The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Vintage card cheat photo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
From the Cardshark blog. Great photo, I am still undecided if it was staged.

http://cardshark-online.blogspot.com/201......ard.html
Maitre D
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Maitre D
For many reasons, I find it obviously staged. Out of curiosity, I forwarded the photo to a friend who knows a thing or two about photography. This is what he had to say.

Quote:
I don't see any evidence of a bright flash, which is what they'd have used if it were an indoor candid photo, I'm sure. I also see no evidence of subject motion, which would be normal if it were shot by ambient light - therefore, they posed still to avoid motion.

Anyone who has read some of Scarne's old gambling books will be especially familiar with the high level of "candid" card cheating BSing that took place at the time.
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Interesting, which old Scarne books are you referencing I would like to check them out. I only have Scarne on Cards but I have been looking into his two autobiographies.

It seems catching card cheats in a candid moment has been a popular subject since Bosh and Caravaggio.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
It looks completely staged......100% staged if I had to put a number on it.

Great photo though, look nice on the library wall.
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Well, if it wasn't staged, the cheat would be suicidal lol. The minimum is to try to conceal things you don't want other could see. plus, everyone stare at the photographer...

100% staged.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Vintage card cheat photo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL