The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The great wall of .... beavers? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
As in "richard beaver"? wow.. I wonder what his middle name was?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
My Social Studies test wanted an example of a country, I wrote down 'pussy willow.'
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
614 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Welcome everyone. I am your dam guide, Arnie. Now I'm about to take you through a fully functional power plant, so please, no one wander off the dam tour and please take all the dam pictures you want. Now are there any dam questions?

Beavers are cool.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-05-10 21:34, TomKMagic wrote:
Welcome everyone. I am your dam guide, Arnie. Now I'm about to take you through a fully funtional power plant, so please, no one wander off the dam tour and please take all the dam pictures you want. Now are there any dam questions?

"Yeah, is this a *** dam?"

Beavis and Butt-Head do America.
A classic.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Dam huh? I'll be dam.
~Will Rogers
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I remember a few years ago, in college baseball, The University of South Carolina Gamecocks were playing the Oregon State Beavers.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-05-11 14:28, Dreadnought wrote:
I remember a few years ago, in college baseball, The University of South Carolina Gamecocks were playing the Oregon State Beavers.

Let's hope they meet the Trojans before that happens again.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-05-11 14:53, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-05-11 14:28, Dreadnought wrote:

Let's hope they meet the Trojans before that happens again.

To shield against the Seminoles.
~Will Rogers
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5718 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
That great wall of beavers CAN BE SEEN FROM SPACE?

How far away?

Can that great big wall of beavers be seen from Uranus?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

An update for our more mature readers Smile

Quote:
EDMONTON - An American explorer recently became the first person to set foot on the world's largest known beaver dam - an 850-metre-long fortress built painstakingly over decades in Wood Buffalo National Park.

After four years of planning and nine days of bushwhacking through swampland and dense boreal forest, Rob Mark reached the structure in the northeast corner of Alberta on July 20.

The location is so remote the only previous sightings of it have been made by satellite and fixed-wing aircraft.

"I had a great sense of accomplishment," Mark said by phone from Maplewood, N.J. "When it comes to being the first to go somewhere, besides the poles and some mountain ranges, there is not much left you can do."

Travelling by boat and on foot, it took Mark nine days to reach the dam, approximately 200 inhospitable kilometres from Fort Chipewyan. It took him nearly five hours to cover the last 1.6 km as he fought his way through a bog, often grabbing tree branches to keep from sinking deep into the muck.

Upon reaching the dam, he was greeted by one solitary beaver displeased by his presence.

"It was incredibly angry I was there," Mark said. "It kept slapping its tail against the water."

Discovered in 2007 by an Ottawa researcher using Google Earth, the dam easily exceeds the largest known previously, a 652-metre structure in Three Forks, Mont.

Mark reached the lodge in his second attempt, after being force to turn back during an expedition two years ago because of bad weather. The trip entails crossing open water in Lake Claire and then navigating through forest, swamp and muskeg.

Draped in bug netting, Mark slept at night in a hammock strung between trees.

"I spent a month in the jungle in the Amazon once, and the mosquitoes are worse getting to the dam," he said. "I have never encountered bugs that bad.

"They bit through my clothes. I had to wear my rain jacket the whole time. They sounded like helicopters."

In the midst of thick foliage, the dam was impossible for Mark to see from less than 18 metres away. The route he had mapped was accurate, however, and he achieved what nobody else has ever tried.

"It's undoubtedly a first," said Tim Gauthier, a spokesman for Wood Buffalo National Park, a UNESCO heritage site that encompasses portions of Alberta and the Northwest Territories. "That's one heck of an odyssey through incredibly inhospitable territory."

An amateur explorer who pays for his adventure trips by working as an IT professional, Mark is working on a paper detailing his trip.

Generations of industrious beavers have done an excellent construction job, Mark said. Barely able to walk through the wetlands, he was able to climb atop the dam, which is covered by grass and plants.

"I walked up and down," he said. "It was very solid."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
An update for our more mature readers Smile

Both of them?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Seems like a helicopter ride in would have been much easier.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Seems like a helicopter ride in would have been much easier.

Perhaps not the best way to observe an ecosystem that is isolated from human activity. And a heck of lot less adventurous too Smile
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
That's one heck of a dam, would be cool to get back there. I walked in bogs and marshes like they described and it's no picnic. It can be downright scary at times.

We had a beaver dam on our lake and I used to take the boat over to it and just study the thing. They are pretty cool to look at. Amazing amount of work and engineering.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5129 Posts

Profile of landmark
Cue Stephen King...
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4164 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Just arrested for trying to blow up the dam:

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The great wall of .... beavers? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL