The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New Ducks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
I already use Doves and Rabbits at times in my shows but took the plunge and bought several baby ducks.

Right now they are very small, truly babies - any tips on training them, particularly in training them to be quiet in a Duck Bucket, etc. would be helpful and welcome.

Thank you.

Mike
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Red Neck Magician
View Profile
Regular user
Down Yonder
190 Posts

Profile of Red Neck Magician
I would say the ducks need to be a little older before you could start training them. I use to use a ducks in my show and they were messy and loud but they were a great production and the audience seem to like them. The look on the people face when the duck came out of the duck bucket. Here is some food for thought when you get the ducks to calm down hand out a duck bucket into the audience show it empty and put some kind of lock on it vanish a duck on stage and open the duck bucket up and the audience goes crazy especially the one holding the bucket during the routine.
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
What breed of duck?
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
I have 3 ducks - 2 Call ducks and 1 Pekin duck.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
The peking gets quite large, call ducks are rabbit sized and train pretty much the same. Did you gey male call ducks?
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Not sure of the sex of the ducks - the one call duck looks a little larger than the other - may be one male and one female - I am not sure but think the Pekin Duck is a male
Lucy
View Profile
New user
Alabama
26 Posts

Profile of Lucy
I have used a goose which I find more trainable and less smelly than ducks. Almost any fowl, except the parrot family, will usually be quiet in a close,dark space. They just go to sleep. With ducks and geese you need to handle them every day, and start them out following you. They will naturally follow their surrogate parent,(you) because that is how they are made. As they grow larger they get messier. I generally with hold food for a few hours before show, and I take the extra precaution of carrying colorful plastic tarps which I put on the stage where the bird will be performing. Having birds that follow you is really essential.
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
With call ducks, the male is the quieter of the 2
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Are call ducks "flyers" or capable of flying, everyone that I have seen raise them have them in pens with tops on them?? And they say they were for that reason. please fill me in
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
I have been told that the Pekin Duck will be unable to fly but the Call Ducks will indeed be capable of fligt.

Mike
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Love the call ducks, they fit easily into duck bucket and wringer. A good size and very visual.We used Peking, Man what a mess . Like Lucy,, we carried tarps, and when they go..... they go on them. ewww the smell...LOL. I was wondering about the use of call ducks, but was worried about the flying aspect?? Thanks for sharing your post with us. Let me know hoe the call ducks work out for you.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-05-16 00:46, Lucy wrote:
I have used a goose which I find more trainable and less smelly than ducks. Almost any fowl, except the parrot family, will usually be quiet in a close,dark space. They just go to sleep. With ducks and geese you need to handle them every day, and start them out following you. They will naturally follow their surrogate parent,(you) because that is how they are made. As they grow larger they get messier. I generally with hold food for a few hours before show, and I take the extra precaution of carrying colorful plastic tarps which I put on the stage where the bird will be performing. Having birds that follow you is really essential.

Hi Lucy. When I was a kid I was bitten several times by my grnadmother's geese, and I still have a fear of those things! For some reason they didn't like me and I was chased by them often. When they caught me it was painful! They usually bit me on the rump too!

P.S. Do you uses your goose to keep Bob in line? Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
When I had my last call duck the wings had been pinioned by the breeder so he couldn't fly, I found him @ a livestock show at a local fairgrounds. Clipping the wings, at least during training would most likely be a good idea.

Mine was named Tape, he was Duck Tape, just kidding his name was Ray after a local kidshow performer I grew up watching who had a peking duck as a regular feature on his show.
The host was WGN's own Ray Raynor who also played Oliver O Oliver the clown on Chicago's Bozo Circus
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Update: The Pekin Duck has really started to bond with me - soon will start the next phase in training as he has already been introduced to the duck bucket - he seems to like the bucket - lays down in it and is pretty quiet.
mrmagic9112
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of mrmagic9112
I have used white Call ducks for several years. Typically when they are by themselves like one in a duck bucket they are pretty quiet. When they are together they will be noisy usually. I had a Pekin duck for awhile but he got huge and didn't fit in the props anymore.

It helps not to feed them several hours prior to a show. This will cut down on the droppings. Feed them after. They will usually defecate when they get excited or nervous. Not much you can do to eliminate that.

My audiences love my duck and he is a great climax to my act.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
Hi Lucy. When I was a kid I was bitten several times by my grandmother's geese, and I still have a fear of those things! For some reason they didn't like me and I was chased by them often. When they caught me it was painful! They usually bit me on the rump too!

Regan

At Bob's age, he needs a good goosing every now and then to keep him moving. Smile
Where the magic begins
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Hey Lucy, I didn't know you were on here. I use chickens. I like the silkies. Do you have any?
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Pekin Duck has now made the transition to his outside Pen - Hopefully the Call Ducks will be able to join him in a week or two

Really looking forward to putting them into the act - As far as I know I will be the only one in my immediate area with ducks.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Hey rev mike,

yes I heard form my bird dealer that you picked up some ducks. I use ducks and chickens in my show and have for years now.
you will love the ducks and so will the audience. Ihave fun with my chickens as no one is using a chicken that's why I got some of those.

for the duck bucket when you put the duck inside withe the lid openhold the handle and give a litle swing back and forth and the duck with lower itself inside and calm down. then close the lid and our set. jsut a little trick I discovered last year wh ile working with my chickens and ducks.

have fun

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2010-05-25 15:17, Dave Scribner wrote:
Quote:
Hi Lucy. When I was a kid I was bitten several times by my grandmother's geese, and I still have a fear of those things! For some reason they didn't like me and I was chased by them often. When they caught me it was painful! They usually bit me on the rump too!

Regan

At Bob's age, he needs a good goosing every now and then to keep him moving. Smile

Bob, Dave said it, not me! Smile
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New Ducks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL