmick and the effect are pretty top notch... frankly it's the patter I don't love and am trying to work with to make it more impactful.

Quote:
On May 26, 2022, leipzisch wrote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2022, leipzisch wrote:
I just don't understand the hoopla around this effect.

The right hand is so obviously concealing something throughout the routine.

A prerequisite of this type of routine imo is that all three ropes are shown (or apparently shown) clearly and singly as equal or unequal. This simply does not meet that requirement.


To me it's a classic example of a fun piece of magic that wouldn't baffle anyone watching closely.

If that right hand could be opened and the rope in it shown, well...that would be another matter.
Tada!...

.
timph
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of timph
I recently picked this up. It's an amazing routine and the video tutorials are top notch - thanks Dan Harlan.

Just a small point - my ropes have bands on the ends. Should I leave them where they are or take off?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1983 Posts

Profile of tbaer
If you are referring to the somewhat white glue-type bands, keep them on, it keeps the rope ends from fraying.
timph
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of timph
Thank you tbaer. Thought so, but wanted to check with the more knowledgeable people here!

Quote:
On Dec 8, 2022, tbaer wrote:
If you are referring to the somewhat white glue-type bands, keep them on, it keeps the rope ends from fraying.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2924 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2022, Dapperdan wrote:
I'd suggest examining your handling. The beauty of the gimmick is that you essentially CAN open up your right hand. If your right hand is tightly closed, then yes, that looks suspicious! When I handle the rope, my right hand is very loose and it looks like the full length rope is simply draped over my open hand (with my thumb gently keeping it from falling to the floor). I'd say the gimmick and the effect are pretty top notch... frankly it's the patter I don't love and am trying to work with to make it more impactful.

Quote:
On May 26, 2022, leipzisch wrote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2022, leipzisch wrote:
I just don't understand the hoopla around this effect.

The right hand is so obviously concealing something throughout the routine.

A prerequisite of this type of routine imo is that all three ropes are shown (or apparently shown) clearly and singly as equal or unequal. This simply does not meet that requirement.


To me it's a classic example of a fun piece of magic that wouldn't baffle anyone watching closely.

If that right hand could be opened and the rope in it shown, well...that would be another matter.

Exactly. This is how I present it as well. The way it's constructed actually allows for a fairer and more open handling. I can casually show everything with the fingers open and it's just so easy to hold this naturally.

The instant change is so visual. I've done this for almost 12 years now, with the same ropes, and it's never failed to work well and get strong reactions. While I love Professor's Nightmare, I find this version to look more magical.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dan Harlan's Awakening (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL